I am headed to WDW September 28-October 12

Discussion in 'Disney Chat' started by Xanaduhaz, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Disneychildwithin

Disneychildwithin Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

slbrabham likes this.
  2. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

That's very sweet of you to say, thank you very much.

3. dancecats

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

A few things to be aware of regarding Caribbean Beach: first and foremost, the resort is huge and very. spread. out. Caribbean Beach is the only Moderate resort with two bus lines going through, the Disney busses that take you to the parks and an internal line that transports you throughout the resort itself. Depending upon where your room is located, you might not be close enough to the 'main' building (with the gift shop and dining) to walk. I would strongly recommend asking for a room within walking distance to the 'main' building to mitigate some of the waiting for transportation. It won't be guaranteed, but Disney being Disney should try to honor the request whenever possible. Furthermore, the resort has 8 bus stops (more than most), which can make for very crowded buses going to/from the parks.

Secondly, Caribbean Beach is the only resort with no guest lifts. I don't know if you or your traveling companion will have trouble taking stairs, but if you do, you'll need to request a room on the ground floor. Again, there are no guarantees, but Disney should try to honor requests whenever possible ... and if this request is being made for medical reasons, they should either be able to accommodate it or move you to a different resort (I've had to change resorts for medical reasons several times and every time, Disney was just fantastic about it).

As far as the construction goes, I would consider changing to another Moderate resort just on that alone, if you can. I know that you think you're going to use the resort to sleep, shower, and store your things (which is why staying at a Moderate is SO smart), but I think you'll be surprised at how much construction can impact your stay. Construction tends to start very early and depending upon where they're working in relation to your room, you may end up not having to set your alarm clock to wake up in the morning. Considering the length of your stay, there may be a few mornings where you will want to sleep in a little or go back to your resort for an afternoon swim. And don't fail to underestimate what construction (either at the resort or the surrounding streets) can do to your commute, either to/from the parks. The last thing you're going to want is to be stuck in traffic, either when you're first setting out for the parks early in the morning or heading back and the only thing you want is a shower and your bed (and maybe not in that order). Plus on a purely aesthetic point of view, I just don't find it very magical to look out and see heavy machinery out my window (or the resort) - and for a first trip to WDW, I would want everything to be MAGIC.

4. dancecats

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

(Continued):

I do understand how difficult it will be to not want to do everything. But here's the thing: as I have said, WDW is twice the size of Manhattan (not an exaggeration). You can't get an idea of the scale from the map, but very few resorts are within walking distance to a theme park and while you technically can walk from Epcot to the Studios, not everyone would consider that distance walkable (and those are the only parks that are of arguable walkable distance to each other if you want to park hop). If you choose to park hop, you'll have to contend with waiting for Disney transportation, and with the construction, it can take up to an hour (if not longer) to get from Park A to Park B. I repeat my recommendation to book your dining, select a few priorities that you would consider 'must dos' each day, and then take everything else as it comes. That isn't to say that your dining and 'must dos' will be the only thing that you will do during the day; the time of year you're going should allow you to accomplish quite a lot. I'm just not recommending that you cram every waking minute full of activity; you'll be one of 'those people' who leave WDW completely burnt out, exhausted, needing a vacation after this holiday, and never wanting to come back (you laugh, but I've seen it happen more times than I can count). Please remember that WDW isn't going anywhere, you ALWAYS can plan a second (third, fourth, fifth) trip to do anything that you may miss (or want to experience again).

As far as 'must sees/must dos': I absolutely would consider the MNSSHP at the Magic Kingdom and Food & Wine at Epcot, both I would consider not to be missed. The MNSSHP is a hard ticket event, Food & Wine is included with park admission (but has hard ticket options); I can go into both events in greater detail.

For what I would consider the attraction must dos, let's take it by theme park:

Magic Kingdom:
    1. PhilharMagic
    2. Haunted Mansion
    3. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
    4. Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom (an interactive game, not an attraction, but very unique)

Epcot
    1. Soarin'
    2. Test Track
    3. World Showcase

Hollywood Studios
    1. Toy Story Mania (and anything in Toy Story Land - if open)
    2. Tower of Terror/Rock 'n' Roller Coaster
    3. Star Tours
    4 Fantasmic

Animal Kingdom
    1. Pandora (Flight of Passage and Na'vi River Journey)
    2. Expedition Everest
    3. Kilimanjaro Safaris

Do you plan to visit the water parks? As far as dining goes, I need to know what type of vegetarian you are; ova-lacto? vegan? And do you have any types of food you particularly like or dislike? Are you particularly daring, willing to try anything at least once, when it comes to food? Or do you prefer to adhere to what you think you'll like? If I know this, it'll be easier to know what to recommend for dining options for you.

