GUESS WHO'S SEEING HUNCHBACK THE MUSICAL?!?

Discussion in 'Disney Chat' started by NutMeg, Jun 3, 2018.

1. NutMeg

NutMeg I tie my own sandals.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Here's a hint:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's right, folks!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When my favorite Seattle venue, The 5th Avenue Theatre, announced they were mounting a production of The Hunchback of Notre Dame, I obviously freaked the F out. But money is tight and going to the theatre is so flippin' expensive nowadays, so I wasn't sure I could actually afford to go see the stage adaptation of my favorite Disney movie. :( Luckily I'm on the theatre's mailing list, and I got an e-mail today with a special promo code for 25% off tickets! I pounced and managed to snag some awesome seats for June 22nd, right near the front of the mezzanine! (It's def one of those venues where the best view is from the balcony. The orchestra level floor doesn't have a very steep incline, so unless you're able to score seats super close to the stage or are especially tall, you'll end up having to crane your neck to see over the heads in front of you. Just a little tip in case any of you ever come to town and decide to take in a show! At the very least, be sure to go inside and take a tour. It's an incredibly gorgeous Seattle landmark, modeled after the Forbidden City palace in China!)

Anyway, I'm obviously just a liiiiittle excited and had to share! :p My non-Disney pin collecting friends (aka my non-cool friends, obvs) would never appreciate what this means to me, unlike you guys. <3

I already know it's going to be an AMAZING production. First of all, this theatre has a pretty decent track record when it comes to Disney adaptations - it's actually where the Aladdin musical was originally staged before moving to Broadway and making James Monroe Iglehart a star! (We had him first - YOU'RE WELCOME!) In fact, several big shows have been created at The 5th and later transferred to Broadway, including Hairspray. Secondly, they actually cast a deaf actor to play Quasimodo! I'm seeing the show with my brother, who happens to know ASL, so that will hopefully come in handy (get it?) at the stage door afterward. (I always try to get my playbills signed!) Finally, I've already listened to the cast album about 100 times on Spotify and watched a video of the original San Diego production twice (I mean, what? Who said that? I def don't watch Broadway bootlegs.) The score is absolutely GORGEOUS! I don't love everything they did with the story, especially the switch back to the novel's original ending, where Esmeralda dies and Quasi kills Frollo in revenge. And I swear that's not just because I love Esme so much (although yeah, that too.) It just really clashes with the Disney elements they kept, like the themes of social justice/equality (the novel is actually pretty racist) and the whole true beauty/"monster vs man" thing (by murdering Frollo, Quasi just stoops to his level, and ends up becoming exactly what they called him all along - a monster.) It also kind of reduces Esmeralda to the disposable "woman in a refrigerator" trope she was in the book (although to be fair, she does still retain the strength and sass from the film.) Tbh, I don't think the novel - while definitely historically important - is as deep and profound as people give it credit for, and I often wonder how many of the folks who bash the Disney version for not being as dark as the book have actually read it. (Plus, the movie is still pretty freakin' dark, especially for Disney! And darkness doesn't automatically = deepness, people!)

Anyway, look at me reviewing the show before I've even seen it live! xD I kinda got a little carried away with my passion for Hunchback the movie, lol - I'm probably making it sound as if I don't like the musical, but I'm actually still a really big fan, and I honestly just love that Disney even chose to adapt it in the first place! Plus, again, the score is incredible ("Esmeralda" is my jam!) If you haven't already, you should definitely give it a listen.

I seriously cannot physically wait 3 whole weeks. I'm at Jessie Spano on caffeine pills levels of excitement, y'all. Walt give me strength! >.<

[​IMG]
    (Yep, I'm a big grown-up now and have a planner. That's right, a freakin' PLANNER, guys. Sooo yeah, I've basically got this whole adulting thing nailed.)

Has anyone else seen the show and/or listened to the album??? I'd love to chat more about it with someone! Where my musical theatre nerds at?! :D (PS: If any of you can score me cheap tix to the Les Mis tour, hit yo girl up. xD )

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  2. MerlinEmrys

MerlinEmrys Hicitus Pinicus!

Rating - 100%
    419   0   0

Heheh, I saw this on your IG :3 super pumped for you!!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

NutMeg likes this.
  3. Shelterkat

Shelterkat A Very Merry Unbirthday!

