• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Most effective way to sell Pins these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most effective way to sell Pins these days?

jessatattoo

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Hey guys! I've been sadly out of the hobby for a while. I moved country to be with my fiancee, and lo and behold he dumped me 3 months later with a massive amount of debt thanks to my move (I don't speak German and I left my job in France to be with him and haven't been able to find work the year I've been here and sadly have no money to move back yet) and all my saving sunk into the deposit on "our" apartment. Anyway, it's my first Christmas going home to the US to be with my mom (who's battling stage 3 ovarian cancer) in 15 years and needless to say I really can't afford it. My mom put my ticket on her card then *surprised* me with asking me to pay for half which is more than a month's rent for me due to HIGH holiday airfare- so I've decided to take my pins home with me (I'm currently in the EU), and try to sell some of my higher value ones and any traders I can get rid of.

It's breaking my heart going through them, but I know we really need the money, and family is more important then pins (though ironically pins has made me some great friends and "family" since I've joined the hobby in 2013). So anyway, I'm not getting rid of all of them, and I know there's SO many ways now to sell pins. Ebay has crazy fees, I've never sold on instagram, and I know the forum here is great and the family here means good homes but I know it's a bit slower... I'm taking advantage of being home because I have some jumbos etc and I know in the states my EU/DLRP Paris pins are a bit cooler. And hey, what I don't sell maybe I can get in a few trades to patch up the cracks in my breaking heart haha. I'll only be home for 2 weeks and it's around the holidays which is a pretty difficult time to sell as is. I've been around long enough to know all this but since I've fallen off the hobby for the past year or so I thought I'd shout out to all my amazing friends here for some words of wisdom!

Any advice is sincerely appreciated, and I'm counting the days until I'm gainfully employed and can just trade and save up for my dream WDW vacation and meet some more traders in person!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello there and sorry to hear about your situation. Along with selling here, the biggest place(other than auction sites) seems to be social media such as Facebook. I had a sale sitting here for almost a month before a few recommended it, and thanks to Li(starrysolo) was able to sell a Super Jumbo at my original want price in a matter of days. Best of luck with your sale.

JC

*Dreams of WDW vacation too*
I don't do a whole lot of sales in general, just one so far, many that I have sold aside from my most recent thread have been at cost to friends. (More of a pickup than a sale)

Here are my thoughts from a sales and business perspective.

If you're trying to move merchandise quickly, make sure it's reasonably priced without loosing money yourself, combining fees with shipping also makes a better deal. Know what your shipping costs are going to be, they can definitely sneak up on you, along with PayPal fees.
I would stay away from eBay, the forum is great but not as fast as say Instagram or Facebook. I think you may fall into some shipping complications since everyone in the US will have to pay international shipping costs (super pricey!!) But you'll probably get good offers from international buyers.
Since you're coming to the US for Christmas you may be able to work with some US buyer to send the pins when you're across the pond to save on shipping costs.
Listing in two areas such as a forum and for example Facebook will give you a wider clientele range because you're selling in two places. (Remeber to update as often as possible so you don't run into a 'double sale' issue, where you've sold the pin and forgot and sold it again... no bueno!)

When you post a thread always include prices for your pins, not just cause it's the rules here but because it helps with organization, and there is less confusion for buyers, you don't want a bunch of people only messaging you to find out prices. State in your post if it's sales only or if you're willing to take trades, and don't be quick to turn down an O.B.O. (Or Best Offer) sometimes people are willing to purchase a whole set of pins but want to work with you for a bulk price for all rather than each individual pin.

If you're doing multiple pins for different prices, grouping them by price is great and include pictures as much as possible. People buy with their eyes, kinda like they eat with their eyes first, good pictures gets more interest, just like yummy looking food gets in more stomachs. XD

I don't know too much about Instagram, I don't really use mine so I'm in the dark on that too

Other than that, when you're selling anything try to be kind to the people messaging you, even if their not, though you're not running a business you're putting your name out their as a seller and just like any other business one good buyer can get you 10 more great buyers/traders, where one bad can loose you 100 good ones. Pin sales can be very word of mouth, and a good seller will spread through pin communities.

Hope this helps a bit!!! GoodLuck with your sales and I hope you enjoy your holiday with your mother!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hello there and sorry to hear about your situation. Along with selling here, the biggest place(other than auction sites) seems to be social media such as Facebook. I had a sale sitting here for almost a month before a few recommended it, and thanks to Li(starrysolo) was able to sell a Super Jumbo at my original want price in a matter of days. Best of luck with your sale.

JC
Coblj003 & watzshakinbacon speak truths about Facebook, pins sell much faster through social media since more people are on those sites and check them more frequently.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

As the others have said: social media is a great platform for selling. I don't have Facebook but know that there are many pin groups on Facebook that can help you sell if you can get in the group.

Instagram is another platform and you don't need to be part of any group for people to see your postings. You would want to use hashtags so your post will come across the feed and people will see. I generally use#disneypintrading, #pintrading, #pinsforsale, #pintraders to look for pins to buy or trade.

Make sure to account for any PayPal fees in your price you are asking for.

Social media. Since you'll be in the US for about 2 weeks, approximately one to two weeks before arriving, start posting here and all other forms of social media that you are selling your pins and that you will ship from the USA. Make sure to tell people that shipping starts at an extra $5 (to ship first class mail + insurance is approximately $5) and be prepared to negotiate.

I'm not sure where in the US you will be, but if in CA, My D Pins will purchase collections in bulk (if you want to get rid of it right away) If you're in the Orlando, FL area, Booster Packs and Beyond does the same.

Also, there's a gal here, DISDebi that says she buys collections too.

But remember, those that buy collections pay 25-50 cents on the dollar (they have to be able to make money too).

Then, depending on where in the US you will be, you might also be able to meet up with people in person to sell (for cash).

I'm very sorry to hear about your mom and I really do wish her, and you, the very best. I have seen apps such as LetGo and OfferUp that have listings for Disney pins but they are more specific in terms of listing and/or showing items in your current area. While I have not purchased anything off of these apps I do know there are no fees with selling through the app, though it is mostly a "meet up" platform where you meet in person whom you are selling and buying from.

So sorry you have been going through such a rough time. Sending you cyberhugs ((HUGS)).

I agree with the others that FB and IG probably are your best places to go. Never used IG but I have sold/bought pins on FB. Super easy.

Best of luck and wishing you better times ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back