5. Xanaduhaz

Xanaduhaz Clinically Pinsane

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0

How do I let them know about any requirements, do I need to contact them now or when I get there? I have fibromyalgia and partial hearing loss and almost completely deaf when I take my hearing aids our at night. I also have mental health issues and being tested for being on the autistic spectrum (So looking to see what accomadations can be made in the parks as well)
    I will talk to my friend about possibly changing resorts depending how bothered she is but there is a fee for any amendments made to the holiday, If we were going to change where would you recommend we change to? I am kinda nervous about changing as everything has to be done by telephone an with my hearing and anxiety makes it harder so I want to know as much as possible before making any decisions

6. Xanaduhaz

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0

Thank you so much for all the information so far. Please any info about MNSSHP and the food and wine festival at epcot would be great. Do you know rough;y when tickest for these events go an sale and roughly how much?

The attraction must do's look great! I will definetely keep those in mind.

I am mainly vegetarian though have recently started eating fish so Pescetarian. I like most food as long as its not too spicy. I would like to think I will try most vegetarian or fish food once.

7. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    482   0   0

This is a great show & a great idea. Sis & I did that last year when we went to WDW; we booked it the same day (whew!) over at Guest Services at AK. The food was yummy!

8. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    482   0   0

Contact them now. You should be able to put in requests via fax and/or email. If you have downloaded the MDE to your phone or log-in to WDW via computer, you should have a way to contact them electronically, rather than via phone.

9. Xanaduhaz

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0

Awesome, it's good you managed to get it same day. It sounds so idyllic. Hoping to book it once the times are released on the app.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

10. Xanaduhaz

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0

I can't see a way to contact them electronically at the moment. All I can see is start check in.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

11. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    482   0   0

In your reservation, is there a drop down menu to put requests then?

12. Xanaduhaz

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0

I don't have a drop down menu its either the start check in or '
    To modify or cancel your reservation, please call (407) 939-1936. Guests under age 18 must have parent or guardian permission to call.'

13. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    482   0   0

Hmm, then I have no idea. I know when I went to WDW last year, I was able to put in a few requests (all I did was to put a celebration in for sister, we didn't care which room we got).

I know some people go through Touring Plans to make a room request (the subscription itself costs $14.95 for one year). Then there is this:
    How to get the Disney World resort room you want

You'll definitely want to request ground floor if you don't want to climb the stairs.

There are basically three ways to add room requests to your reservation:
    • During the online check-in process
    • By calling Disney and asking for the requests to be added to your reservation
    • By faxing a room request directly to your resort’s room assigner (with a free online fax service because you likely don’t have a fax machine!).

You can get the fax number from a Google Search but this is what I found here:
    Walt Disney World Hotels - Fax Numbers
    (407) 934-3488

About five to seven days before check-in is when you want to fax the request. If you don't have a fax, one of the websites recommends using this: Free Fax • Free Internet Faxing

Which will convert your Word document into a fax.

14. dancecats

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

How did you book the holiday package initially? Is there any way you can get back in contact with whoever did the original booking and let them know you need to add those specific requests/changes to your plans?

If you were to change, I would think that you would want to stay within the Moderate resort category, right? Without knowing exactly where the construction is/will be taking place, I can't help you mitigate that particular issue, but with the resorts themselves (assuming you decide to change), I would suggest Port Orleans French Quarter for one simple reason: it's the smallest of the Moderate resorts. The entire resort is very walk-able, with exactly one bus stop, and everything (what I would consider) a very reasonable distance from the main building. I recall that the guest buildings do have lifts; you can request a first floor room if you still want it, but I don't think it will be as necessary at Port Orleans as it would be at Caribbean Beach. I would think, given your health concerns, the last thing you would want is to climb stairs to your room after a full day at the parks.

While I don't find the larger resorts difficult to navigate, I definitely think the smaller resorts are easier. How good is your sense of direction? If you get lost easily, I might use that as a point in favor for switching to Port Orleans French Quarter; because it's so small, I don't know if any other resort is easier to navigate.

The biggest inconvenience is that the resort does not have a table service restaurant, it shares Port Orleans Riverside's restaurant, but there is no rule that says you must eat where you stay. However, as a Port Orleans guest, I believe you are entitled to use the amenities of both Port Orleans resorts.

I understand your concerns about changing, especially since there is an additional fee involved. I'm familiar with all of these resorts to various degrees, but the problem is that I don't know what it is exactly that you want to know about them. When you say you want to know as much as possible ... I could go on and on about them, but what I could tell you may or may not be helpful to you. So to be most helpful to you: which resort(s) are you considering? And what would you most like to know? If I have a few questions/thoughts as starting points, so I know where your concerns are and what you need to know, I know what to tell you to be most helpful.