• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

chat won't work (java problem?)

chat won't work (java problem?)

moorhunhe

Active DPF Member
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I've been trying for a while now to enter the chat, and it keeps saying I need to install Java, but my Java is updated everytime I get the pop-up, so I should have the latest version.
I have IE 11.

I also have the latest FireFox, and it just refuses to install the plug-in to get into the chat.

*frustrating*

Tried it, and it still won't work.

I keep getting a message that something is blocked because it's an unknown "thing" ?

Nothing in Chrome at all, it won't even log me in -_-
I enter my details right top corner, it then says "thank you for logging in" and then I'm not logged in afterall.

I don't know what I did, but I tried installing it again on all 3 browsers I have, and now all of the sudden it does seem to work again in IE o_O no idea what I did differently.

Thanks for all the help guys!

On my computer it wasn't so much Java as the chat application that was being blocked. You have to go into the Java secutiry settings and directly enter the chat url but the client url in order to allow it to bypass the security. I shall see if I can take a few screen shots of what I had to do. Although I do use a mac so this might be slightly different.

On my computer it wasn't so much Java as the chat application that was being blocked. You have to go into the Java secutiry settings and directly enter the chat url but the client url in order to allow it to bypass the security. I shall see if I can take a few screen shots of what I had to do. Although I do use a mac so this might be slightly different.

If any one can say how to clearly access the Java Control Panel on Windows this could be very helpful.

So the first step on a mac is to open your system preferences, this should look like this:
tumblr_n6ffg6evJm1qh60jvo4_1280.png

Once it has been opened, you will need to click on Java down at the bottom. This will open the Java Control Panel, and should look like this:

tumblr_n6ffg6evJm1qh60jvo3_1280.png

This is where I am assuming it will become the same for both Windows and Mac users once at this stage (As you can see I am running chat in the background so this clearly worked for me).

From this point you will need to click on the Security tab at the top of the Java Control Panel. Once click it should appear like this:

tumblr_n6ffg6evJm1qh60jvo2_1280.png

Now as you can see in order to run chat you do not need to reduce your secutiry level. I would leave this at high (unless changed for another reason). What you do need to do is add two URLs to the exception site list. (I needed both in order to run the chat room so I would recommend that both are added in order to make sure it is working).

Here is a close up of the URLs that need to be added:
tumblr_n6ffg6evJm1qh60jvo1_1280.png

You must click on Edit Site List and then click on Add in order to 'Add' both of these URLs. I can add another screen shot of this stage if somebody needs it seems quite self explanatory.

You may also get a security warning when you try to open chat but just click run and hopefully (fingers crossed) it should run fine.
Again I apologise if this does not work for Windows users having difficulties but it should hopefully work for Mac users with the lastest software.
Please let me know if this does work for Windows or if there is any extra help you might need.

Feel free to PM me for further help if needed. Hope this helps,

Karl.

Yes, I tried what you mentioned above, and all I get now is the question if I want to run the application or not, click "run" and it worked *yay*

I have no idea why it worked perfectly fine this morning, and stopped this afternoon >.<

Back