• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Disney Pins Fine-Art Museum (any other art-geeks out there?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disney Pins Fine-Art Museum (any other art-geeks out there?)
@Unibear

I had never heard of that bus! Thanks for sharing. And yes! The two are very similar. I'm guessing the Mondrian came first though?

(Also, I'm actually thinking about crocheting a blanket of that painting. I think it would be really cool! *since I have no hope of trying to do a Starry Night pattern* *maybe I'll do that as a quilt one day* *maybe*)

@ TinyTink
Very interesting! Your mention of the stained glass window had me thinking about a topic earlier discussed in this tread but which we haven't talked about a lot: Art Nouveau. And in particular, this pin: Pin33043, Disney Auctions (P.I.N.S) Art Nouveau (Ariel)

pin30043th200

Now, this isn't the only Art Nouveau pin out there. There are maaaaaaany. And frankly, Art Nouveau pins would be what I would collect if they were not so darn expensive. But it's probably my favorite style of art, and as time progresses I'll probably stick more and more pieces up on this thread.

But anyways, this particular ariel reminded me of a Czech painter named Alphonse Mucha, and his work "Dance"

Alphonse_mucha+065.jpg

Do I think that they were directly inspired? No. There might actually be even better art Nouveau pieces that fit this ariel pin. But here's a side-by side comparison where the subjects in the pin and the art style are in similar poses. (I would imagine that not many of the Art Nouveau pins are directly related to specific works besides that Klimt that CCofRR13 mentioned. But please correct me if I'm wrong! That's one of the purposes of this thread. :) )

The Art Nouveau Style is SO beautiful, and - as you've highlighted perfectly, works so well with pin designs.

Happy Trading!

Purplemandms, this has become an addiction.... :rofl:

Here's another art-related twist....

Popular Photography - Kiss in Times Square on VJ Day
Kissing_the_War_Goodbye.jpg

And the Disney Take...you all know this had to be a Jessica Pin. PP85663
And, sharing a special thanks to Mellonballer, who posted this pin in the Pin Pic a Day Thread..
pin85663

All these pins are so rad! I never even knew about them. I thought you were just speaking about Disney art. I own a Kinkade AP myself, and my family collects Disney art!

Purplemandms, this has become an addiction.... :rofl:

Thanks to whoever started this thread....I've added about 20 pins to my wants....LOL

Glad I could help. ;D

All these pins are so rad! I never even knew about them. I thought you were just speaking about Disney art. I own a Kinkade AP myself, and my family collects Disney art!

That's so amazing! And yes, Disney art is pretty amazing. (Other art is too, but I guess it's just that Disney magic that makes their art so special!)

I don't think we've talked about their newest "art" :lol:

pin96273

Pin 96273

(Jk, jk, I just can't find anything right now. We've hit most of the major ones. I'm sure theres some more out there though. :suspect:)

Reading through this thread I noted one posted example of Thomas Gainsborough's Blue Boy, the Figment pin, but there were two others also made!

pin27857
pin68519

Also, fun fact (but sadly now an extinct relic of times passed), there was a painting of Donald Duck as the Blue Boy hanging in Minnie's house in Mickey's Toontown Fair in Orlando. It apparently won first prize.

4760524082_d4fa7d8a6e.jpg

Sorry, just can't seem to let this thread die...

Did we cover Van Gogh Self Portrait yet?
Van_Gogh-00528-Self-Portrait%20in%20front%20of%20the%20Easel,%20c,1888.jpg

And the Tokyo Disney Sea set with Goofy sitting in as Van Gogh PP9899
pin9899

Or Andrew Wyeth and 'Christina's World? Another from MoMA in NYC
CRI_165457.jpg

With Pluto's World PP27860
(careful, this is one of the Masterpieces with documented forgeries...)
pin27860

I can't seem to find any other classical pieces to contribute to this thread, (I'm sure Tiny Tink will find more. Cuz she's pretty awesome.) However, in my searching I found that there are actually a few pins/series that primarily feature Disney's concept art!

For example,

There is a Disney Villains concept art side-by-side pin series

PP 25085, 25086, 25087

pin25085th200
pin25086th200
pin25087th200

And JDM (Japan Disney Mall) even came out with an "Art of Disney" series!

Here's the AIW one (PP 49237) and a Lady one (PP 52632) because OH GOSH ITS ADORABLE

pin49237th200
pin52632th200

There are even some pins with concept art for rides!

PP 64652 WDI - Animal Kingdom Concept Art ( Dragon )
pin64652th200

PP 48039 WDI - TDS - Tower Of Terror - Concept Art

pin48039th200

Yes, Love the poster art pins!!!

And, I very sadly say.....Uncle, Uncle, Uncle - PurpleMandms, I'm now out of ideas....for now. Maybe others will find some hidden treasures and/or there will be some new releases.

