Going to Disneyland August 16th to 26th

Discussion in 'Disney Chat' started by chubs191, Sep 3, 2018.

1. chubs191

chubs191 Beautiful Tomorrow Admirer

Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0

Hello Californians!

For the first time in over a decade, I will be coming to you! My sister and I wanted to go to D23 Expo next year, but a stipulation had to be met in order for us to go... and, as some of you know, it was! I will be heading to Cali from the 21st to the 28th and I'll be staying in the cheapest of the three DLR resorts (and the closest to the convention center) and I need your suggestions on what to do. I have my ticket situation sorted out, I just need to know where to eat, your can't miss thing to do, ect.

As for food, I love Boma and Tiffins at WDW, but I don't know what restaurants provide that kind of flavor palate. I know I have to eat at Blue Bayou, because it's a must, but what other places do you Cali foodies recommend. I like high tea and doing unique experiences. I plan on doing the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour, because I'm a glutton for crying.

I also plan on bringing one binder or book of traders with me: should they just be my best pins, or should I diversify and bring others. I know I'm going to get new pins from D23, but I also know that people trade grails in the parks, unlike WDW.

Anyway, any advice is gladly needed, because I didn't plan my last trip to Disneyland, my parents did, and I acted like a snotty 11 year old the whole time and didn't appreciate it until after the trip was over. I'm the major planner for this trip and I have no idea what I should or can do in California!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    Purplemandms, starry_solo and bcol like this.
  2. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    120   0   0

How exciting! You’ll def have to remind us when the date gets closer. One of my favorite foods at Disneyland is the California lobster roll at Harbor Galley. It’s quick service but there are seats around and it’s so good!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chubs191 likes this.
  3. chubs191

Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0

I'll have to put that on my sis' list, she loves lobster rolls! Thanks, Erin!

I also have a long way to go to be 100% for the trip after my accident last March, so I may be chronicling my journey as far as that goes leading up to the trip. The goal is to be able to do the parks for 5 days straight without needing a wheelchair. Right now, I can('t) barely do one.

Purplemandms likes this.
  4. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

As far as I know, there are no restaurants comparable in flavor palate to Boma or Tiffins in DLR. As far as Blue Bayou goes, I agree that it's a 'must do' as far as atmosphere and ambiance goes (be sure to ask for a table near the water). When it comes to quality, I've found it to be 'hit or miss'; sometimes it's been absolutely amazing, other times, it's just been mediocre. It doesn't have the atmosphere and it's a lot more casual, but I think Cafe Orleans is much more consistent for food quality (and it has two versions of that amazing Monte Cristo sandwich!) And of course (pricier but worth it) you can't go wrong with either Cathay Circle or Napa Rose.

Since you're going into LA, I most definitely would recommend Tam O'Shanter, especially since you're planning on doing the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour. The Tam was one of Walt's favorite restaurants and, while pricy, is just amazing. Another LA restaurant I would recommend (when you're going to DSF) is Musso & Frank or stopping by and having lunch in the Roosevelt Hotel (the inspiration for the Hollywood Tower Hotel) - all of the restaurants, even their coffee shop - are amazing.

chubs191 and krand1276 like this.
  5. dancecats

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

That's an awesome goal and you have plenty of time! Just take it one day at a time and you'll get there. In the meantime, maybe try setting goals for yourself: where do you want to be in one month? Three months? Six months? One year? And keep us updated so we can support you as you reach those goals - you know we're here for you!

6. krand1276

krand1276 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0

We’ve eaten at almost all of the restaurants and most of the snackish type stands. Just a few left to go, but here are some thoughts on some of the places:

I absolutely agree with @dancecats in regards to the food being hit or miss at the Blue Bayou. I’ve never been seated further than half way into the restaurant, so no nice view of the ride going by. The food has never been that impressive, so I’m about ready to stop trying to get a good table there. I also agree that the Cafe Orleans has been nice each time I’ve gone. The bread pudding and the coconut cake both were amazing desserts. I did have a friend say they had the worst service there and they were very disappointed. I’m fortunate to not ever have had that experience.

Carthay Circle is a winner! The food and service have always been amazing. It costs more, but is so worth it. If you get a late table, they may seat you out on the terrace. If you time it right, you’d be able to watch the fireworks and the view is amazing. They even pipe in the music that goes along with it. One thing though, if you go late, they may run out of a couple of things on the menu. We were seated on the balcony around Halloween time and the experience was magical. I scheduled for that late time again in December with their holiday menu and was excited about the prime rib special. My husband requested a balcony table instead of just letting it happen (which is why I think we didn’t get one). We were seated in the main dining room (sadly) and found out the prime rib had sold out about a half hour before (drat). No special and no special show. It was disappointing, so we skipped to dessert (which was amazing) and called it a night (we still tipped the waiter as though we’d had a full dinner. He was very kind, checking with the kitchen for alternatives, being very helpful and gracious when we said we’d just do dessert. It wasn’t his fault they were out). So, it is a wonderful place to eat, but it can be spectacular if you luck out with the fireworks table.

