• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

2017 Pin Releases

Status
Not open for further replies.
2017 Pin Releases
Well, I can't argue that Lady Tremain looks a little whack... lol. And holy evil, stoned Cruella, Batman. Looks like Cherna was spared the ugly stick, anyway. And Jafar and Yzma look pretty good. I mean, these aren't WDI quality villain profile pins, but they're not horrible.

Well, I can't argue that Lady Tremain looks a little whack... lol. And holy evil, stoned Cruella, Batman. Looks like Cherna was spared the ugly stick, anyway. And Jafar and Yzma look pretty good. I mean, these aren't WDI quality villain profile pins, but they're not horrible.
I think this is a key point. Dsf people (or at least the ones who gripe most loudly) are comparing them to wdi quality which, by and large, is far superior. Ultimately, I'd say is unfair to compare them, but some of these certainly didn't translate as well. Both Cruella and Yzma look a little boney, even Jafar. But, hey, when people are paying like 200+ for some of these after market and they're not plated in Disney gold which Walt himself blessed in his dying moments, then there will be some grousing.

Which means, there will be some grousing. XD

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I think this is a key point. Dsf people (or at least the ones who gripe most loudly) are comparing them to wdi quality which, by and large, is far superior. Ultimately, I'd say is unfair to compare them, but some of these certainly didn't translate as well. Both Cruella and Yzma look a little boney, even Jafar. But, hey, when people are paying like 200+ for some of these after market and they're not plated in Disney gold which Walt himself blessed in his dying moments, then there will be some grousing.

Which means, there will be some grousing. XD

I suspect this is part of David's point in his original post on this subtopic: For the $$$$ these things are garnering, some of them do not deliver. Rarity and exclusivity and overall demand influence price. But if someone's asking you to shell out $150 or more on the secondary market, it had better be a fine-lookin' pin. Otherwise, your personal choice of how much you want it will decline!

Mind if I ask why?
Of course not :)
I don't believe they've handled the pin on pin elements too well , specifically I'm thinking Yzma .
I just don't see them as being $100 pins , don't get me wrong I'm still going to be looking for a few but I'm going to be a bit more selective in those I'm after (Jafar / EQ / Facilier)
And if I'd been able to get them at close to cost I'd have taken the lot happily .
But I just feel the WDI Villains are much nicer in general , and I have nearly all the ones I want from that series already ;) and the ones left that I want are available for much less than $100 each (Except Gaston !)

Of course not :)
I don't believe they've handled the pin on pin elements too well , specifically I'm thinking Yzma .
I just don't see them as being $100 pins , don't get me wrong I'm still going to be looking for a few but I'm going to be a bit more selective in those I'm after (Jafar / EQ / Facilier)
And if I'd been able to get them at close to cost I'd have taken the lot happily .
But I just feel the WDI Villains are much nicer in general , and I have nearly all the ones I want from that series already ;) and the ones left that I want are available for much less than $100 each (Except Gaston !)
I'm hoping that once the exclusivity of these dies down, their price will drop too. I thinking specifically of the D23 pins that, in the course of a week, dropped almost 70%, and many of them are available for near cost now, even the wdi villain masks.

I'm hoping that once the exclusivity of these dies down, their price will drop too. I thinking specifically of the D23 pins that, in the course of a week, dropped almost 70%, and many of them are available for near cost now, even the wdi villain masks.

Completely agree . I don't see Mali dropping too much but the others may . Dr Facilier is currently going unsold around the $90 mark so hopefully he'll drop to $60 eventually and I can bite the bullet for him .
I bought a couple of masks for $40 each just after D23 and thought I got a good deal , if I'd waited until now I could have got both for around $30 each easily

Yes, I was there! And yes, I *may* have been *slightly* tempted to snag that Joy PTD off the board if at least two DSF employees weren't hovering by the boards at all times. ;)

One thing to keep in mind about the price - a significant number of people there were sponsored, and will be mailing or handing off the pins to their sponsors over the next week. Which means that it's possible that in 1-2 weeks or so a bunch of people who got two sets will be unloading at least one set onto the market. Which means undercutting to try and get their pins sold, which means prices go down.

Yes, I was there! And yes, I *may* have been *slightly* tempted to snag that Joy PTD off the board if at least two DSF employees weren't hovering by the boards at all times. ;)

One thing to keep in mind about the price - a significant number of people there were sponsored, and will be mailing or handing off the pins to their sponsors over the next week. Which means that it's possible that in 1-2 weeks or so a bunch of people who got two sets will be unloading at least one set onto the market. Which means undercutting to try and get their pins sold, which means prices go down.

I am expecting a dip in prices but some sponsorships were also split (with each sponsor getting 1 set of dark tales). A dip in prices in the next few weeks (maybe up until Christmas) and then prices rising again once they start going into forever collections and those trying to catch up come up empty handed.

However, I notice that a lot of the griping is being done by the people that didn't get it and are hyping their own fantasy pins as a better alternative.

I have them in hand so I will take pictures soon for here and the database, outside of the plastic. My friend doesn't get back until the end of the week from his business trip to NY.

However, the villains diecast marquee is just WOW!!

Last edited:
Here we go. I only took one or two of each. I would normally use natural light but the sun isn't shining into the house at this time and there's a smoke smell from Canyon Fire #2 in Anaheim Hills so no opening the doors to help with the light. This is taken with the daylight bulbs on in the dining room.

22361077_698160353711840_452783063_n.jpg

22386354_698160357045173_105855472_n.jpg

22361218_698160340378508_2028235874_n.jpg

The 3-D/pin on pin element is the playing cards.

22384898_698160343711841_1794767942_n.jpg

The pin on pin element are Cruella's hands and steering wheel.

22361290_698160333711842_968172137_n.jpg

The pin on pin element is Diablo.

22386239_698160327045176_348546827_n.jpg

The pin on pin element is Lady Tremaine and Lucifer. She is giving us the evil eye / cunning look.

22361128_698160347045174_334630769_n.jpg

Pin on Pin element is Iago. There are stars in the night sky too (not pin on pin).

22407472_698160330378509_518665369_n.jpg

Scar's face is the pin on pin element of this ( was expecting the mouse)

22385131_698160407045168_168359682_n.jpg

pin on pin is the skeleton holding the stick/staff.

22447067_698160410378501_1498839079_n.jpg

Yzma's body and headpiece (minus the fanned out portion) are the pin on pin elements.

I’m going to hope they drop. I know Maleficent won’t because she rarely does, but I figure Hades and Facilier will,
as those are the other two of the three I wanted from this set.

I will say though, Lady Tremaine’s eyes are a little odd.

This thread is hilarious reading everyone's pain on upcoming releases. I Like Cruella's use of depth perception/pin on pin the most. The mouse would be a cool pin to take off if it was the pin on pin for Scar. I think that mini pin would go for more than the DT pin itself. Do you guys still think the DT's will stay low in value once more filter out of the market and less are available for trade? I personally loved this series and the idea behind it. Do you all think the new ptds are going to still be flips with cards or released at releases?

Not to add to the gripe, because I still want this pin, but why does Alice have no fingers ? The cards all got fingers, but since when is alice wearing flesh colored mittens ???

watch out on how you clean off or rub the front of the dark tales pins, the paint on the pin (smile line, eyebrows, eye pupils) will rub off to reveal the gold behind it

i tried to wipe off a speck(not even hard) on the queen of hearts dark tales I had then half of her mouth line went missing and wound up on my finger it seems they made these very cheap.

Last edited:
I thought I read that the DTs were supposed to have translucent elements, too? Has anyone held theirs up to the light yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back