My Disney College Program Adventure

Discussion in 'Disney Chat' started by Purplemandms, Aug 6, 2018.

1. slbrabham

slbrabham Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0

Congrats on the opportunity!

2. KT07

KT07 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Congrats. Sounds like a great opportunity.

3. swscref

swscref Active Member

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0

Wonderful news. Congratulations!

4. Purplemandms

Purplemandms Like the candy!

Rating - 100%
    54   0   0

Day 1 update: checked in to an awesome apartment, and am on my way to casting!

Also found out that our welcome event is Alice in Wonderland themed and I am LOVING IT

[​IMG]

5. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

Have fun getting fingerprinted lol, don't forget to take pictures of the hall, and if you don't I'll share you mine sometime. We had our welcome party at Chatham too though I can't remember what theme it was...

Purplemandms likes this.
  6. Purplemandms

Rating - 100%
    54   0   0

I was planning on saving the photos for Traditions when I don’t look like a mess.

coblj003 likes this.
  7. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    78   0   0

This is so exciting!

8. Kerri780

Kerri780 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Wow this is so cool!!

Congrats and please keep us updated as much as possible :)

9. Purplemandms

Rating - 100%
    54   0   0

Day 2 Update: Had a housing meeting, checked out the parks (because I’m still an annual pass holder), and saw Happily Ever After for the first time!

[​IMG]

They also had a fun flower pot painting event. So I got my art on.

[​IMG]

10. Addicted to Alice Pins

Addicted to Alice Pins My name is Ann, and I'm here to enable you!

Rating - 100%
    86   0   0

YOU HAD NEVER SEEN HAPPILY EVER AFTER?!?! EMILY. That is the single greatest experience I have ever had in my life, ever. Greatest. Ever. So much great. Great. So great. Ever. :D

I'm glad you are getting to enjoy the parks and experience new things before they put you to work. And I very much like your flower pot! It is bee-yoo-tee-ful.

11. Purplemandms

Rating - 100%
    54   0   0

More updates! Because it's been a hot minute:

Day 3 (Thursday): Our welcome event was a blast! Pizza, music, characters, and a fancy wall of hands that was handing out Rice Krispie treats. A highlight was that I was able to meet the Red Queen, which is awesome because one of my goals for the DCP is to meet as many characters as I can!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 4 (Friday): Traditions day! Finally received my Blue ID and name tag. I won't spoil any of the surprises that go along with Traditions, but it was a fun day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 5 and 6: Made my first trip to cast connections, met up with some friends to play mini golf and go to the magic kingdom, then spent Sunday sleeping in and meeting King Louie and Baloo at Animal Kingdom for Photopass day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tomorrow starts my first official day of job training, so the daily updates will stop and will likely go to weekly updates. (Albeit, short and not totally entailing my day to day routines, just the highlights.)

If you guys have any questions bout the program, I'm here as always!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    chubs191, krand1276, TinyTink and 3 others like this.
  12. Addicted to Alice Pins

Addicted to Alice Pins My name is Ann, and I'm here to enable you!

Rating - 100%
    86   0   0

Soooo jealous of your welcome party, haha. <3

And I love Fantasia mini-golf!!! Although I'm pretty sure the particular hole you shared in the photo is the one where my commanding lead went down the tubes and I used some un-Disney language. :D

Purplemandms and bookhugger like this.
  13. coblj003

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

It looks like you are having a great time, do you mind if I steal your badge from your sig for mine lol. I still have my CM Lanyards and ID but I can't seem to find my Mousters/Duckorate/CP completion paperwork...

Purplemandms likes this.
  14. Kerri780

Kerri780 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

wow, it looks amazing I'm glad you're enjoying the experience so far, looking forward to your weekly updates :)

Purplemandms likes this.
  15. Purplemandms

Rating - 100%
    54   0   0

We did the summer track at winter summer land too! We actually did that one before Fantasia, and were surprised at how difficult the course was. But I did manage a to score under par anyway. ;)

16. Purplemandms

Rating - 100%
    54   0   0

I can make you one of your own! (Mine has my name towards the end.) And I still don’t know what classes I’m in yet. The suspense is killing me!

17. coblj003

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

That would be cool. I was in one of the last move-ins so my class selection were not first choice. I ended up taking in Leadership Development and Disney Heritage; I was attempting to take the individual classes that make up the equivalent of the Marketing You class through Disney University before having to drop out due to work schedule conflicts...

