• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

debating what to do about a scrapper in trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
debating what to do about a scrapper in trade

Vixy

The Girl That's Never Been
Rating - 100%
256   0   0
So I'm probably agonizing over a minor issue, but I just wondered what other people think.

I did a three-for-three trade with someone on pinpics, and one of the pins I got I'm almost sure is a scrapper. Hidden Mickey, a bit dull, a dip in the enamel, and a blob of silver where there shouldn't be.

On the one hand, I could email him about it. He traded with me once before and has been very easygoing and kind to a newbie; I don't believe he sent it knowingly. And I tell him that one of the ones I was sending him *might* be a scrapper, I wasn't sure. He wrote that he wasn't too concerned about it because scrappers are hard to spot these days. (In the end I zapped him with both versions of the pin in question, in case *one* at least was real; so I sent my 4 for his 3.)

On the other hand, my other trade with him was before I learned about scrappers, and it's entirely possible I've sent him or someone else one before I learned about them. And it wasn't a high-end deal or anything; it almost seems to small to bother. Right now I'm leaning toward chalking this up to "live and learn", and also maybe stopping doing any trading of Hidden Mickeys online (or just accepting that that's the risk I take when doing so).

When I wound up with scrappers from an ebay seller, I asked for (and got) a refund, but that seems a little different to me since there was money involved. I'm not sure what to do here; if I do email him, I'm not sure exactly what to say. Ask for one of my pins back? Ask him to send me another one of his? Just tell him it's a scrapper and wait to see what *he* offers to do about it? Do I offer to send the scrapper back? Is there etiquette here?

What would you guys do?

I got a scrapper in trade and the pin I sent I knew was real. I emailed the person to let him know it was a scrapper and he was very nasty about it! He insisted it was real but then offered to send me something else instead. I asked him to reverse the trade and he did but was not happy about it! My thing is a trade isn't a good trade if both traders aren't happy! Hope this helps.

I accidentally sent someone a scrapper in a trade. They were very kind about it, and told me that they weren't upset with me at all, but that they thought I should know, and be more cautious in the future about what pins I send out. I apologized profusely and told them not to worry about sending me their pin, but they did anyway as a zap, and sent the scrapper back, as well.

I would suggest you go the same route as the girl I traded with: Tell him that you suspect one of the pins he sent is a scrapper, and warn him to be more careful in the future, since he probably honestly didn't know what he sent you wasn't real. Let him decide what to do with that information - Maybe he'll send your pin back and maybe he won't, but at least he'll know, and hopefully he'll be less likely to send out scrappers in the future.

Of course, the pins I was trading were fairly common Hidden Mickeys. If the pins you sent were more valuable, maybe you should decide to go a different route in resolving the matter. Either way, I wish you the best of luck!

Last edited:
Sora, I took your advice and just let him know in email. He apologized, and offered to have a look at his other pin like it and if that one's not good either, to keep an eye out for a better one.

Not a terribly different outcome than if I hadn't said anything, but I feel good about it in this case. Thanks. :)

What pins were they?

Judy

Oh sorry-- it was this one: [pinpics]44532[/pinpics], Hidden Mickey watch collection, Queen of Hearts. The chain links are filled in, there's dips in the enamel, enamel is dull, and a blob of silver on her nose.

Turns out all four of my Hidden Mickey watch collection are scrappers-- all have the chain links filled in yellow, which the pinpics pages say they're not supposed to. It seems likely that it's hard to find real ones of those.

I had one bad scrapper which was also rusty sent to me but when I pointed it out the person was good about it and done areverse trade
but I think I was lucky the person was just new :)

That would be awesome! It doesn't look like I have anything equivalent that you want, though... :/

I have the Queen of Hearts and the March Hare from that set and Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum from the second set. Just so you know, the yellow on the second set is a slightly different color than the first set. That's the way they came.

Just so you know, our queens all have the extra dot of silver on the nose near the eyes including the ones in our collections and we got them all at DLR when they were released! They are all good pins. The one you got may be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back