• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Minor Mark forum read problem

Minor Mark forum read problem

Duckmite

DPF Charter Member
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
In some forums if I use the Mark forum read feature in Forum tools it looks like nothing happens. Even the Forum Tools menu is left hanging open like I hadn't clicked it at all. But if I use refresh it shows all the threads in the forum have indeed been marked read. I'm using IE8.

In some forums if I use the Mark forum read feature in Forum tools it looks like nothing happens. Even the Forum Tools menu is left hanging open like I hadn't clicked it at all. But if I use refresh it shows all the threads in the forum have indeed been marked read. I'm using IE8.

Mine does that too! At least on my computer at work. And I'm sure it's outdated. haha :) It's really annoying.

Main page list. Am I doing something wrong 'cause I just can't tell when there's new posts in a forum or not! :( Or is there no way to distinguish whether there are new posts or not?
On the main page, the icons for forums that contain new posts appear in color. Forum icons for forums with no new posts appear in black and white. Does this help? :)

We'll also see about clarifying the Icon Legend. Thanks!

Oh! Yeah, that helps, but I never would have figured it out on my own - clarifying that on the main page would be great - thanks!

My thoughts exactly. This would probably have been my next question. Thanks for asking it for me, Jabby!

And thanks for the answer, of course!

Ok, it's almost 5 PM and I don't feel like working, so here comes another question.

When I've read a thread I usually click Back. This doesn't update the status of the thread on the forum main page and after reading a few threads it becomes difficult to remember which have been read and which may have gotten new messages after that.

Could we a) get clicking Back to update the read status of a thread, or b) get a Back button at the bottom of a thread that would do that?

There is a menu which I could use but it's not one-click which I would prefer.

Ok, it's almost 5 PM and I don't feel like working, so here comes another question.

When I've read a thread I usually click Back. This doesn't update the status of the thread on the forum main page and after reading a few threads it becomes difficult to remember which have been read and which may have gotten new messages after that.

Could we a) get clicking Back to update the read status of a thread, or b) get a Back button at the bottom of a thread that would do that?

There is a menu which I could use but it's not one-click which I would prefer.
using the back button on your browser simply loads the previous page from cache, so it won't work for updating the "read" status of a thread or forum. for example, you could probably go to a page, unplug your computer from the internet, press "back" and the previous page would still load.

we can, however add the breadcrumbs to the bottom of the page [same breadcrumbs that appear at hte top of the page to show you what forum and thread you're in, etc) so you don't have to scroll all the way to the top to get back. alternatively, you can also use the "top" button at the bottom of the page to take you all the way to the top of the thread.

loldawg-2.png

we will look into adding the breadcrumbs at the bottom as well, though, so you can get back to the main forum or forum listing quickly.

using the back button on your browser simply loads the previous page from cache, so it won't work for updating the "read" status of a thread or forum. for example, you could probably go to a page, unplug your computer from the internet, press "back" and the previous page would still load.

we can, however add the breadcrumbs to the bottom of the page [same breadcrumbs that appear at hte top of the page to show you what forum and thread you're in, etc) so you don't have to scroll all the way to the top to get back. alternatively, you can also use the "top" button at the bottom of the page to take you all the way to the top of the thread.

loldawg-2.png

we will look into adding the breadcrumbs at the bottom as well, though, so you can get back to the main forum or forum listing quickly.

DizPins managed to update the status of the thread even if you returned to forum main menu by clicking back. I have no idea how they did it. Maybe clicking a thread updated the status first and then opened it?

But having a breadcrumb at the bottom would indeed help. Now it's either scolling or clicking Top to get to a position you can use a controlled exit from the thread or click back and then refresh. A breadcrumb would do the same with one click.

It's nothing major, but it would increase the usability of the site a little.

Back