Rating - 100%
    311   0   0

I'm so happy for you! I went to that theater once to see Mame. It's a lovely theater.
    As for Hunchback, Connies_hobby saw it here at the La Mirada last year. She said it was wonderful! She still talks about it!

NutMeg likes this.
  4. AshleyV

AshleyV Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0

Yessssssss. So excited for you!! I'd love to read your review after you see it (I mean like I'm not trying to be pushy, just would be interested in more of your thoughts). :D

I'm trying to get tickets to see Hunchback in the Bay Area this summer, and already booked tickets for Les Mis when it comes to SF in August! (I was super lucky to play Fantine in high school and was high-key obsessed with that show for years afterwards. Definitely didn't watch/listen to bootlegs, but if I did, I would tell you I watched the show in French, German, Hebrew, and Japanese... like I said, obsessed. XD)

As the ultimate authority on Hunchback here, would you recommend listening to the soundtrack before seeing the show? Trying to decide if I want to go into it fresh or having memorized the whole thing first.

NutMeg and MerlinEmrys like this.
  5. broadwaybookworm

broadwaybookworm New Member

0   0   0

Congrats! I love Broadway shows and Disney musicals in particular, but I didn't get a chance to see Hunchback when it was at Papermill Playhouse. :( I've seen the actor playing Quasimodo on Broadway and he was fantastic, so I'm sure it will be great!

NutMeg and MerlinEmrys like this.
  6. Ksnuggles

Ksnuggles Resident Cake Baker Staff Member DPF Moderator DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0

This is soooooo exciting. I love scoring discounted tickets to the theatre. My husband and I got tickets to Aladdin at the Pantages from his mom for christmas last year. It was spectacular. I use to run a theatre for 9 years and have stage managed many musicals. I miss the theatre and try to go as often as I can, and not just professional theatre, but also school, kids and amateur. My husband hates that I listen to a lot of musicals in my car when he drives with me.

Let me know what you think of this show.

NutMeg likes this.
  7. NutMeg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Did you hear that there might be a Hercules musical??? (Disney has denied it, but Alan Menken himself said he's working on it!) I'm already dream casting it in my head lol. I don't think a live-action film adaptation would work tbh, but a stage version could be AMAZING. (Also there will be another Hercules level in Kingdom Hearts 3, which I figured you would appreciate. ;))

8. TheRetroNerd

TheRetroNerd Active Member

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0

wait so Terry crews , Reese witherspoon and Emma stone are going to watch a play together ? :p

Congratulations !!

watzshakinbacon, Ajk and NutMeg like this.
  9. NutMeg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Lol like I'm not going to make all of you read a pretentious 2,000 word review of the show afterward. xD To quote Frasier Crane, "The day I can't give my opinion, you may as well call the coroner and tag my toe because I'm dead."

Oooh I hope you can go see it, too! (And then talk all about it with me! :D) And OMG, so jealous that you got tickets for Les Mis!!!! Congrats!!! Here in Seattle every show is practically sold out, and even the absolute worst seats available are still like $150 each. :'( I'm praying that maybe they'll have a ticket lottery I can enter. Anyway, so cool that you played Fantine! I bet you were great. I wish I had auditioned for school plays back in high school, but I was a loner and didn't participate in extracurricular activities. I was in the school choir, though. If I hadn't chosen filmmaking as a career, I definitely would have tried (and probably failed lol) to become a musical theatre performer!

Hmmm, that's a toughy. I personally listened to the album first before watching the bootleg (huh?? who keeps saying that???), and it didn't spoil the experience for me at all. I don't think it's a show that really demands to be seen fresh - if you've ever watched the Disney film and have even the most vague familiarity with the novel, the plot is fairly predictable. Not in a bad way, though. But the strength is definitely in the music and the staging/performances (when executed well at least, lol.) If the production you see is anything like the original at La Jolla, it will still be visually exciting and surprising, even if you've already heard the score and know how the story plays out. The choreography is amazing (especially Esmeralda's dance numbers), and there are some incredibly cool effects! The lighting alone is very skillfully used to create some powerful moments. (The only big let-down for me was the staging of "Hellfire." I wasn't expecting pyrotechnics, but Frollo basically just stands center stage the whole time. No cool fire-inspired lighting, no Esmeralda dancing provocatively in a red spotlight, nothing. Such a missed opportunity considering how AMAZING the movie scene is!!) Anyway, I don't think you can go wrong either way, but I guess I would probably recommend listening to it first, because it might be helpful to know the lyrics beforehand. There's a huge choir and sweeping instrumentals, so I imagine it would be easy for the soloists to occasionally get drowned out. And since the show uses a Greek chorus style of storytelling, being able to hear the lyrics is vital in order to follow along.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  10. NutMeg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

