CLOSING: Animal Kingdom's Flights of Wonder

Discussion in 'Disney Chat' started by Purplemandms, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Purplemandms

Purplemandms Like the candy!

Rating - 100%
    54   0   0

Hello all. Sad news from your resident bird nerd. :(

The ever-loved show "Flights of Wonder" will be making its final appearance on December 31st (a date it seems many pass holders ((including myself)) are upset with because it falls within our blackout dates).

Here's the full announcement from the Disney Parks' Blog:

[​IMG]

Today, we’re continuing our 12 Days of Disney Parks Christmas announcements with first details about an all-new show coming to Disney’s Animal Kingdom in Spring 2018 featuring Russell and Dug from Disney•Pixar’s “UP.”

Beginning just in time for the 20th anniversary of Disney’s Animal Kingdom next year, this new experience will offer guests the chance to see Senior Wilderness Explorer Russell and his furry friend Dug as they discover species of birds from around the world in their newest adventure at the Caravan Theater in Anandapur village. There will be “UP” close encounters each day with amazing winged creatures!

As you plan ahead, we also wanted to let you know that in order to begin to prepare for the new show at Disney’s Animal Kingdom, December 31, 2017 will be the final showing of Flights of Wonder. Until the end of this month, you can still experience Flights of Wonder at the park.

Keep checking the Disney Parks Blog for future updates on the new experience with Russell and Dug from Disney•Pixar’s “UP” coming to Disney’s Animal Kingdom in Spring 2018.

Although it does seem that this new show will also include some winged creatures, it's still a hard blow just for sentimental reasons. (It was my absolute favorite thing in the parks as a kid!) If anyone happens to see the new show, please let us know how it is - or if anyone would like to join in the conversation please do! My head is still spinning from the announcement (or the pain meds... it's hard to tell.)

[​IMG]

2. Ajk

Ajk Not so new anymore.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0

Thanks for sharing this news. I wasn't aware of it. I have to say I am sad to hear about it as I really enjoy flights of wonder as well. And it worries me that they feel the need to stick characters in everything. Really not needed here and feels like it will detract from what the show is all about. Why can't this park just be about animals? But at least it sounds like it might still be largely the same show but with a different presentation. I hope.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    Purplemandms likes this.
  3. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

I never got to experience it other then giving out fast passes for it lol. It's always a shame when a beloved attraction closes down whether it's due an aging attraction, licensing issues, or in this case for more product placement...

4. lohofosho

lohofosho Goin' Down the Bayou

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0

My family is pretty bummed about this! We LOVE the Flights of Wonder. Always made a a point to watch it during our visits. We will definitely miss it!