Beware of WDW 2017 Hidden Mickey Scrappers

Discussion in 'Pin Comparison' started by starry_solo, Jun 18, 2017.

1. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    509   0   0

So, on my recent trip to WDW (from 5/13 to 5/27), we discovered that the 2017 Hidden Mickeys from WDW have been scrapped. Not all of them, just these:

WDW/DLR shared release of the Villains Chins - Ursula, Scar

Attraction Icons: Figment, Dinosaur, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Dumbo

Fruit: Yellow and Red fruit (that's the lemon and apple)

Chaser: Ursula Chin and Figment Icon

While the pins were glossy (very), there was underfill, so it looked like soft enamel rather than hard (very obvious dips) and the backs were different. The words were more smooshed together and were larger too (specifically the words that said Hidden Mickey Pin x of 5), maybe by 5-10%.

2. Shelterkat

Shelterkat A Very Merry Unbirthday!

Rating - 100%
    370   0   0

:rant: Ugh!

3. FoolishMortal71

FoolishMortal71 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0

Yeah, I found a Figment at Disneyland on my last trip and a friend just brought me a Figment from WDW. It's very obvious that the one I got at DL is a scrapper. These people are quick. Grr.

4. pretty Omi

pretty Omi Resident Smol Wolf

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

More fruits than those, I pulled scrappers of the watermelon and the pineapple rings too :<

5. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    509   0   0

I haven't been to DLR yet, but did see someone post that they got some bones and they are in CA, so I'm assuming they found them at DLR.

It is pretty obvious which is the scrapper and which isn't when you have both in front of you. I asked to see the backs of suspected scrappers from CMs at WDW and then once I saw them, did not trade for them.

6. NDBounce

NDBounce Member

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0

Grapes chaser has been faked as well. I get a sense that the chasers are easier to fake.

I also had a fake Paw Print - I *think* it was Pumba, but my memory is not serving me 100%

7. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    509   0   0

I do too! Probably because of the lack of color.

8. GreyWyvern

GreyWyvern Figment Fan Since '84

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

Could anyone post pictures in this thread? That would be very helpful! :)

9. MerlinEmrys

MerlinEmrys Hicitus Pinicus!

Rating - 100%
    476   0   0

The Attraction Icon ones are pretty obvious to spot. They're REALLY bad. The fruits are a tad trickier, especially the Lemon. I'll see if I can hunt down some pictures.

~Merlin

10. Disneychildwithin

Disneychildwithin Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    75   0   0

I second pics please!

11. NDBounce

NDBounce Member

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0

Sadly, I scrapped mine already :( I should have thought to take pics. I can tell you on mine the backs had the infamous border issues, and were not shiny like the real ones.

12. Elysium

Elysium Member

0   0   0

Yeah, they're super glossy and the fruit, especially the watermelon, have raised details.

I've also noticed a general shortage of new HM orders coming into the parks and WDW resort as a whole fwiw.

Many pin friendly CM's are having trouble finding new pins to trade.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  13. Amanda1313

Amanda1313 New Member

0   0   0

It's not a lemon. It's a green/yellow apple and a red apple.

14. Amanda1313

Amanda1313 New Member

0   0   0

I should also mention I have 100% authentic of all WDW sets for 2017. If someone posts their pic I can tell if it's authentic or not if they are in question.

15. swscref

swscref Active Member

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0

The Scar paw also has a counterfeit. I had one last July when I was there and compared it to a real one. Colors on the front are slightly off, counterfeit is thinner, edges aren't smooth like real one, back chroming is very rough and the back stamping is also not consistent with the real one. I did take pics, so if I can find them, I will post them.

Disneychildwithin likes this.
  16. bookhugger

bookhugger I love books!

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

I think they scrapped or counterfeited all of them

17. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    509   0   0

They did :p But I've seen real ones at DLR (well the DTD side at least)...and fake ones too :p

18. JP2018

JP2018 Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I went to WDW recently (late February) and most of the Hidden Mickeys I saw on boards or CM lanyards were scrappers unfortunately :(