In the meantime, this has been my favorite thread to read, learn from, enjoy and contribute to of all time. So, as my swan song for fellow Art Lovers.....An homage to the painting that started it all, Mona Lisa (Yes, some of these were covered this earlier, however, now we'll close the loop)

images

And a little overview of why this painting marked such a revolution in the art world...from that fountain of information - Wikipedia ;-)
The Mona Lisa (Monna Lisa or La Gioconda in Italian; La Joconde in French) is a half-length portrait of a woman by the Italianartist Leonardo da Vinci, which has been acclaimed as "the best known, the most visited, the most written about, the most sung about, the most parodied work of art in the world".[SUP][1][/SUP]
The ambiguity of the subject's expression, which is frequently described as enigmatic,[SUP][3][/SUP] the monumentality of the composition, the subtle modeling of forms and the atmospheric illusionism were novel qualities that have contributed to the continuing fascination and study of the work.[SUP][4][/SUP]

And the Disney Redeux

As highlighted by Abbysinian28
pin72998

And GwenWyvery
pin61523

And we can add - PP 25894 from the Masterpiece Collection (was this covered?)

pin25894

and some lesser known pins...

PP 31769 Stitch Painting his version
pin31769

And, of course Mickey painting his love Minnie
PP 41252

pin41252

Thanks Again !!!

^ well, that reminds me - there certainly are plenty of pins featuring characters *creating* art. :)

Since my area of expertise is Wonderland, I'll share a few here - but most of these come from series with other characters also making art!

Shall we begin by painting some Easter eggs?

pin29551

Pin 29551: Disney Auctions - Cheshire Cat Easter Egg

pin29553

Pin 29553: Disney Auctions - White Rabbit Easter Egg

Too frivolous? Okay, let's make some "real" art! First we need the paint:

pin61547

Pin 61547: DisneyShopping.com - Cheshire Cat Painting Series Pin

Ah, but perhaps a true artist prefers sculpting?

pin67816

Pin 67816: DisneyShopping.com - 4-Pc. World of Disney Art Box Mystery Pin Set (Cheshire Cat only)

No no argues the Hatter! It is only on canvas that true art is created!

pin75215

Pin 75215: DisneyStore.com - Art Studio Series - Mad Hatter and Dormouse (Error)

But for the Queen of Hearts the only thing that will do will be to paint the roses red!

pin96473

Pin 96473: WDW - 13 Reflections of Evil - Sidekicks Boxed Set - Queen of Hearts with Card Guards ONLY

And even the dwarves like to join in on that fun!

pin98394

Pin 98394: WDI - Seven Dwarfs New Fantasyland Construction Fence - Happy and Grumpy Painting the Roses Red

I love this thread! Is the Mona Lisa the most used painting in Disney pins?

The Wonderland Artists are fun!

YEA!!! The thread lives on with wonderful new interpretations....LOVE all the art-related posts You've made one lady very happy!

Look forward to the next posting! :wavey:

Hey, this thread also has the purpose of if you think of any pins that would make great art pieces! (Like the Faberge egg mentioned wayyy early on!)

If it's art, it's welcome here!

tumblr_inline_mwdplgdiCp1s4sasa.gif

I realized this thread was missing one of the Norman Rockwell inspired designs.

9360926-400x529.jpg

and the pin

pin1178

The 4 designs (Barbershop Quartet, Self Portrait, Puppy Love and Family Dinner) were also reinterpreted as Disney Cross-Stitch Kits. Three of the 4 are the same image as the pins, but the Family Dinner used a different image from the Lilo & Stitch version.

2Q==

I can't seem to find any other classical pieces to contribute to this thread, (I'm sure Tiny Tink will find more. Cuz she's pretty awesome.) However, in my searching I found that there are actually a few pins/series that primarily feature Disney's concept art!

The Walt Disney Family Museum here in San Francisco had an exhibit about Mary Blair in 2014 and sold some pins of her art and concept art that are really lovely. I came away with the Alice in Wonderland pin in the series. There are also 2 pieces of Peter Pan concept art like my Alice pin, 1 piece of It's A Small World concept art, and a number of pieces of art from her other projects. Finally, there's a pin that's just a framed portrait of the artist herself. :)

11167.jpg

My photo of the Alice pin in the series.

Other pins in the set (found from eBay and web searches since I unfortunately don't own them all myself);
GziUJsw.jpg
thrjC6v.jpg
PNKqMJu.jpg
rjyeoY6.jpg

UIQO3TX.png
qRJBnMC.png
Put5muJ.png

K3r0eq5.png

This thread is great! Ever since stumbling onto some of the nouveau pins (The nouveau Blue Fairy is my favorite of the lot <3) I've been curious about how many others are out there!

Thanks so much for the info and pictures!

The Walt Disney Family Museum here in San Francisco had an exhibit about Mary Blair in 2014 and sold some pins of her art and concept art that are really lovely. I came away with the Alice in Wonderland pin in the series. There are also 2 pieces of Peter Pan concept art like my Alice pin, 1 piece of It's A Small World concept art, and a number of pieces of art from her other projects. Finally, there's a pin that's just a framed portrait of the artist herself. :)

11167.jpg

My photo of the Alice pin in the series.

Other pins in the set (found from eBay and web searches since I unfortunately don't own them all myself);
GziUJsw.jpg
thrjC6v.jpg
PNKqMJu.jpg
rjyeoY6.jpg

UIQO3TX.png
qRJBnMC.png
Put5muJ.png

K3r0eq5.png

Those Mary Blair pins are really cool. Don't think I've seen most of them before, so thanks for posting!

I've seen some of the pins from the museum and they are really nice! I'm glad SF people have something that only they have access to. Hope to visit that museum someday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back