Absolutely skip the Wine Country Trattoria. Worst experience ever. 45 minute wait after our reservation time. Server sassed and snapped at me after I thought the wrong dish was brought (my husband has a red shellfish allergy). I was so shaken, I had to talk to a manager who comped our meal, but I was too upset at that point to eat anything. Another of my friends also said they’d had a horrible meal there, but hers was more about the food itself.

I was surprised that I enjoyed the Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta (if it’s still there). They had a great cheese ravioli with pesto sauce and pine nuts. I’ve had that 3-4 times.

We always have one character breakfast at the Plaza Inn. Lots of fun with the characters. My husband also loves their fried chicken dinner. He’s chiming in that he likes “the French bistro restaurant by the Haunted Mansion where you can ask for extra cornbread”. Lol. It’s a quick service (French Market Restaurant). It’s okay. He also says the Rancho Del Zocalo restaurant for breakfast. Very yummy pancakes there! We also like the River Belle Terrace for lunch or dinner. It’s nice to sit outside and watch the people. The Carnation Cafe is also nice to watch the people and sometimes the parades go by.

Photos added:
    Bread pudding @ Cafe Orleans
    Coconut cake @ Cafe Orleans
    Fireworks from Carthay Circle
    Fried chicken dinner @ Plaza Inn
    Beef stew (?) @ French Market
    Partial view from River Belle Terrace.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  7. chubs191

Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0

Okay, with everyone's suggestions I have created a tentative list of things to go eat, granted they will be there still a year from now. I have a question: looking at Disneyland's menus on their website and reviews, I'm getting a lot of conflicting information. Is there stuff in person that's not on the website?

8. krand1276

krand1276 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0

Some things on the menus change from season to season. And I can't remember if they put the Halloween items on there. What kinds of things were you looking at?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

9. pincrazy

pincrazy Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

Just for experience sake don't forget to try the Lamplight in DCA, more of a bar, with a limited menu but the donuts are great. $10 but nice and warm, nice treat, can only get them dining downstairs. There's inside and outside.seating. For souvenirs the coasters are cool, a pixar character pencil sketched by artist.

I'm not familiar with WDW's choices, but hopefully you'll find places to enjoy. By August I'm sure DLR will be crazy with all the restaurants in DTD, the crowds for Star Wars, and D23.

Storytellers at Grand is good for the dinner buffet selection, not as big as Goofy's Kitchen, but quieter.

Since you're staying on property you should be able to get reservations last minute, they try to accommodate guests even when they're booked/full., you can go through guest services during your stay to see if they can get you in.
    Sounds like it'll be a FUN trip!

krand1276 likes this.
  10. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    78   0   0

We like to eat at the Pacific Wharf Cafe in DCA. It is by the Sourdough Bread Bakery.
    We also like to get a loaf of bread and take it back to our room and eat it. :)
    It's not fancy, but it is really tasty.

11. chubs191

Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0

food.png

Here's the tentative food places. We plan on going Wednesday, the full day and then the evenings after the convention and maybe one more day. When we finally have a tentative schedule, I MIGHT calm down. Who am I kidding, I'm not going to be calm for another year.

12. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    120   0   0

I need to take notes. Despite having been to the parks quite a bit, I haven’t tried too many of the foods (besides the easy quick service stuff).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. pretty Omi

pretty Omi Resident Smol Wolf

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0

Just bear in mind some menus may change by then! Certain restaurants change their menu seasonally, and then other restaurants may switch up their regularly offered entrees each new year at any time. There are some things which won't be on the menu that you can find in person (Like the breadbowl place in DCA you can ask for mac and cheese instead of soup, but that's not on the menu)

14. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    262   0   0

Yahoo, I'm excited for you! :D Can't add much beyond what has already been said, but I agree in reevaluating your list next year closer to the date. A lot of the menu items could change between now and then between seasonal offerings and just changing up the menu in general.

Just wanted to note, after looking over your list - unless they've added it back in recently, Hungry Bear no longer has the fried green tomato sandwich. It was my favorite thing to eat there and one of my favorite things in the whole park, but they remodeled a few years back and took it off the menu. I heard it moved to another restaurant but that must have just been a limited time because I can't find it ANYWHERE. :p

15. chubs191

Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0

I had some outpatient surgery to make my recovery easier today, so hopefully I can start strengthening my back again. I didn't have the greatest time at the WDAC event this year, because bending over pins (even in a chair) for extended periods was incredibly painful. So, I'm hoping it's easier to move after this.

16. slbrabham

slbrabham Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0

Hope all goes well and you feel better soon.

chubs191 likes this.
  17. dancecats

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

I hope everything goes well for you and you're on your way to feeling better. Once you're cleared for it, have you considered adding Pilates as part of your recovery procedure? My mum had four back surgeries (of varying degrees); she's been doing Pilates as part of her recovery and it has helped her immeasurably.

18. chubs191

Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0

Holiday update: my dates have changed, so I get two weekends and take less days off work. I'm at a crossroads where I could be doing any one of ten things this time next year. I've been doing physical activities finally, but the pain still persists from time to time.