• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

How to trade internationally?

How to trade internationally?

lucylu

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hello,

i am relatively new to the forum and have just arranged my first trade. I am from Scotland, United Kingdom, and the person in trading with is from America.

can anyone recommend the best way for us to trade? I want to send my pins tracked and signed for, and hope to get the same in return. Will I get charged import tax - if so is there a way to avoid this?

Please help!

Hello
When I post to the US I have to fill out a customs sticker . I always check the gift option and put the value below £10 , no one I've ever traded with has mentioned being charged . I'm not 100% the highest value they could mark down to avoid customs fees but I believe it's around $19 .
As for tracking , I only go for this option if the pin is high value . I believe it's quite pricey for someone stateside to use tracking but if it's a high value you could certainly ask them to . I should also mention that tracking once it reaches the U.S. is sometimes patchy at best , it depends on the carrier some are great others are lousy .
I also always include a note or something so they know who sent it , and be sure to include your address on the back of the parcel in case you get the address slightly wrong and it needs to be returned to you .
If you have any other questions feel free to PM me :)
David

Hello
When I post to the US I have to fill out a customs sticker . I always check the gift option and put the value below £10 , no one I've ever traded with has mentioned being charged . I'm not 100% the highest value they could mark down to avoid customs fees but I believe it's around $19 .
As for tracking , I only go for this option if the pin is high value . I believe it's quite pricey for someone stateside to use tracking but if it's a high value you could certainly ask them to . I should also mention that tracking once it reaches the U.S. is sometimes patchy at best , it depends on the carrier some are great others are lousy .
I also always include a note or something so they know who sent it , and be sure to include your address on the back of the parcel in case you get the address slightly wrong and it needs to be returned to you .
If you have any other questions feel free to PM me :)
David

Thank you so much for your help David :) much appreciated! How do you get a customers sticker? Can I just go to the post office and get it sorted there or so I need to print stuff off? Thanks

If the post in the UK is anything like the post in Canada, the customs stickers will be at the post office. I usually ask for a stack of them so I can bring them home instead of filling them out while at the post office. Bringing all your packages to the post office pre-labeled saves a ton of time!

I only have experience receiving packets in (and sending packets from) Canada, but from my experience packages marked as "gift" with a declared value under $100 (~£50) rarely get held up for additional customs charges. Over $100 it's hit or miss. I've had packages with values of $50 get taxed, and others marked as $250+ get through with $0 duty. It really depends on how feisty or lazy the customs agents are feeling, I suppose ;)

Not sure if or how those experiences translate to receiving packages in the US from the UK, but hope that sheds a little more light on things!

If you are sending the US you can put up to £50 and it won't normally get stopped in customs. I am not sure what the US customs amount is but I am sure an American can confirm what it is meant to be!

Receiving pins is much worse for us though. If the value is above £30 (Sometimes writing $30 it can get stopped, although it shouldn't) you are almost guaranteed it will get stopped at customs! We generally ask those sending to us if they would kindly write an amount around £25 and then it makes it through customs no problem.

We ship to the US regularly and have never had anything stopped at customs going that way and everything usually arrives pretty quickly aswell.

Just go into your local post office let them know you need to send to the US and need a customs sticker they will give you one to fill in. Tick gift and write an agreed value :) As said we usually go around £30 for a package, £50 for a box full of stuff and it always seems to get through customs.

I you have any questions feel free to ask :) We ship to the US alot!

That is such a great help thanks! In sending 2 boxsets worth £100. I'm more worried about receiving though. I recently bought pins on here off a trader from the USA. I bought 2 separate items sent over different days - the second parcel sent a good few days after the first has arrived, however no sign of the first which is worrying!!

If you are sending the US you can put up to £50 and it won't normally get stopped in customs. I am not sure what the US customs amount is but I am sure an American can confirm what it is meant to be!

Receiving pins is much worse for us though. If the value is above £30 (Sometimes writing $30 it can get stopped, although it shouldn't) you are almost guaranteed it will get stopped at customs! We generally ask those sending to us if they would kindly write an amount around £25 and then it makes it through customs no problem.

We ship to the US regularly and have never had anything stopped at customs going that way and everything usually arrives pretty quickly aswell.

Just go into your local post office let them know you need to send to the US and need a customs sticker they will give you one to fill in. Tick gift and write an agreed value :) As said we usually go around £30 for a package, £50 for a box full of stuff and it always seems to get through customs.

Don't worry just yet!
It all depends on what service they use in the US to send it to you. We have had to wait up to 6 weeks for a package before (although this is rare).

How long have you waited for your package so far?
I am guessing you are sending a couple of Big Hero 6 Box sets off to the US then.

If you are sending them to the same person we would personally still value them at £50 just so they don't get stopped at custom. If you are sending them seperately £50 is fine per one!

If you value the package over £50 the shipping you have to pay is different as well which will cost more to ship.

thank you for this info. I always do the $ mark. I sent lucylu two packages, the second one has made it before the first. The number comes back as being or passing through customs. I have never had a problem sending international and the addresses/postal code match.
I have receipts and custom forms as proof of mailing.

Back