Calling all Disney history buffs...why was Sleeping beauty castle built before movie came out?

Discussion in 'Disney Chat' started by Disneychildwithin, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Disneychildwithin

Disneychildwithin Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    66   0   0

So I was just going over a bit of Disney trivia and realized that the park opened in 1955 yet Sleeping Beauty came out in 1959. I got curious and wanted to pick everyone's brain.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

2. hopemax

hopemax DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    164   0   0

In the car...short answer...advertising.

3. chubs191

chubs191 Beautiful Tomorrow Admirer

Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0

I read that it was originally going to be Snow White's Castle but they changed it to advertise a movie coming out 4 years later.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  4. MerlinEmrys

MerlinEmrys Hicitus Pinicus!

Rating - 100%
    443   0   0

Longer answer, advertising. XD

SB was a massive investment because it was so painstaking to make. (And it took 10 years to make, it I'm not mistaken), so Walt wanted to be sure to make that investment back.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

pincrazy and Disneychildwithin like this.
  5. Disneychildwithin

Rating - 100%
    66   0   0

Wow, talk about having to wait...so people walking around the park were saying, "boy, I sure can't wait for the movie to come out in 4 years."
    That would've absolutely killed me! As it is I'm dying for the next Avengers...even the wait for black panther has me on edge.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

CCofRR13 likes this.
  6. hopemax

Rating - 100%
    164   0   0

Imagine walking around Disneyland in 1961 being handed an announcement about the new Haunted Mansion, and then seeing the exterior completed in 1963...but the ride didn't open until 1969.

pincrazy and caw caw rawr like this.
  7. Purplemandms

Purplemandms Like the candy!

Rating - 100%
    54   0   0

I mean they're doing the same thing with the new avatar movies....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MerlinEmrys likes this.
  8. MerlinEmrys

MerlinEmrys Hicitus Pinicus!

Rating - 100%
    443   0   0

This. For sure.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

9. Disneychildwithin

Rating - 100%
    66   0   0

Actually, now that I think about it, it wouldn't be so bad considering it would probably take me that long or more to go again!

10. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    240   0   0

They probably had more patience for this kind of thing back then, too. We're very instant gratification-y nowadays.

pincrazy and Disneychildwithin like this.
  11. hopemax

Rating - 100%
    164   0   0

Plus, in 1955 how many avenues did a person have to hear about upcoming anything?

12. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

Can you imagine the people wondering when the movie would be released?

13. pretty Omi

pretty Omi Resident Smol Wolf

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Here's a pretty good breakdown of the history of the castle. I remember they had a lot of this up on posters around the castle when it was under refurb back during the 50th anniversary.
    History of Sleeping Beauty Castle - TouringPlans.com - blog | TouringPlans.com Blog
    I can't quite find an exact reason, but the film WAS in production when they built the castle in the park, even if it came out later. So they just designed the park castle the way they wanted for a castle for people to walk up to, but the art for the film took a different direction. They built the walkthrough in 1957 to help promote the film.

14. shooting4ownhand

shooting4ownhand Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0

It ended up taking 9 years. The film release kept getting pushed back. It was originally supposed to come out within the year of Disneyland opening.

15. shooting4ownhand

shooting4ownhand Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0

There was a lot of advertising of films, just like today. The films were promoted through branding of other products along with traditional movie advertisements (posters, build boards, etc). Snow White and many of the earlier characters were used in advertising after they became a big hit. When Snow White became a big hit, she was used to sell everything. I've seen Snow White products for kids and adults (cleaning supplies was one of the main things). Cinderella was the first film to have mass branding before the film came out. She was on toys, products, and advertising for other products/services (she was used to sell dry cleaning). One of the reasons Cinderella was a massive hit was the marketing prior to the movie's release and unlike Sleeping Beauty, it was a cheap film to make. While Sleeping Beauty did have marketing and merchandising before and after the release, the film cost so much to make it didn't make back its budget until its second release in theaters.

16. Ksnuggles

Ksnuggles Resident Cake Baker Staff Member DPF Moderator DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0

Beginning April 29, 1957, visitors were able to walk through the castle and view several dioramas depicting the story of Sleeping Beauty. So while they waited for the movie to be released the guests got kind of a sneak peek at the story.

coblj003 and Disneychildwithin like this.