• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

VINYL I feel like vinylmations are slowing down.. and being weeded out.

VINYL I feel like vinylmations are slowing down.. and being weeded out.

Megfly

Lantern Searcher
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Couple months ago they announced that they'd no longer have the mystery box trading in the merchandise shops anymore.. There also have been less and less sets coming out.. I'm just worried that there are going to be less and less until it just disappears. I heard a rumor and that disney has a new contract with funko pop.. so i wonder if they are going to push their vinylmations through them....

I know everytime I go to my local disney store I notice more and more vinylmation changes... Like for example they would always have the clear three vinylmation trade box behind the counter visible to guests, the past few visits it's either been tucked under the counter or had to be retrieved from the back when I asked to trade.

also they used to have an entire section dedicated to vinylmation and now they just kind of have series randomly tucked throughout the store. It's weird because I feel like vinylmation still does well... I mean BH6 was rarely in stock at my store... But I feel like disney is not wanting it to succeed.

i also feel like a lot of the vinylmation coming out is just sloppy and uninteresting. Disney keeps putting things out no one wants to buy... Or filling series with undesired characters... I mean for example the Frozen series which could have easily been a huge seller is a major disappointment, I've talked to castmembers who have said several customers they've talked to are uninterested in the frozen series... Which is a shame. It honestly probably could have sparked a lot of interest and brought a lot of new collectors into the world of vinylmation.

i mean outside of when they release disney classic series (cinderella, sleeping beauty, little mermaid) I rarely ever want to buy more than two boxes if even from a series... If there's a figure I want I'll buy it through ebay or just wait til my store marks them down to dirt cheap...

right?! like some of the ones they push out i really don't know who the artist is because they are hideous lol. I had someone custom paint over the flynn vinyl because he was just so awful.

I don't know.. I don't even think disney infinity is that popular... like no one goes to the park and says "hey i wanna buy disney infinity characters!"

I don't know.. I don't even think disney infinity is that popular... like no one goes to the park and says "hey i wanna buy disney infinity characters!"

In DLR and DCA most of the stores that had vinylmation wall displays got replaced with infinity characters and vinyls got condensed to a small mobile island.

at Dstreet in DTD vinyls were moved to the very back and infinity was placed up front.

Unfortunately, I think this is true. They were putting out too many designs (some not so great designs) too fast. True collectors were having a hard time keeping up with the collections and with so many sets that were just plain weird ( zooper heroes, extreme wrestlers, under the big top) I think a lot of people just lost interest. I can't remember the last time I added a vinylmation to my collection. Sad because it was really a lot of fun. Good while it lasted I suppose.

I don't have many vinylmations but I have noticed the quality of them has gone down. Some of the designs are just awful. I mean I am interested in the Avengers set because I loved the movie and I collect Marvel stuff but other than that vinylmations seem to be getting weeded out by tsum tsums and Infinity characters(which I love they are great well made little figures even if you don't play the game)

Here's what I had to say about this situation:

We were talking about the Aladdin Jr series and why I'm starting to resent this company (see that thread for further info)

Oh! That is nothing compared to what's happened since then!

1. Yeah... So Disney decided that they were going to release Aladdin as juniors, instead of being a full 3" figures, and a lot of people were kinda mad because the level of detail on them was meant to be on a bigger vinylmation.
2. Disney decided to hold the imagination gala and showcased a lot of new vinylmations but no dates.
3. Some big disneystore artists reported that they haven't worked on vinylmation designs since LAST SUMMER!
4. Every time they release a vinylmation set, they allocate like 10% to the online store and 90% to D-street. the 10% sell out in like 20 minutes and the ones in D-street end up going to the outlet store because they overstocked them. This meant that almost all the vinylmations released go on sale on the outlets for like 70% off, and multiple people have reported that the stock for the discounted vinylmations is increasing and increasing.
5. Release dates got screwed up... Massively!
  • One set came out without any announcements and sold out instantly online, and a lot of people didn't get the chance to buy them because they weren't aware that it had come out.
  • Some sets were announced to come out in like 3 weeks, but ended up going on sale at the end of the announcement week (so 3 weeks early) with no warning.
  • Some sets were advertised to come out in a specific date, online and in stores. They never showed up online.
  • Some sets that were parts of lines (Villainous Duos) didn't come out online, even though other sets in the same line were sold online.
  • The announced the annual Disney Parks vinylmations and mentioned when they would come out... They came out like 3 weeks late and showed up at the wrong stores.
6. Super, and I mean SUPER, limited stock at Disney Stores. See, vinylmation is usually sold in D-Street, but some sets are made for the Disney Store, those are usually the movie ones like Cinderella and 101 Dalmatians. Most stores no longer have these sets because they sold out and they never got any replenishment. With the exception of 101 Dalmatians which no one will buy due to dumb design decisions. 5 of the 8 were Dalmatians that looked very similar, while the two crooks and the maid didn't even get made. Not to mention Roger being tall but Cruella being short.
7. Disney officially removed ALL of the trading boxes from the parks and no longer hold vinylmation trading events. Which meant that every single collector who had piles and piles of traders had to sell them on eBay which devalued EVERY SINGLE VINYLMATION.
8. Limited-to-none new releases. It's been sooo long since we've had an announcement of a new set coming out and people aren't even sure if they will even make them anymore.
9. And finally, the final nail in the coffin..... This steaming pile of horse**** they decided to make:

Oh, and just to make matters worse, the chaser was an olaf wearing a hula skirt.

