Destination D (WDW): November 16-18, 2018 - Please post your reviews!

Discussion in 'Pin Trading Gatherings' started by starry_solo, Feb 13, 2018.

1. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    503   0   0

According to D23's lineup of events:
    D23’s Lineup of Events for 2018 - D23

This November 16-18, D23 Members are invited to join the fun and excitement of Destination D: Celebrating Mickey Mouse, the ultimate birthday celebration honoring 90 years of the mouse that started it all! During this two-day event at Disney’s Contemporary Resort Convention Center, Disney fans will discover fascinating details about Mickey’s imaginative past, adventurous present, and boundless future as Disney historians, cast members, and artists host exciting panels, presentations, and other fun-filled entertainment. From Mickey’s historic roles in animated films and television shows to merchandise, magic kingdoms, and beyond, get ready to explore the many wonderful worlds of Walt Disney’s most famous creation!

Stay tuned for additional event details!

**Expecting to have a WDI/MOG Pop-Up shop at this even too!**

2. MerlinEmrys

MerlinEmrys Hicitus Pinicus!

Rating - 100%
    428   0   0

Woot! We will be going to this. :D Looking forward to it!

starry_solo likes this.
  3. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    503   0   0

Be sure to write up a report about it!

It's weird that it's a 2-3 day event whereas last November (2017), it was just a movie and pop-up shop.

4. hopemax

hopemax DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    162   0   0

It's the typical schedule. It alternates between the D23 Expo in Anaheim and the Destination D event in WDW in non-Expo years. So 2012, 2014, 2016 also had multi-day events at the Contemporary in November. 2011, 2013, 2015, 2017 were Expo years.

5. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    503   0   0

Ah, so in 2022, when I plan to go to WDW in November, I should plan on it being a multi-day event? Okay, time to save more $$$

6. hopemax

Rating - 100%
    162   0   0

Well, it's Disney so there is always a chance that they'll just scrap D23 entirely like they did the Disneyana Convention. But, yes.

bookhugger likes this.
  7. splashmtnman

splashmtnman All Wet and Happy

0   0   0

Do you have to be a D23 gold member to attend this november? or is the general sign-up OK?

8. chubs191

chubs191 Beautiful Tomorrow Admirer

Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0

I'll be going as well!

MerlinEmrys likes this.
  9. bookhugger

bookhugger I love books!

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

I think it's better for a gold membership

starry_solo likes this.
  10. Ajk

Ajk New to DPF but not to trading

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0

In the web site that starry posted it says "Gold Member Event" so I am thinking it's gold members only, no?

My key questions are around the MOG pins:

1. Do they have releases at this event, or are they just bringing leftover stock? (I am guessing the former.)
    2. How nice and/or numerous do the pins tend to be at this event? Anyone know what was released in prior years?
    3. I've heard some horror stories about D23 and not being able to get any pins due to timing/selling out. Does that tend to be a challenge here as well?

In terms of non-pin stuff:

4. Are the presentations, etc at the same level as D23? Or do they tend to save the "good stuff" for that?
    5. How hard is it to get into the discussions, presentations, etc? Again, heard some horror stories about D23.

Basically, I will be at WDW in August for Animation Celebration and am debating whether to go back down again just for this, but want to make sure it is worth my time/$$.
    Any insight would be appreciated!!

11. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    93   0   0

I wasn't there myself, but the last D23 event they had the new character clusters at the MOG booth, so whoever went to that event got those even before CMs in Glendale.

12. Tds

Tds Member

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0

Was this the event 2 years ago that the WDI floral fans were sold at?
    How did the Orlando event work in terms of pins? Was it impossible to get WDI pins or did everyone have a chance to buy?

13. hopemax

Rating - 100%
    162   0   0

Yes.

In prior events, it didn't seem too hard to get pins. In 2014, my Dad was able to get in the store with only a short wait on Sat morning and the only pin he wasn't able to get that I wanted was the Orange Bird Sorcerer Hat. He then felt ill, so I met him at lunch and he gave me his badge, and I went in. A few more things had sold out (Frozen Princess Plaque), but there was no line, so I just walked to the rack and bought what I wanted for traders, including the Tangled and Lion King Sorcerer Hats. But in 2016, it seems like word had gotten out and things had changed. My friend waited 4 hours in line on Friday, and barely made the Fireworks at Hollywood Studios. Looking at the old thread, it looks like only 3 fans were available on Saturday and all were gone by Sunday.

