• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Lost $200 worth in pins because of USPS :((((

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lost $200 worth in pins because of USPS :((((
Wow, bottom line: This sucks and I'm sorry for you.

Keep the tracking number and check it periodically. You'll know if the package is delivered. Hopefully the recipient will be honest, but you still have a way to check! And there is always the chance that the package just missed every single scan in between and then will show up as Delivered (legitimately delivered).

Unfortunately, I have heard of this happening many times, with packages disappearing. It seems to be a particular issue in California; I always wonder if someone out there knows what pin mail is and deliberately helps him/herself to the parcels. But after being on the (non)receiving end of one or two packages, I learned to do what has already been mentioned: Get MY packages scanned and get a receipt for proof of mailing. In a trade, it's unfortunate to lose a package--but if you sell anything, you need to prove that you mailed the package to prevent eBay/PayPal from penalizing you. If the USPS loses the package, PayPal will compensate the buyer without penalizing the seller--but if you can't prove that you mailed the package, they'll ding you.

As far as USPS customer service ... start with your local PO. Call them and explain the situation and see what they can do to look up your tracking #. They probably won't be able to tell you much, but the only way to get a real human being is to go local. The automated system (800 #) gets you nowhere but frustrated. (One time, after screaming various things into the phone, I did get connected to a live person. Unfortunately, by that point, I didn't know what the magic word was that triggered this response, so I haven't been able to replicate the experience.) ALSO: EVEN IF IT'S HARD BE SUPER POLITE. The PO workers (deservedly or otherwise) get yelled at all day, ha, so I've found that if I'm super nice and understanding and acknowledge how busy they are and the high volume of mail they deal with (blah blah blah), they are much more likely to TRY to help. (I know you started there, but honestly, act like you've never talked to them before. They won't remember; you're just another person who yelled. HA.)

Thank you for the tips! I always try to be polite towards PO workers but I know they won't always return it because they were previously being yelled at or something

How awful! I have only mailed small packages (of lower valued pins) at the self serve kiosks and put them in the drop box. But if I ever mail something worth more, I'll know now to make sure it gets scanned by an employee. Thanks for your warning to those of us with less experience. I'm hoping those pins show show up!!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Omg that's terrible :( I am really hoping that does not happen to me. I believe karma will come around and they will get what they deserve for being dishonest
I've learned from my mistakes but I've had a lot of good pin karma since then. I've had a lot of people helping me get some of my grails!

I’m sorry that happened to you. That’s terrible! That’s never happened to me with packages and I’ve used the post office thousands of times for thousands of packages. Ive been to the post office so often that wherever I’ve lived the postal employees knew me by name.

It did happen to me once with a birthday card for my autistic little brother, which made me really angry. I was busy that week so for convenience sake I placed it in the mailbox instead of dropping it off myself. I put a Steam gift card in there for his gift and sent it 2 weeks early. He never got it.

Ever since then I always wait in line and have them personally time stamp it and for packages even if it’s prepaid I always get a receipt so that I have some proof I mailed it to wherever I mailed it. It’s sad to have to do it that but it works best that way. That’s not to say packages won’t be lost but I’ve found if I do all I can to ensure my package is at least delivered directly into the post office’s hands I do that.

about 2 months ago sent a package to UK Royal Mail lost it Lost pins and money had to return the funds but person was not a nice person to start with I found out
update; package is still out there somewhere. I only sent by the regular shipping as well. Paypal sided with other person yes I tried to fight it but to no avail. so if sending overseas make sure that you pay for tracking and signature. Because of this I no longer trade overseas but that is my preference.

Shoot! I hope it arrives. I am dealing with something similar, bought a set of 10 pins and the seller shipped it but USPS lost it. Like it hasnt moved since the 15th. Luckily I'm only out 10 bucks but it sucks that this stuff is happening.

Oh no!!! What a horrible Pintastrophy!!! Hopefully they'll find the package!!!
I always make them scan them in and give me a drop off receipt, I have zero trust in the USPS. Sounds like the postal people were really rude too hopefully it will all work out in the end and you'll be able to get your pins back or ho ahead and complete your initial trade.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

So my local post office stopped providing the drop off receipts :p Said it was a management decision. They scanned the packages in front of me but it took 7 hours for the USPS website to update!

I’m so sorry to hear about this. I hope it works out okay. Keep us updated!

It reminded me of an article I read last week about mailbox fishing. People can be so horrible:

Tredyffrin police are warning the public that scammers have another trick, and this time they put fly-paper into U.S. postal mailboxes to “fish” out envelopes to find cash, gift cards, checks and credit card numbers. This may also put personal information at risk.

“Criminals are going low-tech to pull off this high-value scheme, using nothing more than fly-paper on a line to ‘fish’ envelopes right out of US Postal Service boxes,” the Tredyffrin Township Police Department posted on social media.

There’s more, but I didn’t want to post the whole article. Just that people are getting brazen and using fly paper to fish for mail.

So my local post office stopped providing the drop off receipts :p Said it was a management decision. They scanned the packages in front of me but it took 7 hours for the USPS website to update!

That’s why I don’t use pre paid shipping labels anymore. I always wait in line and hand it over to the USPS employee. I take every precaution possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back