Yes. DisneyStore, go swim in the money you made off of Frozen and neglect all your fans who follow you blindly.

We went form this perfection:
MVG983615LARGE.jpg

To whatever this is:

I'm so sorry about the long rant, but I need to blow off some steam.

Also, this situation got updated today.

A artist singing the Star Wars vinylmations said that there were more to come and more vinylmations were designed. But the question remains... Are they gonna be like Frozen?

A lot of people are saying that the reason that the Frozen set looks terrible is so that collectors won't buy them and Disney can use that as an excuse to say that the fad is dying.

The only Vinyl that has not come out recently that was suppose to was The Inquisitor and they still have time for SWW.

The frozen set was suppose to mimic the Tsum Tsums look. which was a bad decision.

the trade box thing was messed up.

you can still trade in most Disney Stores some hide the trade box so they dont have to. And most of the time its filled with cutesters and 101D

I think the transition from the old mold to the new mold is what did it for me. They went from looking like Mickey to a very generic version of Mickey and it didn't work. The old mold next to the new looked night and day different. As what was said here earlier, the saturation of the market was ridiculous. There for a while, it seemed like they were releasing a new set every other week. We use to buy them when they came out, but now, all we are getting are the Park Starz series due to the fact that they are unique and they've come out with some really great figures.

I keep hearing people complain about the new mold, but I actually really despise the old mickey mold. lol.

I think the transition from the old mold to the new mold is what did it for me. They went from looking like Mickey to a very generic version of Mickey and it didn't work. The old mold next to the new looked night and day different. As what was said here earlier, the saturation of the market was ridiculous. There for a while, it seemed like they were releasing a new set every other week. We use to buy them when they came out, but now, all we are getting are the Park Starz series due to the fact that they are unique and they've come out with some really great figures.

Not a fan of the new mold either. It didn't stop me from buying the designs that I did like though. I started collecting since Park 1 so seeing how bad things have gotten is actually kind of sad. I would always look forward to new releases and staying up late for Disney Store online releases as well. I also collected the 9" even though they took up lots of space.

I'm one of the few that prefers the new mold, I guess. I think it's the nose that did it for me on the old ones... since it just doesn't fit with a lot of the designs.

Mostly, I'm just sad to see it fading away. Sure... I'll probably save a lot of money, but what do I do with all my traders now!? Maybe I'll start customizing eventually... who knows.

Never really knew too much about these but those Little Mermaid ones are lovely, especially Triton! Such a shame to see the Frozen set didn't maintain a similar artistic standard. :( Everything seems to be coming up Tsum Tsum these days, maybe the focus has shifted to the stackable beanbags instead. I have never seen these in the Disney Stores I've been to, maybe I'm not looking hard enough but it's not as if I went looking for Tsum Tsums either and I found them with no trouble. :s

It's true vinylmations are slowly weeding out but i think they're trying to go in another direction. Instead of releasing set after set, they're coming out with more of the eachez series like the recent stormtrooper eachez series or the eachez that was released during d23. I guess the only drawback is that you'll get lots of doubles if you're trying to get that 1/10 or 1/20 variant. Below are links I found of few of the eachez that recently came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCpdXzX0XdE (Stormtrooper)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4kWqUdqtV8 (from d23)

It also looks like they are going to start a Park-only series of Funko Pops... wonder if that will be a sort of replacement. It would lose the tradability, I think... but not the collectibility.

This is so sad.. the stall that used to sell vinylmations in the park in Hong Kong has changed to sell other stuff instead. Now you hardly see any vinylmations in the park.. And sometimes when I chat to the staff there they don't even know what's vinylmations:cry:

I only have 2 sets of vinylmations that I wanted: 1. Alice in Wonderland. Between trading and buying a few boxes, have complete set. Was lucky with what I bought in that I didn't get duplicates; 2. Peter Pan - My husband traded for set for me. The person didn't have Hook or Tiger Lily (chaser). As luck would have it, my husband took a chance and bought a box that had Hook in it. Got chaser on Ebay.

Don't like 99.9% of the vinyls.

I'm being sent to Orlando for a work conference in a couple of weeks (poor me, right?). Is it worth taking vinylmation traders at all? Do they still do the trading box at D-Street or anywhere else? They still had at least one location at each park when I was there in January 2015... but I don't want to get my hopes up.

I'll mostly be shooting for the 2016 Sorc. Mickey eachez and the Pete one from the Diner series.

I saw them a couple of times but the store that is located near me i haven't visited it from a while but it feels like this range is being changed and for specific reasons a certain section likes it i am not sure every pin collector would consider it but its worth it for me at least.

Will it be easy or more easy now for me to find the old NBC set. I only ever got zero and sandy, but always wanted more.

WWWDD

Back