• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Disneyauctions.com Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disneyauctions.com Question...

hayleygurl9693

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hi everyone,

So I'm still getting the hang of online pin trading and i've seen a lot of pins that peoples have gotten on disney auctions. Now, when i type this into my web browser it just takes me to the disney store...Is this correct or am I doing something wrong?

From what I understand, Disney Auctions came before Disney Store. Disney would distribute the pins through an auction site instead of releasing them on their own site. Disney Auctions is no longer around, it is now just the Store which is why it just takes you directly there.

So I'm still getting the hang of online pin trading and i've seen a lot of pins that peoples have gotten on disney auctions. Now, when i type this into my web browser it just takes me to the disney store...Is this correct or am I doing something wrong?

You are not doing anything wrong. Nikki is absolutely correct; Disney Auctions existed before DisneyStore, as a collaboration between Disney and eBay. There were two different versions of Disney Auctions - the Disney Auctions and the Disney Auctions P.I.N.S.

The Disney Auctions, which were exclusively LE 100 and, on rare occasion, Prototypes/APs, were run in dutch auction format. But unlike DisneyStore, which sells their LE 100 pins just as 6 pin sets, the LE 100 pins were auctioned off a bit differently. 75 sets of 6 were auctioned off as a set (starting bid $108) with the remaining 25 of each set auctioned off as individual pins (starting bid $18 each). Occasionally Disney Auctions would come out with an individual jumbo pin for auction (starting bid of $18).

The Disney Auctions P.I.N.S. (Purchase It Now Store) is closer to the DisneyStore in that it sold fixed price pins on the internet. LE 1000 pins were $10.00, LE 500 pins were $12.00, LE 250 pins were $14.00; as there were no limits on purchases per person, pins could sell out in less than two minutes (and depending upon the character, frequently did). New pins were released every Monday at 9.00 am PST/12.00 pm EST and every Thursday 3.00 pm PST/6.00 pm EST.

Disney Auctions eventually was closed in 'favor' of DisneyShopping for reasons unknown. Nobody is sure if Disney cancelled on eBay because they didn't want to pay eBay's listing and selling fees, eBay cancelled on Disney because they got tired of Disney cancelling sold auctions because pins 'went missing', were 'misplaced' and later 'found' and relisted, or a combination of the both, or there were reasons in play that nobody knows and can't even begin to speculate about.

Two small additions/caveats to the great information provided by DanceCats (thanks DanceCats!):

DisneyStore.com (which was DisneyShopping.com) was online back then (2004 time frame), they just didn't carry pins online. It was purely catalog/store items because it was run by Children's Place. Disney took it back over in 2008. ;)

During the time of DisneyAuctions.com Disney also tried out both OfficialDisneyPinTrading.com and DisneyPins.com, which sold higher edition pins (LE 1000) for example:

...but the really good ones, the rare LE 100s, were auctioned on eBay through Disney Auctions.

The relationship was said to be severed when the market took off (Disney realized how very hooked we all are on pins! :)) and Disney saw they could fly it alone without giving a profit margin to eBay...eBay takes quite a chunk out: http://www.rolbe.com/ebay.htm.

[/dusting hands] Those are just my little 'I was there,' factoids. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back