Disneyland Paris - my first time

Discussion in 'Disney Chat' started by cyke23, Aug 20, 2018.

1. cyke23

cyke23 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    48   0   0

I’ll be going to Disneyland Paris very soon. I have been studying the maps. I’m staying at Hotel Santa Fe 3 nights. Aside from the actual attractions, are there any experiences I shouldn’t miss? I assume everyone walks to the parks. It looks like it’s still 25th anniversary season. Also Marvel summer of heroes. Lastly, where are all the pins?

Ok, not lastly, DLP is the first of a few destinations in Europe. Any airlines have issues if I keep my pin lanyard with me in my backpack? Or should I pack it and hope it doesn’t get taken? Or should I not bring it at all (it will cost a lot to replace the pins)?

2. arielsdinglehopper

arielsdinglehopper Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Whenabouts are you going? The 25th celebrations end at the start of September and Marvel ends at the end of September. Experiences wise I would recommend a character meal or one of the fancier dining options if you're not into characters; my top recommendations would be Inventions, Walt's or Bistrot Chez Remy. Also make sure you explore the castle as it's so unique; there's an upstairs and a downstairs area which I won't spoil but are extremely worth seeing. If you're there for the Marvel/25th seasons, be sure to check out the shows for those events - though my top show recommendation is Mickey & The Magician in the Studios park. Also be sure to catch Stars On Parade in Disneyland Park as it's spectacular. Illuminations (nighttime castle show) is average, but if you have time it's worth checking out just to say you've seen it. Attractions-wise, I recommend definitely doing our Big Thunder Mountain (best in the world), Hyperspace Mountain and Ratatouille and Crush's Coaster in the studios. And pins can be found in most of the shops but for the best selection, I'd recommend World Of Disney in Disney Village and Harrington's and Emporium on Main Street. If you're there on a weekend, there's also a little pin shop in Frontierland where you can find a great selection, as well as a trading board. I hope you have a great trip and if you have any more questions, I'm happy to help!

krand1276 and timeerkat like this.
  3. Jack Skellington

Jack Skellington Active Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Everything Arielsdinglehopper mentioned.....but for dining my favourite is Captain Jacks, very closely followed by Chez Remy's . There's also a Dinner show Buffalo Bill's which is worth a consideration!

Above all have fun

arielsdinglehopper likes this.
  4. cyke23

cyke23 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    48   0   0

We have reservations for Captain Jack’s, Cendrillon, Silver Spur, and Chez Remy. I’ll be there this weekend, so it really is very soon.

arielsdinglehopper likes this.
  5. arielsdinglehopper

arielsdinglehopper Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Auberge de Cendrillon is also fantastic! Have the best time, and make sure you tell us all about it!

6. cyke23

cyke23 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    48   0   0

I am now home from being in Europe for 2 weeks, and it was the most amazing trip. DLP was just incredible. From the initial wonder of entering the park with The Disneyland Hotel’s facade to experiencing the same name yet somewhat different rides (Space Mountain, BTMR, IASW), and at Walt Disney Studios, I went on Remy’s ride 3 times and the Crush coaster is a neat ride.....it’s a wonderful experience every Disney fan should do. All those restaurants I mentioned in an earlier were amazing. I was lucky to also be there for the tail end of the 25th anniversary, Marvel summer of heroes and their food and wine festival. It was fun to compare DLR/WDW/DLP, seek out the unique rides/experiences, and explore!

I bought probably about 30 pins. I wanted anything that said Paris on it. No limited pins were available but OE pins were practically in every store. The Pueblo Trading post.....why did I not bring a handful of LE traders? They had some great LEs on the large trading board but I had to trade LE for LE, so I couldn’t trade for LE, but they did have a bunch of other OE and their version of cast lanyard pins on the board. The traders outside had neat pins for trade....again, why didn’t I remember to bring LE traders? CMs had the usual lot of fake/scrapper pins but every now and then I found a legit pin, I ended up with about 10 good CM trades. I brought non-HM OE pins and CMs were excited to trade.

Staying on property is nice. Got to do magic 1.5 hour everyday. I didn’t realize how many hotels they have. Super easy to jump on the bus. We were going to try to do the 20 minute walk, but was like, the bus is literally outside the front door.

Disney Village is fun and lively. World of Disney...check. The Disney Store...check. I was like, they have both?!?!

My biggest disappointment was that Phantom Manor was closed for refurb, but I knew that a long time ago. Oh well, I guess that means I need to go back!

7. krand1276

krand1276 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0

Ooh, this is good to know. Thank you for the information!

So, you were asking about taking the pins on the planes. How did that go? Did you carry them on or did you check them in your luggage.

It’s good to know about the scrappers. I guess I was just deluding myself and thinking they wouldn’t have scrappers.

Was the Pueblo Trading post the only trading board that you came across there? Were there others?

And here’s the snotty American question: how much French did you have to speak? I’m learning some basic phrases, but I’m horrible at languages and pretty sure I won’t be able to communicate very well. Will Google translate be my best friend or do you think a little French will carry me through?

8. cyke23

cyke23 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    48   0   0

I ended up packing all my pins in checked baggage because I didn’t want the potential of them being taken away if I put in carry-ons. No issues there.

Pueblo was the only board I came across, but it a very large board...maybe 100 pins.

I know enough French for super simple sentences and touristy phrases and words. It was great to speak it and get smiles for trying, but it wasn’t needed at all at DLP. Every cast member I spoke with knew English and was friendly. I think everything written was translated too...menus, directions, etc.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  9. Spr175psu

Spr175psu Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0

Sounds like an amazing trip and we can’t wait to go in April, especially since they’re keeping stars on parade and illuminations through next September. That’s good to know about the LE for LE board. I’ll have to remember to bring some good ones for trading.

FoolishMortal71 and krand1276 like this.