• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!
New filter in chat?
Re: Origanal post about rude pin trader in chat

hey I like this guys spelling & lack of understanding of the internets inability to speak in ones face,lol...I shouldnt talk my spelling is worse...humph....}=(

Last edited:
I personally have not had any problems here, I would hate to see this site leave:( I have been in the chat room a few times, only problem I had when asking a ? got no response, maybe the other people were busy doing something else, so it was not upsetting too much, hope this all gets worked out.
Really don't like seeing this kind of thing on here.
Happy trading all :)

I'm not a foul person on the internet, but this is the exact reason I stopped posting over at the old Dizpins boards. Once they began filtering and asterisking every little word..even Pin Shark...I had enough of it!

Let people say what they want, if they cannot get the hint that others don't appreciate what they're saying then ban them from chat through a moderator. Don't go censoring people.

I've only visited the chat room twice since it's inception. One time was fine, but the other time, the language was so foul and offensive (to me & my sensibilities) that I hightailed it out of there and have never been back.

Am I a prude? Absolutely not. Do I feel that poor grammar and foul language indicate either ignorance or just a limited education and/or vocabulary? Yes, and I choose to not be around it.

Free speech doesn't have to be offensive. Most of us don't see the need to be vulgar. Thank you for the filters.

Is it a good thing that I don't know why shark would be censored?

I believe it's because some people thought it was rude & offensive to refer to another person as a "pin shark". But hey. A shark is a shark. A jerk is a jerk. I think it's a pretty polite term, myself. :)

SharkAny pin trader who knowingly takes unfair advantage of a less knowledgeable pin trader. Also, a pin trader who uses unfair practices to obtain more than his or her allotted share of Limited Edition or Special release pins.

Thats on Dizpins ref guide..

Judy

I believe it's because some people thought it was rude & offensive to refer to another person as a "pin shark". But hey. A shark is a shark. A jerk is a jerk. I think it's a pretty polite term, myself. :)

SharkAny pin trader who knowingly takes unfair advantage of a less knowledgeable pin trader. Also, a pin trader who uses unfair practices to obtain more than his or her allotted share of Limited Edition or Special release pins.

Thats on Dizpins ref guide..

Judy

Oh okay! Thanks so much for the clarification ladies!
f1099956.gif

Although hysterically enough, the term "shark" does mean some pretty explicit things and horrible things as well. But I doubt that's why dizpins censored it.

-JD

:lol:! Very well then...

^ This was their expression when I told them they cannot visit DPF anymore. Don't worry, though. They'll get over it.
smiley_consoling.gif

Hahaha,

Aw, I didn't mean to make them sad.

Lets just use common sense and know when and when not to use certain words. Simple as that.

Censorship hmm, blocks certain words but there are ways of bypassing it. Not that I don't condone it, there should be some form of etiquette as it'll ultimately reflect on the whole later on. Recently my 10 year old brother in-law "joined" a forum, his mother didn't even know. He used the chat often, using his internet anonymity to make up his own persona, telling others he was from Europe, knew three different languages as which English was his third, and then ended up sharing personal information such as e-mail and facebook accounts and more. His mother found out from a moderator at said site, she was concerned that his information he was saying wasn't what he was providing, ouch. It goes to show you that while we "adults" may not feel concerned about this issue, there are impressionable minds out there that you still need to watch out for, don't be stupid.

Last edited:
Censorship hmm, blocks certain words but there are ways of bypassing it. Not that I don't condone it, there should be some form of etiquette as it'll ultimately reflect on the whole later on. Recently my 10 year old brother in-law "joined" a forum, his mother didn't even know. He used the chat often, using his internet anonymity to make up his own persona, telling others he was from Europe, knew three different languages as which English was his third, and then ended up sharing personal information such as e-mail and facebook accounts and more. His mother found out from a moderator at said site, she was concerned that his information he was saying wasn't what he was providing, ouch. It goes to show you that while we "adults" may not feel concerned about this issue, there are impressionable minds out there that you still need to watch out for, don't be stupid.

Filters can't stop that from happening though.

Back