• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Is PinPics down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is PinPics down
Pinpics couldn't be giving alternate pin trading databases a better gift right now. If current users come to realize that pinpics isn't going to be there when we need it and that the site isn't reliable, they will flock to other options. I know pinpics doesn't see this as a crisis, but it really could become one...

I hope it does become a crisis frankly. The reason PinPics can operate as it does is because it is a monopoly. If other databases become a threat, PinPics would be forced to improve its service to stay competitive.

On a related note, I just added four pins to pintradingdb.com. It took less than ten minutes, and all of the pins are now visible on the site. I can also edit the info. as needed.

Thanks! :D I had taken pictures of those 3 Mulan DSF pins a while ago, never got around to adding them, but I did add a picture against a dark background for contrast as I have noticed pins look different against a light vs dark background :)

Thanks! :D I had taken pictures of those 3 Mulan DSF pins a while ago, never got around to adding them, but I did add a picture against a dark background for contrast as I have noticed pins look different against a light vs dark background :)

By all means, replace my pics! My camera makes everything so dark, and I haven't yet reinstalled Photoshop after my recent reboot.

By all means, replace my pics! My camera makes everything so dark, and I haven't yet reinstalled Photoshop after my recent reboot.

Nope, just adding pictures. I like people to see contrast, if only for the hope that newbies won't think a pin is a scrapper because a pin looks slightly different than a single picture :D

Pinpics couldn't be giving alternate pin trading databases a better gift right now. If current users come to realize that pinpics isn't going to be there when we need it and that the site isn't reliable, they will flock to other options. I know pinpics doesn't see this as a crisis, but it really could become one...
So true. I got tired of waiting and just signed up at pintradingdb.com. I hope PinPics comes back up because I have a ton of wanted pins I don’t want to have to go back through to tag, but if PinPics doesn’t come back (and be reliable), I won’t really have a choice.

Last edited:
It is a Server Issue which PinPics does not own the Servers.
They are working on it, I thought that it was fixed yesterday
afternoon and then … yes, Hit REFRESH as it is intermittent.
PS you did not see me here lol

Just to remind everyone of the last update they gave us. I don’t think blaming Pinpics is really the right course of anger here, since it seems they’re at the mercy of the company who owns/runs the server.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to remind everyone of the last update they gave us. I don’t think blaming Pinpics is really the right course of anger here, since it seems they’re at the mercy of the company who owns/runs the server.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then they should be taking steps to find a new server host. This is not a onetime incident but a repeated pattern. As others have pointed out, the site has gone down for long stretches numerous times before. It goes down with little communication and no indication of when the problem will be resolved. I have not encountered any other website that so casually allows an outage to continue. PinPics has made misstep after misstep in the past five years; they have been happening since I started collecting. If they are unwilling to take responsibility for their own functioning, then I will no longer rely on them for what I'm looking for.

Bottom line: if a website doesn't work, then the owners have failed. They own the site; its upkeep is their responsibility.

Yes, a functional Pin pics site is the MOST important thing to me. I upgraded to gold level sponsor b/c I really wanted to support proper site maintenance. Sigh. Will serously rethink my decision at sponsor renewal time

Personally, I would boycott/avoid all of their other stuff (Pinopolis games, pin trading events, etc.) until they put the focus and effort into fixing the PinPics site. While it is not a direct revenue sources for them, it is vital to us collectors to stay in touch with this hobby. I did "systems" work for over 25 years and trust me, the issue that is going on now can be resolved very quickly if desired. Obviously they choose to spend there time and effort in other areas. The fact that they"do not own the servers" is not an excuse to have your premier entry point to the hobby crippled and out of service.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then they should be taking steps to find a new server host. This is not a onetime incident but a repeated pattern. As others have pointed out, the site has gone down for long stretches numerous times before. It goes down with little communication and no indication of when the problem will be resolved. I have not encountered any other website that so casually allows an outage to continue. PinPics has made misstep after misstep in the past five years; they have been happening since I started collecting. If they are unwilling to take responsibility for their own functioning, then I will no longer rely on them for what I'm looking for.

Bottom line: if a website doesn't work, then the owners have failed. They own the site; its upkeep is their responsibility.