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    Purplemandms likes this.
  18. Purplemandms

Rating - 100%
    54   0   0

Popping in to say that breakfast at trails end is DELICIOUS

[​IMG]

Best cheese grits I’ve ever had (and I’ve had a lot of cheese grits)

chubs191, krand1276, TinyTink and 3 others like this.
  19. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

It sounds like you're having an absolutely MAGICAL time and I couldn't be more excited for you. Please be sure to continue to keep us updated on your amazing experiences so we can enjoy right along with you. Do you know where you're going to work yet?

Also, as an aside: I'm going to be at WDW for a few days in the middle of December and the beginning of January. I would love to meet up with you then (and anyone else who happens to be in the area).

Purplemandms likes this.
  20. Purplemandms

Rating - 100%
    54   0   0

My oh my what a wonderful day! Err.. days.

Today marks day 2 of my “Frontierland Orientation” before training. I’ve caught a small cold, so after spending yesterday in the hot son I slept like a baby. (Which is good, because I have to wake up at 5 for work.)

That being said, let’s recap the last couple days!

Day 7 (Monday): Welcome to Operations. Breakfast at Trail’s End, followed by business casual fun at Disney University. We learned about the power of the green zone. (And a bunch of other safety stuff.) Then had Four Keys basics with an amazing instructor. That class flew by. Plus, check out this haul from Company D! (I had a gift card burning a hole in my wallet.)

[​IMG]

Day 8 (Tuesday): Day off! Caught up on laundry then headed to Hollywood to finally see Toy Story land (and get a great score on Maina, of course). But then it started to POUR so my roommate and I hi-tailed it back home.

Day 9 (Wednesday): Business casual fun IN THE MAGIC KINGDOM! The day started with a thorough tour of the park before it opened, followed by costuming, lunch, watching festival of fantasy, riding splash and thunder, and signing up for the Hub. What a day! With the costuming of course came my location reveal, and I’m happy to say that everything is Satisfactual for Splash Mountain’s newest trainee. (And now I’m regretting buying the stuff at Company D because I want EVERYTHING Splash Mountain themed. Especially the towel. But I just bought two brand new Disney towels which I still haven’t used. If anyone wants to trade, let me know. ;) )

Day 10 (Thursday): An in-depth tour of Frontierland, going across all of Tom Sawyer, getting a very detailed backstory of Thunder, seeing the Bears perform, and getting soaked on Splash (again). But best of all is that myself and the other trainees got to hold the blue rope at the end of the parade! So we got front row “seats” to Festival of Fantasy (one of the dwarves noticed my “earning my ears” ribbon and made my day) and then held back the crowds so the ropes could be taken down. I know that for some, PAC (parade audience control) isn’t the most fun, but I’m personally psyched for it.

Tomorrow begins my first day of on the job training, which will continue every day until next Thursday. Stay tuned!

chubs191, krand1276, TinyTink and 4 others like this.
  21. TinyTink

TinyTink Africa-The Real Animal Kingdom DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

This is fabulous; can't wait to hear more! I'm planning for my third career to be with Disney :)

22. Purplemandms

Rating - 100%
    54   0   0

Oh oh oh!!! And as we were touring Tom Sawyer island, our guide pointed out a hidden owl on the island. For those of you who don’t know me that well, owls have been my favorite animal as long as I can remember. And he told us a story about Walt’s relationship with owls, and why he tried to include them in his work whenever possible. I found a version of this story online:

“An owl drowsing in the cool shade of a tree on a Missouri farm one afternoon 30 years ago influenced the career of a man and helped fashion the fantasy of an era. Blinking in the uncomfortable light, the bird felt hands encircling it. Instinctively it beat its wings and clawed, and just as instinctively a frightened lad of seven hurled the owl to the ground and, in his terror, stamped on it.

“That owl is the only thing that Walt Disney ever intentionally killed. The incident has haunted him over the years. Occurring in a formative period, it directed his attention, subconsciously, to the birds and gentle beasts that play such an important part of his craftsmanship, and helped to shape his philosophy.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    120   0   0

Wow! That's haunting, yet beautiful.

Purplemandms likes this.
  24. broadwaybookworm

broadwaybookworm Active Member

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

Omg the green zone! I'll never forget that class. Have fun at splash!

Purplemandms likes this.
  25. hopemax

hopemax DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    169   0   0

My Mom spent about 4 years working in Upper (I think it's upper) Frontierland merchandise. Near the end of it she was working put away/heart of house for Briar Patch almost exclusively. But her early time was split between Splash & Briar. Needless to say, my Dad has an extensive Splash Mountain collection now.

Good luck!

Purplemandms likes this.