That is so freaking cool that you ran your own theatre!!!! :O That sounds like a dream job. I don't get to go to the theatre as much as I'd like to either, but ticket lotteries and the occasional discount promotion help. It definitely sucks that the theatre has basically been co-opted by the wealthy and elite, and average folks are often priced out of such a rich cultural experience; as long as the upper class is willing to pay hundreds of dollars to see a show without batting an eye, ticket prices will continue to rise. :( Supply and demand I guess - but then that demand is really only coming from 1% of their customer base... /rant

11. Ksnuggles

Ksnuggles Resident Cake Baker Staff Member DPF Moderator DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0

Well it was not MY theatre... but I did tun the place. Tell me about the prices. I am dying to see Hamilton but I am not paying 300-400 dollars a ticket to see it. I wish i lived in NYC they regularly have 25.00 tickets to shows. I am just happy I got to see Rent in the theatre that it premiered in beforw it left Broadway. I do love that they are creating all these Disney shows.

NutMeg likes this.
  12. Connies_Hobby

Connies_Hobby SPREADING the DISNEY PIN MAGIC!!

Rating - 100%
    86   0   0

Awesome....
    My mother in law and I saw it at a Community Performing Arts Center. I was OVER-THE-TOP Impressed.
    Let us know what you think!

NutMeg likes this.
  13. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    88   0   0

How eggciting!!

[​IMG]

NutMeg likes this.
  14. NutMeg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

You're not yolking! xD I'm still super stoked to see BatB with you, too! I can't believe how inexpensive those tickets are compared to Hunchback, though. I mean, it's Susan freakin' Egan - the original Belle on Broadway!

watzshakinbacon likes this.
  15. Ajk

Ajk New to DPF but not to trading

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0

I love musical theater (and plays as well, but light hearted ones)! I saw Hunchback a couple of years ago and loved it! It came to us after La Jolla and was supposed to then head to Broadway but didn't quite make it. I liked the staging a lot which was very impressive while also being minimal, which I thought was a great achievement. The chorus was especially awesome and I liked the way they incorporated them into the cathedral setting. Definitely overall a bit on the dark side, especially compared to the Disney version, as has already been pointed out. But regardless, you're going to have a great time!

16. LittleBird

LittleBird Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    140   0   0

Very cool. I would love to know how it is. The music is so perfect for a stage show.

17. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

I'm so amazingly excited for you! I have some friends who have seen it MULTIPLE times when it was down in (I think) La Jolla and they couldn't say enough positive things about it. Now that I think on it, I haven't heard anything less than absolutely glowing reviews. One of my biggest regrets is not going when I had the chance. I'm very much looking forward to hearing/reading your review after you see it.

18. dancecats

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

I wouldn't say that I'm an authority on Hunchback, but I think it's fair to say I know a great deal about musical theatre and opera. I don't think the answer to that question is 100% cut and dried. I think it varies, for the most part, on personal preference. Do you like to know the music beforehand? Are you able to follow unfamiliar words and plot at the same time? Or will that take away from your enjoyment of the show? Or if you have very strong mental audial recall, if you're familiar with/memorize the soundtrack beforehand, will you spend the entire show comparing the current production to the recorded album?

Since this varies from person to person, only you know you and can make that decision. However, that being said, there are the occasional productions where I would 1,000% recommend listening to the soundtrack first (for various reasons), but those are few and far between. The premier exception that comes to mind is Hamilton. If you've seen or heard it, you should understand why I would not recommend seeing it without listening to it first (multiple times). Unless the music to Hunchback is a vast departure from the movie (is it?), I can't see it being, IMO, a mandatory exception and I would say whether one chooses to listen to the soundtrack prior to seeing it before seeing the show should be up to the individual.

19. dancecats

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Susan Egan = Absolutely Amazing! I've not only been fortunate enough to have seen her perform several times, but I've actually met and talked to briefly. I can't say enough good things about her - she is one of the funniest, snarkiest (in an entertaining, want to talk to her all day long way), warmest, most amazing people I have ever met, not to mention that she is just blessed with talent!