Exactly. And this is leading up to their "busy season." Do we think any small business would allow their website to be down to the lead up to Black Friday, Small Business Saturday and the start of the holiday season? Do we think they'd accept excuses from their hosting company? Would the hosting business be a good business if they allowed their clients to suffer server issues through the client's busy season? No, no and no! And this should hurt the Pinopolis business too, and so their pin partners shouldn't accept a "we're working on it" either because this will ultimately affect THEIR bottom line too, because their reputation is tied to the people who are responsible for Pinpics.

But I know, this is is pin trading so all will be forgiven because they'll release some really cool pins for "Pins at Cost" or their event in FL, or their Pinopolis stuff.

I just don’t think it’s so easy.
I actually have been a member of other websites that have gone down for months, because they had a problem with the server host. And they couldn’t just up and change servers. There was a major issue with the server host where they lost a lot of hardware and it took time them get it all ordered and back and running.
I’ve been able to get on and use the site to at least check my wants, or even add pins to wants/owns/trades. I don’t much use the trade assistant these days.
I just don’t like seeing all the anger and vitriol when we don’t know what’s going on, and a lot of assumptions are being made. I see enough anger and negativity everywhere else, DPF has been a happy refuge.
Positive part is the other database is getting some love, and getting some older pins so it’s not just all Li/Starry doing all the work. It’s never bad to have things on more than one site.

And I will just jump in here with my oft-repeated PSA that you should never rely on an outside service to keep track for you. Always keep your own personal lists (trades, wants, owns) saved and updated as a backup as that's always your most reliable resource.

It may seem like extra work but it's worthwhile in the long run.

And I will just jump in here with my oft-repeated PSA that you should never rely on an outside service to keep track for you. Always keep your own personal lists (trades, wants, owns) saved and updated as a backup as that's always your most reliable resource.

Very sound advice!! And I HAVE done this with my collection (I have created an Excel spreadsheet and backed it up).

Unfortunately, I haven't done it with my trades and wants. Silly me! For the pin event, I really don't need my trades list (the pins I'm trading are in my books, so take a look at my books instead of my trades list) but I DO need my wants list. It's only 25 pins or fewer, so I should be able to reconstruct it if I can't get in...

Also, I do want to point out the difference between negativity and criticism. One is meant to be cruel and one is meant to help the company grow. I'll let you guess which one is which..

One option that I wish was there on both PinPics and PinTradingDB is the possibility of creating themed subgroups in your collection, ex. "Pinocchio pins", "Christmas pins", or whatever the user wants to name them.
In theory you can just use the right word in the search collection bar, but in reality it often shows non-related pins too.
I love organizing collections so that really sucks for me.

Also would be nice if you didn't have to open the picture in order to add it to your lists. I just tried playing with the add a picture features and for the life of me couldn't figure out how to delete a second picture I didn't want to upload. It would also be nice to have the option to rotate while you crop/edit, would save me a ton of time.

Looks like a lot of good ideas and info here. Thank you to all that have shared. That seems like a good way to get the feel of things from a larger amount if people.

One option that I wish was there on both PinPics and PinTradingDB is the possibility of creating themed subgroups in your collection, ex. "Pinocchio pins", "Christmas pins", or whatever the user wants to name them.
In theory you can just use the right word in the search collection bar, but in reality it often shows non-related pins too.
I love organizing collections so that really sucks for me.
There used to be a "group" option so you could create private and public groups. If you look (whenever PinPics is back), you can
find the option at the bottom of the page and you can look at the groups that were previously created. Unfortunately, it is no
longer an option and the current groups cannot be updated.

There used to be a "group" option so you could create private and public groups. If you look (whenever PinPics is back), you can
find the option at the bottom of the page and you can look at the groups that were previously created. Unfortunately, it is no
longer an option and the current groups cannot be updated.

@ryanfury , maybe you can manage this?

This IS Good Advice!!
I also have my Collection in an Excel spreadsheet.

I have "recreated" my Pin Bags by copying the pics onto a Word doc (about 10 small pics across) in the order they are in. That way, I can "show" what I have for Trade without having to open my bags. It's only 4 pages for 2 bags stuffed full.

I also have 3 pages of "Wants" in pictures, arranged by character. Makes it easier when people ask " What are you looking for?" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back