• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Disney Store Limited Edition Dolls - 12" and Designer - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disney Store Limited Edition Dolls - 12" and Designer - 2017
Which dolls have been SURPRISE releases at the D23 Expo? In 2015 the surprise was Once Upon a Time and Jasmine Red Dress.... or did we know about both of these dolls in advance at all???

Are we expecting any surprise releases this year?

We knew about OUAT because someone stole the prototypes and listed them on eBay before the expo.
Same thing with the D23 Elsa/Hans exclusive.

Trying to remember whether we knew about the Red Jasmine in advance.

I believe we did know about Jasmine beforehand, but more because we were clever than because it was announced. When the general release version of her doll went on pre order in June, some people noticed the receipt specified "teal" Jasmine, which prompted speculation about a variant version of her also being in the system. I don't recall how we came to the conclusion that it was going to be the slave version though - if someone leaked a little info? Or we just guessed right? My memory on that part is fuzzy.

What about stuff like the Princess Leia doll? Or the Toy Story LEs? Were they surprises, or was so much attention on the traditional princesses that they just flew under my radar?

I believe we did know about Jasmine beforehand, but more because we were clever than because it was announced. When the general release version of her doll went on pre order in June, some people noticed the receipt specified "teal" Jasmine, which prompted speculation about a variant version of her also being in the system. I don't recall how we came to the conclusion that it was going to be the slave version though - if someone leaked a little info? Or we just guessed right? My memory on that part is fuzzy.

What about stuff like the Princess Leia doll? Or the Toy Story LEs? Were they surprises, or was so much attention on the traditional princesses that they just flew under my radar?

I think Princess Leia and the toy story were complete surprises.

Okay, found this on IG. Had to snapshot it from phone, but here it is:

19959194_662297463964796_401562230943926_n.jpg

From Diana Vincent on FB (she is also here on DPF):

Another Minnie:

19959071_10155438781475987_261194163173958997_n.jpg

I recall that the one that the sorcerers could RSP for had a floor length red gown, so I'm not sure anymore. Maybe they are releasing a second one?

Yes, I found the picture for it (from the RSP):

18519600_890129981127179_5286102952106602342_n.jpg

So, now I wonder which one is actually being released!

Hmm, maybe the first one is for the Polka Dot day so is just a preview?

Last edited:
I can't keep up!!! Some pretty good dolls we have here. I'm not sure if I like them without rooted lashes.

Blue Fairy is an amazing set, I like this one the best!! Cruella looks great, this set is also very cool. Lots of details. King Triton's face looks rather different but the set looks good. Incredibles is a cool set as is the Mulan set, nice work on them. Robin Hood and Maid Marian I guess I was expecting an actual neck so this is a different looking type of doll but also looks really nice and something different finally. The rest are nice. Seems Cruella and Blue Fairy are the only rooted eyelashes.

Pictures from Sorcerer_Mickey on Instagram:

19984599_1303303296433912_8746979667451314176_n.jpg

19932109_1418307651582848_5526901694748688384_n.jpg

19985912_325503844568171_3724006597211455488_n.jpg

This is the first 12inch series I've liked every single one of the dolls. Good job Disney. Help a collector out with bad eyesight; can someone read the individual release dates And type them up.And post them cause my squinting self can't read them.

Am I the only one who's disappointed with these?

First, the good. I think the Mulan and Pinocchio sets are just beautiful. To me they're the only really good/magical sets out of this whole lot. Also, bigger display boxes is a huge plus, I'm glad they did this because 1) now everything doesn't look so squished and 2) they can take advantage of the extra space to display more little accessories (my favorite thing about the Pinocchio set!) and have nicer, visible backgrounds. And now, to the bad...

Ariel and Triton: This has honestly got to be the worst Ariel doll I've ever seen. I don't think she looks anything like the character, the expression and pose is very awkward, and her outfit is so tacky and almost dirty looking. She's also extremely disproportionate because they used Alice's body for her for some reason, and that only makes it worse. I don't like that the artwork features Flounder and Sebastian with her and they're not in the set...that's the only set that has characters in the art that aren't in the set itself. It also doesn't have the Prince Eric statue in it, which was something a lot of people were hoping to see. With the bigger display boxes it would have made perfect sense to have the statue in there, but nope. Triton looks fine I guess, but I think Ariel's tacky look and awkward face and pose ruin the whole set for me. Like, he's nice, but I'm not gonna buy the whole set just for him.

Moana: This is LITERALLY just a smaller version of the first limited edition doll with some plastic figurines thrown around it. I don't know why they're still trying to push Moana on us, her first limited edition dolls sold terribly and are still widely available, and her normal merch isn't even that big of a seller. There's really nothing else to say about this one.

Cruella: I like the idea of this set, I really do. I think the figurines of the Dalmatians are adorable and really accurate to how they look in the movie, but Cruella herself just looks awful. Come on guys...look at that face. It just looks so off. And why is her skin so white that it's the same color as the fur on her jacket? I've seen people on Instagram compare her face to Micheal Jackson and honesty I can kind of see it. Not only her face, but the arms are way too big and don't look right. Basically the main problem with this is that Cruella is very stylized and her design really doesn't translate that well into a doll. I get that they can't make her as skinny as she should be because it would just be impractical, but yeah. Not good.

Rapunzel and Flynn: It's a cute set, it's fine. Not something I would pay $130 dollars for, because they look very simple and I'm not impressed with Rapunzel's dress, but still cute. I'm glad they actually included the chair, and Flynn tied up in it makes for a good little scene. I'd say this one is easily better than Little Mermaid, Moana and 101 Dalmatians, but nowhere near as good as Pinocchio or Mulan.

Robin Hood and Maid Marian: Kind of feel the same way as I do with the Tangled set...it's fine. Nothing really bad about it but nothing spectacular either. I'm also still upset that this was the "uncommon" couple that got picked when I and many others have been wanting couples like Hercules and Megara, Esmeralda and Phoebus and Tarzan and Jane.

Mr. Incredible and Elastigirl look weird as dolls to me, and their outfits are very simple and not "designer" at all...but yeah. Good for Incredibles collectors I guess?

So while I am disappointed with this line overall, the Pinocchio and Mulan sets are stunning and I really do love them. It's a shame they're D23 exclusive (and more limited in Mulan's case) because it means that I and many others who weren't able to go to D23 will not be able to get them...for their normal price, anyway. I do hope that we get the merchandise to go along with these because regardless of how I feel about the dolls, that artwork is gorgeous. I saw someone mention they saw mugs in those pictures up top but I don't see any?

EDIT: It's been pointed out to me that Blue Fairy has the heroes vs villains Cinderella head. That's kind of distracting.

Last edited:
I agree 're Mulan and Blue Fairy dolls.

I like the Increibles dolls too.

Rapunzel's face looks like the singing doll face, not designer at all.

The only sets I think are done well are the Mulan/Shang set and the Pinocchio set. I already have the couples version of Mulan and Shang and have no interest in Pinnochio, so I'll be skipping them too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back