• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Card Backers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Card Backers?

MasteringMatt

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I just received my first pin boards for Christmas and I was curious what people do with their card backers. Right now I have them all bundled together. I am assuming I want to keep them but not sure. Just wanting to hear what other people do. Looking forward to hearing your feedback.

I keep special ones - like for holidays or events - and a small stash of the plain ones. Since I frame a lot of my pins, keeping all of them would be silly for me. Every once in a while someone will request them for projects or whatever, so I'll send stashes to them.

I keep special ones - like for holidays or events - and a small stash of the plain ones. Since I frame a lot of my pins, keeping all of them would be silly for me. Every once in a while someone will request them for projects or whatever, so I'll send stashes to them.
So the pin doesn't lose it's value at all without the backer?

I keep all of my backer cards. May be overkill, but I like to have them just in case. I just put a little sticky note on the ones that have basic cards, so I can remember which card went with which pin. I more so do that with my limited edition pins. The rack pins I dont usually label.

I keep all my LE backing cards, I don't take them off in my trader book. I've seen lots of other traders take them off to make more room in their books for more pins and keep the backing in a Ziploc if someone wants them with the pin.
I guess it's mostly preference, I'm sure that in a way just like not having an original box decreases the value of a collectable, not having the backing cards for certain pins may decrease the value. Some traders won't trade without the backing cards.
I think people like them more to prove authenticity. But I guess for OE pins it may not matter as much, unless it came with some special type of backing.... >.> or tin or box, sometimes I ask if they can cut the backing out if it was from a box collection and I'm only getting part of the set. So many decisions... but many pins that I get don't have backing cards and I don't feel their worth any different from the ones that do.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

If the pin is a trader, I keep the pin on it's card. If the pin is part of one of our displayed collections (mine, hubbie and two sons have collections), if it came on a card, I keep it in a box. Unfortunately, I never marked or indicted which card goes with which pin. I probably should try to do that...

I agree with Sami's take on the value of a pin with or without a card backer.

I like keeping them on their cards because I use the binder with baseball card pages to store or trade with and fits well. It keeps the pins in the holder and protects the pages from collapsing, keeps the pages from folding. Cards also identifies easily if it's an LE, OE, from events or locations/parks. Some traders like the pins on the cards, shows also the care of the pin. After buying a pin, if I don't put it in my binder, and store it in a box I'll store the pin with card in a plastic bag so the pins don't directly hit each other and the cards will act as the spacer or support in the bag. Hope this helps:)

So the pin doesn't lose it's value at all without the backer?

It depends on the person, but it seems like the majority of people value pins more when they come with their original backing card.

Tip: if you separate the pin from the backing card for display or storage, put a small sticker on the back of the card with the pinpics number of the pin it belongs to, and maybe a category (like "BATB"), in case you decide to trade it in the future you can find the correct card. I didn't do this, and I have stacks of cards that I can't identify what pin it originally belonged to. ;)

I keep all my traders with their backers when I can and I do keep all the backers for my collection though I haven't labelled them so not sure how much use they are going to be but just in case I do change collections I can hopefully pair them together.

These are some good insights!

Currently, I keep all my backing cards for my keeps and write a little note on the back to describe the pin. Maybe a less permanent note would be better.. but whatever! I keep my PODH cards in a separate binder with the baseball card holders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back