New Policy at Grand CA Hotel, Anaheim

Discussion in 'Disney Chat' started by pincrazy, Sep 7, 2018.

1. pincrazy

pincrazy Active Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

As of this past week, if you drive and self park at the hotel, you need to check in first and get a hotel key before you park.

There is a new Security Gate at the driveway entrance to hotel, and you can't go up the walkway without it.
    So NO entrance without a Grand CA Keycard anymore, even with the security guard standing there. The gate will only open if you have a CURRENT keycard, I know that sounds logical, BUT some have kept old keycards and showed the security guard and gotten to go up the walkway.
    If you're eating at the restaurants you'll need to go through DTD entance until they figure out how they want to handle it.

Also use of pools are being checked by wristbands.

White Water Snacks is officially going through renovation and is suppose to close at end of this month, reopen in March. It won't affect the side entrance to DCA.
    Also it's now listed on the activities list that pin trading at Grand CA is everyday at 5pm.
    Hope this info helps ....:p

2. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0

Thank you for the info. :) Very helpful.

The whole entrance through the grand ca. hotel has been interesting to watch as DLR has beefed up their security across the past few years. I have seen some visably upset people who have been used to entering DTD or DLR through the Grand CA. I am thinking people are finding the restrictions on the Grand CA frustrating to say the least. I miss the 'old' days when you could roam unrestricted, but I totally understand the security and why.

3. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    115   0   0

Can you still enter from DCA without being a hotel guest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. pincrazy

pincrazy Active Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

I totally miss those days as well! Everything was offered as a perk and convenience, total treat being a hotel guest!

After Disney promoted to the resort guests, Disneyland Hotel, and Paradise Pier, entrance through Grand as a perk. Then taking it away, and only a perk to Grand guests, probably because Grand guests complained bout standing in the long line with other hotel guests and could have saved hundreds a nite....
    Question became how the other hotel guests would get to parks during construction of new hotel (on hold) since DTD pathway would be closed off- it's definitely been confusing!

What i didn't realize was the security guards on the corner, job only allowing Grand guest access, were getting harassed and confronted by people trying to get access from off property locations, not to mention Disney property. The gate alleviates the decision making, the security guards probably just make sure you're not walking in the driveway to get around the gate.

I'm wondering if Disney will try to enclose from Katella onto Disney Way if they're concerned about off property guests accessibility and only allow Harbor Blvd as the public access.
    I'm guessing with Star Wars Land opening next year,more security changes will be coming.

Also forgot to mention the Guest Service desk in the hotel, that use to close at 8, NOW closes at 6. AND in the effort to cut back paper-Disney hotels no longer offer park maps or schedules, they are at the gates only.
    Last note, and not sure when it changed, but I just realized park times are not printed on the park schedules anymore, for opening and closing times.
    As of today both parks are now up for Halloweentime! Curious to see if the nonFriday party nights will sellout at the new prices..since now it doesn't include parking. That's an additional 20 for non AP signature goers.
    Sorry for the long post : p

5. pincrazy

pincrazy Active Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

You don't need to be a guest to enter from the Grand hotel, but you'd need to enter the hotel through DTD.

Only required to be a guest for early morning/magic to DCA.

6. watzshakinbacon

Rating - 100%
    115   0   0

I just meant from the park to the hotel. I go the hotel to take a nap in the lobby sometimes

starry_solo and momin.ator like this.
  7. pincrazy

pincrazy Active Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

Oh sorry, definitely.! They don't ck for keys going from parks to hotel.
    Also there's other parts of the hotel to relax at. If you go to the back side of the inside fireplace, there's another fireplace with rocking chairs and lounge chairs to relax at.

watzshakinbacon likes this.
  8. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

Thanks for the heads up, we stayed at the Grand CA this summer and while I recall said gate it was open and a guard was present at all times along with a Hotel CM during the day.

pincrazy likes this.
  9. pincrazy

pincrazy Active Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

I didn't have my key on me, I thought the guard would let me in, but instead I had to talk in the speakerbox for them to verify, while employees waited to go through. All employees had to swipe their ID as they went through.

I had heard at front desk they're getting a new computer system for checkin and that the program requires a creditcard on file. I'll have to get more info but they mentioned the card would hold $250 on account while you're stay. Is this common? Does WDW hotels do something similar? Just curious....

10. pincrazy

pincrazy Active Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

Forgot to ask if you had a pleasant trip?

11. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

The trip was nice sans a bit of family drama, but I recall we had to leave by midnight the following day or risk having to pay another night's parking fee lol. It's getting very common for hotels to put a hold on a card to cover MISC charges after checkout so it may be just a normal issue, this affects debit card holders for the worse as the bank typically will hold that amount until that particular transaction processes, credit cards purchases should still go through regardless.

pincrazy likes this.
  12. pincrazy

pincrazy Active Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

Thanks for info. Hardly travel lately so i was surprised. Sorry to hear bout family problem. Ugh yes the parking fees

13. watzshakinbacon

Rating - 100%
    115   0   0

Good to know! :p

14. pretty Omi

pretty Omi Resident Smol Wolf

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

Yeah they’ve been restricting access to the Grand as far as the entry out front (as if you were walking from Paradise Pier) or from DTD to only hotel guests (of any hotel) since they moved the bag check from DTD to the structure. Sometimes the DTD entrance is open tho if it’s not a particularly busy day. Also you can go in if you have a reservation at a restaurant, but they will ask for proof.
    You can still go through the gate inside DCA to exit into the hotel, but one time they wouldn’t let me go back to re-enter the park that way, I had to go alllllll the way around.
    The parking thing, this is the first I’ve heard of it tho.

15. pincrazy

pincrazy Active Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

As a hotel guest parking fee you pay for is overnight, they allow up to midnight of the day you checkout. If you go beyond that they consider you non staying and the rate changes. When you exit they check your dates on the room key. Hotels discourage DLR/DCA parking so it's higher than the lots, at 1 time I think it was $50 a day.

16. Shelterkat

Shelterkat A Very Merry Unbirthday!

Rating - 100%
    370   0   0

Just a side note. I'm glad I got to live during a time when there were no security checks anywhere in life. It's really kind of sad how it is now. Strangers rummaging through our belongings, metal detectors, pat downs, security cameras. :(

17. pincrazy

pincrazy Active Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

Just an update....
    For those pin trading at Grand CA 5pm, it's crazy lately since word got out they had new HMs, there's been a crowd to deal with and not enough HMs

As of yesterday White Water Snacks has
    Closed for remodeling and won't reopen till next year, nachos will be served at Hearthstone. When it reopens it will be renamed White Water Grill with probably changed menu.

chrisdonturner likes this.
  18. watzshakinbacon

Rating - 100%
    115   0   0

Is the hotel a relatively sure way to get the new HMs?

19. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    510   0   0

Nope, I was there on Saturday and no new HMs :p

20. pincrazy

pincrazy Active Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

Initially yes! I think that's why so many show up., About 5+ CMs with lanyards would arrive but not all have New HMs. Definitely easier at 1 location, than running through the park looking for CMs.
    But at this point it's getting unruly., and the line isn't clear. I'm there early, but haven't had any luck lately due to the craziness. Sunday had close to 30 waiting, and the CMs got rushed. It reminds me of the last Window release when the entrance gates opened.
    With the crowds I doubt wave B will last too much longer, at least at the hotel. :(

21. Shelterkat

Rating - 100%
    370   0   0

Argh! Bad memories!!!!!!!:eek:

22. KT07

KT07 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

"Sunday had close to 30 waiting, and the CMs got rushed.".

Dang that sucks. But I guess that's how some people act. The funny part is that kind of behavior makes a lot of traders look bad. That's why some CMs do not like the hobby. But on a side note. It makes it pretty easy for them to tell what kind of fan you are. I feel us more layed back ones, get treated more freindly and often get that little extra Disney Magic when we are looking for a HM or what not.

pincrazy likes this.
  23. pincrazy

pincrazy Active Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

As of this week, the Grand has now updated their computers, and CMs are in training mode, till they get familiar with new display and format. It took close to 20-30 min to check in, use to be 10, not including the line at registration.

Also Halloween at the hotels have changed from trick or treating between the resort hotels, to just guests of the hotel you're staying.at. They use to hand out a route map for all the locations to go to for the 3 hotels, sort of like a large neighborhood. Anyway that changed and was throughout the month of October.

Parks are setting up for the Holiday Season already:p

24. pincrazy

pincrazy Active Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

Just an update on getting new HMs at the Grand daily Trading,
    Since it got out of hand, last Wednesday with the CM that had the Wave A, it's going to be trickling out slowly and randomly. Basically it's to help curb those that were taking advantage of the situation and make it enjoyable for everyone.
    Basically he was mobbed with hands grabbing the new HMs, it took a few minutes to calm it down, but it was unmanageable in the beginning.
    So a good thing, once again has a chance of being curbed, due to our behavior. It took the CM months to coordinate/permission and get this organized for us Pin Collectors/Traders, it's not an easy/quick process.
    Hopefully, this new slower release will help deter some of the offensive behavior? Hard to say, but at least it's action before someone gets hurt, or the worst, complaints.....

25. Shelterkat

Rating - 100%
    370   0   0

I swear..pin people at our parks are so out of control. It's ridiculous.

Connies_Hobby and Ajk like this.