Notre Dame In my heart

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by ItzaPinfan, Apr 15, 2019 at 12:12 PM.

1. ItzaPinfan

ItzaPinfan Noob

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

Heart broken to see Notre Dame and its iconic steeple fall. Sending massive hugs to those in France. Had the privilege of visiting there 15 years ago and I’m just stunned...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 1:00 PM
    Ocean7, Ajk, krand1276 and 1 other person like this.
  2. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    87   0   0

Stunned is a good word to describe the feeling. Will of course not be the same but I hope they rebuild...

3. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0

So terribly heartbreaking. We just got back from Paris a little over a week ago, and thinking of seeing the stained glass in the cathedral, and never seeing again brings me to tears. I really hope they'll rebuild as well.

4. krand1276

krand1276 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0

This was so saddening to see. When we visited Paris in October, this was the only place we got off the bus to look at more closely. Such history. Hopefully it will mostly survive and this will just be another event in its history.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Added some photos from our trip:[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 12:55 PM
    watzshakinbacon likes this.
  5. MischiefMade

MischiefMade Ghost Dog Trainer

0   0   0

This is so sad. It has been on my list for when I finally got to Paris....I can only hope that they will rebuild and that the splendor of the Cathedral will still be the same.

6. KJackson1195

KJackson1195 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

My heart goes out also. My wife and I had this on our itinerary for next year when we go to Disneyland Paris. So sad to know we will miss out on it. We had a chance to go 20yrs ago and didn't. Was really looking forward to it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

7. chubs191

chubs191 Beautiful Tomorrow Admirer

Rating - 97.8%
    44   1   0

This is so incredibly sad. Notre Dame is one of the best examples of architectural marvels I had hoped to visit one day. Now it seems like I won't be able to visit it in its previous state. I only hope they can restore it as much as possible without ruining the integrity. If y'all wanna good cry here's a video going into the media of Notre Dame:

shooting4ownhand likes this.
  8. shooting4ownhand

shooting4ownhand Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    71   0   0

My heart breaks over Notre Dame. My coworker and I have nearly been in tears since we heard about it. Notre Dame was pretty much gutted by the 19th century. It was massively restored in the 19th century, in large part to Victor Hugo. It will be restored again. Notre Dame is such a huge part of French history and culture. It will be restored. I cannot see the French people not restoring it again.

9. Spr175psu

Spr175psu Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    78   0   0

I was supposed to visit in 3 days :( My heart is with them since I know how much it meant to France and to people around the world.

watzshakinbacon and Tokaji like this.
  10. tiffychann

tiffychann Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

I was a small child when I went and I regret not being able to remember most of it. I’ve been wanting to visit this again the next time I go to Paris which I have been putting off because of “I don’t have the time to go”. Sucks not having any paid time off.

My heart goes out to those devastated by this tragedy.

11. xdattax

xdattax Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0

Supposedly the firefighters went in and pulled as much of the art and reliquaries as they could. Reports are saying they saved a lot of it.

The spire dates from the 1850s. I bet the plans still exist, they can rebuild it. The bells hopefully will survive. The pews, eh. Not so much.

I had to hide from my coworkers when I saw the live videos, I was starting to cry for the architecture and the art and the history burning up, but if it’s true the firefighters saved most of it, the structure can be restored and the spire re-erected.

I regret not going in 2016 when I was there, I just ran out of time. UNESCO is pledging to help rebuild and I’m sure most countries, especially the more catholic leaning ones will give money. I’m sure the US will help too, as Notre Dame is part of our own WWII history.

That said, Frollo wasn’t kidding with his threat.

watzshakinbacon, krand1276 and Tokaji like this.
  12. CCofRR13

CCofRR13 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    115   0   0

Heartbreaking news. I'm glad I got to see it on two separate occasions.

13. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0

They'll definitely be able to rebuild, but that will take some time, and things like the stained glass will be lost forever. I believe those were all mostly original, which is incredible in and of itself. And now they're worried the towers might be compromised and the bells might fall, which would be even more tragic...

14. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    287   0   0

My heart hurts for the people of Paris right now. I am grateful that my sister and I were able to visit during our Paris trip last year.

15. xdattax

xdattax Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0

As long as they don’t get blown out and the lead doesn’t melt hopefully they’ll survive.

The one above the south rose window looks blown but I haven’t seen the big one broken yet. I hope they survive. Stained glass like that is a lost art.

Oh no, they’re afraid the bells will crash? That will be awful. I wish they could get cranes in there but they can barely get fire engines in. I know they were focusing efforts on the towers earlier. What news are you watching? BBC? CNN?

16. akarih

akarih Meme Lord

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I think the water damage will be extensive though

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tokaji likes this.
  17. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0

They stabilized the towers and the bells. I was watching NBC. And I've seen video of one of the rose glass windows with flames pouring out of it... :(

18. Connies_Hobby

Connies_Hobby SPREADING the DISNEY PIN MAGIC!!

Rating - 100%
    125   0   0

This is the first I've heard this terrible and tragic news.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

19. AshleyV

AshleyV Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0

Utterly heartbroken all day over this news. While it's reassuring to hear that they'll be able to rebuild it eventually, so much has already been lost. I feel grateful that I was able to see it twice in my lifetime, but my heart goes out to everyone in Paris right now.

20. unibear

unibear DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0

Going to watch "Hunchback of Notre Dame" now. So sad...

21. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0

Looks like both towers and the bells are safe. The inner vault (the stone ceiling) wasn't broken up too much, and it was mostly just the roof and the spire that burned up. At least one of the rose windows remains, they think, and at least one is destroyed. A lot of the relics made it out, as did much of the art. The fire is still going a bit, and they don't expect it to be completely out for a couple of days. Paris' mayor has been in the building and said the damage was less than they'd feared. Apparently the owner of Gucci has pledged 100M Euro to the reconstruction.

22. shooting4ownhand

shooting4ownhand Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    71   0   0

They were able to get the holy relics out. I’ve heard they were able to get all of the art out. They managed to save about 2/3 of the roof. That could change once they are able to fully access the damage. The main building is mostly unharmed. It will take a long time to rebuild but this is not the first time (nor the last time) Notre Dame will need massive repairs. The stain glass windows and parts of the roof were the only parts of the building that were still original. Between archival records and the 3D models created about 10 years ago by art historians, we will be able to restore Notre Dame.

Connies_Hobby, xdattax and coblj003 like this.
  23. akarih

akarih Meme Lord

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Nearly 500 million already pledged for rebuilding! Glad to see the world's love for an icon of France.

24. Connies_Hobby

Connies_Hobby SPREADING the DISNEY PIN MAGIC!!

Rating - 100%
    125   0   0

I just heard 700 M in world news tonight.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

shooting4ownhand and krand1276 like this.
  25. akarih

akarih Meme Lord

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Wow thats even better!

Connies_Hobby likes this.