I expect this year to be even more insane. They seem to have 2 groups of pins: a group of extremely popular stuff like Princesses, Sorcerer Hats, etc. and then a group of obscure park related stuff. The park stuff will probably stay available through most of the weekend. But if you want the popular pins, it will be a long line and you may have to sacrifice doing something to wait.

14. Tds

Tds Member

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0

Thank you! That is extremely helpful!!

I think you are right that this year will be even worse. It is being held in a ball room that can hold up to 4000 people. So it doesn't seem like there will be any limit to the number of people that can register. At a minimum, seems like it could be in the thousands.

15. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    503   0   0

The last few events at WDW (either the single shopping day or the Destination D events that have occurred in non-D23 Anaheim years) have had these releases:
    Clusters (first set)
    Heroines & Dogs
    Dancing Princesses
    Princess Gold Frames
    Dapper Dogs
    Princess Floral Fans
    Dragons
    Moana
    BATB Thanksgiving & Rose

And then, don't forget about the AP Frame Sets! Perhaps there will be the AP Frame Sets of the Heroines release in November?

So, I think it's worth it. There might be a special ticketed event for so many people wherein if you have that ticket, you would be able to get into the WDI/MOG store earlier than others.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  16. Tds

Tds Member

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0

Good info! I didn't see any info about a special ticketed event, but it does say there is "optional early check in".
    Perhaps that helps make it possible to get to the WDI store.
    I imagine the VIP ticket gets you better access to the MOG store, but no way I am paying $1300 a person!
    It says that D23 Gold members can register 1 guest. Anyone know if the guest (registered obviously) has access to WDI/MOG or does that require D23 Gold card?

starry_solo likes this.
  17. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    503   0   0

As I recall, the guest can also purchase the merchandise.

18. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    428   0   0

Do we know when tickets go on sale for this year? :)

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

19. DisneyJ

DisneyJ eBay Enabler

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

D23’s Destination D: Celebrating Mickey Mouse - D23

Just a friendly reminder that we have recently made some important changes to our ticketing process. Check out our updated FAQ for more details link here .

Gold and Gold Family Members: $215 per person (plus $7 processing fee)
    Tickets will go on sale on Thursday, April 12, at 11 a.m. PT. (2 p.m. ET).

Mouseketeer VIP Level: $1,300 per person (plus $7 processing fee)
    Tickets will go on sale on Thursday, April 12, at 10 a.m. PT. (1 p.m. ET).

20. Ajk

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0

I’m still unclear about the odds of getting MOG LE pins. Seems if they are LE 300, and there are a lot more than 300 attendees, most folks aren’t going to get any. So the VIPs get them and then a handful of others luck out. And even less chance of getting an AP set. Sound about right?

21. pins4twin

pins4twin Active Member

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

I have been told that a lot of the VIP’s don’t buy the pins. They buy the other collectibles, but not too many pins. That my change now that the price of pins has gone way up, and their might be more speculators.

22. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    428   0   0

Geeez that's expensive. XD Not to mention the tickets for the pin event should go live this month as well? Ooof....

Well, Russ and I will be going. We will be poor, but we will be going. XD

Haunted575 likes this.
  23. Ajk

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0

Well, I've been waffling on whether or not this will be worth it for me personally and I think I waffled to the point of being too late anyway since I am not a D23 member yet so it sounds like it would be too late for me to get in on this for this year regardless. Probably better anyway since when I add the price of travel onto it (although I could turn it into vacation to account for at least some of that), it becomes a hefty price for the chance of some pins.

HOWEVER, if there is anyone local who is looking for a sponsor on their ticket in exchange for picking up MOG pins, I'm your man!

24. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    428   0   0

Are tickets live yet?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

25. lynn99

lynn99 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    133   0   0

VIP sold out, gold member tickets on sale now.

starry_solo likes this.