Darkside half?

Discussion in 'Disney Chat' started by xdattax, Apr 18, 2018.

1. xdattax

xdattax Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    58   0   0

Anyone else running this weekend?

I’m unintentially almost doing dead last start, I’m in the last corral.

They’ve issued a humidity warning butnim hoping it’s not as bad as Princess was.

I’m under trained, have gained some weight recently, but still have full confidence in myself in finishing. Slow, but will finish. Yeah. No parade buses for me.

So, everyone, toss me some pixie dust on Saturday and Sunday, since I’m doing the challenge.

Thx!

bcol likes this.
  2. DisneyJ

DisneyJ eBay Enabler

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

Good luck!

[​IMG]

xdattax and Disneychildwithin like this.
  3. Blurkishgirl

Blurkishgirl Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Wow, how exciting! Last is still 10×'s better than those couch surfing(me)! You will do amazing....lots of pixie dust and high fives! [​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

4. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    76   0   0

You go girl!

xdattax likes this.
  5. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    115   0   0

how about some pizza? :p
    [​IMG]

bcol and xdattax like this.
  6. Haunted575

Haunted575 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0

Phew phew...,Hats off to you for doing the challenge! Haunted JR and I are doing the 5K - our first mother/daughter race!! So excited.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xdattax likes this.
  7. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    256   0   0

Whoo, you got this!!!

xdattax likes this.
  8. AvatarAng1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0

This is actually me

bcol and xdattax like this.
  9. xdattax

Rating - 100%
    58   0   0

Thanks all! :)

Haunted, that’s awesome! I do the Princess 5K with my mom.

So many people passing up the pizza! For the 10K at Princess someone was at the boardwalk handing out small cups of Corona. I definitely grabbed a beer on the go!

Haunted575 likes this.
  10. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    256   0   0

I admire anyone doing the races in Florida. After Dark Side a few years ago, pretty much the only thing that would get me to do a race in Florida ever again is if the theme was something I just couldn't pass up, like if they did an Inside Out race weekend.

11. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

I give you so much credit for even attempting this ... but I know you're going to succeed! You've totally got this. Be sure to post pictures both at the finish line and with your completion medals!

12. xdattax

Rating - 100%
    58   0   0

So far, this weekend hasn’t been as bad as Princess, weatherwise. It was in the 60s this morning and about 70 about a half hour ago. Humidity wasn’t terrible.

But yeah, the first Darkside almost killed my interest in running, period. I was sobbing on the road back out from AK. I didn’t think I was going to make it. Everything was falling apart that race, and when I saw the balloon ladies I panicked and ran harder than I should have. The dirt road, everything about that course was AWFUL. But I finished. And last year I ran a race that made Darkside 16 look like a creampuff race (Mermaid in Weeki Watcchi, if you saw the article in Runner’s World)

But, here’s the medal today!

[​IMG]

Of course my little running buddies are there too.

13. Blurkishgirl

Blurkishgirl Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Congratulations! You rock!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

xdattax likes this.
  14. slbrabham

slbrabham Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0

Congrats!

xdattax likes this.
  15. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    256   0   0

Whohoo!!!! Way to go!

xdattax likes this.
  16. xdattax

Rating - 100%
    58   0   0

Oh my god guys. I’m at the expo. I just dropped coin to do the Pluto 5k and Donald half in January, Princess Challenge in Feb (5k is sold out, will have to battle the passholder registration in June), and Darkside Challenge next April.

What is wrong with me????!!!

17. DisneyJ

DisneyJ eBay Enabler

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

Absolutely nothing! You want to continue to challenge yourself.

xdattax likes this.
  18. dancecats

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Congratulations, I knew you could (and would) do it! You should be very proud of yourself!

xdattax likes this.
  19. dancecats

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Absolutely nothing at all. You want to keep challenging yourself and (maybe) inspire others to get off their bums and start running too!

xdattax likes this.
  20. mickeymousje

mickeymousje Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    378   0   1

Congrats!! Way to go!!

xdattax likes this.
  21. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    256   0   0

Whoo! And we'll be here to cheer you on for all of those, as well! (And no-so-patiently awaiting the return of California runDisney...)

How did the Dark Side Half go?

xdattax likes this.
  22. xdattax

Rating - 100%
    58   0   0

It went well. Not the worst race I’ve done but not the best.

HOWEVER:

I finished.

That’s the best I can say. The 10 was comfortable and I finished strong even if the time, while faster than Princesses, was nothing to write home about.

The half. Oh the half. Coming off not taking any of my on course nutrition (read: Gu) for the 10, I was thinking I could do the same thing for the half.

HA.

HA.

HA.

I bonked. I bonked dirty. I was on pace for a my best time yet (still, nothing special, but a PR is a PR). And I bonked. Around mile 8 I finally took a Gu. Didn’t kick in till around 10. Took more then. Used 3 where I usually do 6, sometimes 7. I have learned. Take the damned Gu starting around mile 3. Just refuel. I didn’t even eat my gummy bears I took with me and I don’t know why. Same for not taking the Gu. (This stuff if you’re not familiar: GU Energy Gel)

I was dehydrated because the humidity zapped me and I was sweating like you wouldn’t believe. At least it wasn’t very hot and there was a breeze.

At one point I was 20 feet from the pace runners and the pace bike riders were saying if you fell behind you would be swept while we’re running through World Showcase. The race ends in the parking lot of Epcot! How the heck are they going to sweep us here?! There’s no where else to go but the finish line that’s less than 3/4 a mile away. I took off running like PD was after me and my key of coke. I finally about 150-200 feet between myself and them near finish. Before Mouseworks in Epcot that’s about when My running partner yelled to me from about 15 feet behind me “Patricia, GO! Run!” That’s when I saw the Deathstar balloons that close. He was waking at that point. He was passed at Spaceship Earth.

He wound up finishing several minutes after me, had to hit the medical tent for ice for his back and was having a hard time walking yesterday afternoon. We went on Pirates then left MK to head home.

Darkside is stressful, since the first year I ran it I about had a panic attack for fear of being swept (2016) and the course was terrible.

I’m obviously a glutton for punishment, since I did next to no training for this and finished 3:36.

But anyway. Pictures!

[​IMG]

Challenge and half medals.

[​IMG]

Obligatory castle victory pic.

So, TL;DR, train, use your nutrition, and don’t be a hard headed ass about either.

I’m a little disappointed I didn’t get the I Did It! Challenge shirt, but I was a little in sticker shock after paying for the other bibs and down payments on hotel rooms. I might ask my cast member friends if that shirt pops up in the CM store if they could grab it for me. But those sell out quickly in certain sizes.

23. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    256   0   0

Yipes, that sounds like a pretty awful end to the race. I saw on Facebook that people were being swept at World Showcase. Yeesh!

But yes, you finished! And now you know what to do for future races to help yourself.

24. dancecats

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

I would focus on the important thing here: YOU FINISHED! Congratulations! From what I've heard, finishing is not an easy thing to do - and not everyone who attempts this challenge (and it is a challenge) is able to complete it. I've been (and still am) very athletic - and I'm not sure I could accomplish what you did this past weekend. I think you should be very proud of what you have achieved - and you now can apply what you have learned to help yourself for future races.

timeerkat and xdattax like this.