• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

RAKed! Ok so the RAK needs to undergo some changes

How would you like to see the RAK

• Bimonthly (a new winner ever 2 months so 6 winners a year)

Votes: 17 45.9%
  • Quarterly (a new winner ever 3 months so 4 winners a year)

Votes: 19 51.4%
  • Leave it monthly

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
RAKed! Ok so the RAK needs to undergo some changes

Ksnuggles

Resident Cake Baker
Staff member
DPF Super Moderator
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Many of you know what the RAK is and participate regularly. However, in the last 6 months getting nominations has been difficult for various reasons. 1. People are busy and forget to send them in. 2. The list of winners is long so finding candidates has been challenging. So I am proposing a change and I would like community input on this.

First option... To have a bimonthly winner ( 6 winners a year) and with this option a winner will be eligible to win every 18 months.

Second option... To have a quarterly winner (4 winners a year) and with this option a winner will be eligible to win every 24 months.

Last option is leave it as a monthly (but months with no nominations will be skipped) and with this option a winner will be eligible to win every 36 months.

Please vote. So we can keep the RAK going. (Currently I still have the winner from January to send out due to many delayed packages getting to me because of rains and floods.)

Bimonthly is my vote :3
EDIT: Changed to quarterly, based on compelling arguments below!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
What's RAK?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

It stands for random act of kindness. Basically, someone is nominated every month (but we’re currently voting on this frequency in this thread) and everyone who participates sends zaps to that person. Ppl can be nominated for a variety of reasons but usually deserving because of their activity/ generosity/ attitude on DPF.

I believe there is a more official thread that describes it somewhere and it’s also the official sign up sheet to be involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I voted quarterly because, based upon the way things are going with RAK and people sending items, it seems like that would be the best option. It gives RAK givers more time to send their items in....and we all know that life just seems to get in the way of Disney

I feel that, ideally, the RAK victim receives a huge pile of LBEs from many members of the community. It seems that in recent RAKs that hasn’t been the case and they have only received a few. While certainly any gift pin is a wonderful thing, this definitely feels like a more the merrier situation. As you’ve observed, finding and sending out a gift every month can be overwhelming, thus the lower numbers. Moving it to bimonthly will certainly help. But it seems like the best way to impact the greatest change, and perhaps make it so most people can participate every time and make the RAK truly special, it to move to quarterly. IMO

P.S. And I realize going quarterly reduces the number of recipients, but with more recipients this becomes more of just a rotation through the membership rather than an extra special way of recognizing those individuals who have an extra special positive impact on the forum and our members’ live. Which IMO is more of how it should be used.

P.S. And I realize going quarterly reduces the number of recipients, but with more recipients this becomes more of just a rotation through the membership rather than an extra special way of recognizing those individuals who have an extra special positive impact on the forum and our members’ live. Which IMO is more of how it should be used.
I totally agree... but did you check the survey box at the top of the page... our view is behind. :)

I went quarterly as well. With bi-monthly, though slightly less regular than monthly, you still will probably run into the same issues as we have seen with monthly. Like @Ajk mentioned, RAKs used to consist of many members participating and now there are only a handful of LBEs that the RAK victim receives. Quarterly might ensure more participation.

On another note, I think there needs to be more transparency as to how a RAK victim is actually chosen. If one person nominates another, and there are no other nominations given, does that person win the RAK based on a single vote? The same way we are doing this vote we should have a more robust nomination process, as well as a more robust selection process with more participation than, potentially, a single person nominating what could potentially just be a friend who did something nice for that person. The point is that there is really no way for members to know how RAK victims are chosen in the current system. I certainly don't know and I'm sure others might not know the process either. That, to me, is another issue and potentially an equal concern than just moving from monthly to another time delineation.

I went quarterly as well. With bi-monthly, though slightly less regular than monthly, you still will probably run into the same issues as we have seen with monthly. Like @Ajk mentioned, RAKs used to consist of many members participating and now there are only a handful of LBEs that the RAK victim receives. Quarterly might ensure more participation.

On another note, I think there needs to be more transparency as to how a RAK victim is actually chosen. If one person nominates another, and there are no other nominations given, does that person win the RAK based on a single vote? The same way we are doing this vote we should have a more robust nomination process, as well as a more robust selection process with more participation than, potentially, a single person nominating what could potentially just be a friend who did something nice for that person. The point is that there is really no way for members to know how RAK victims are chosen in the current system. I certainly don't know and I'm sure others might not know the process either. That, to me, is another issue and potentially an equal concern than just moving from monthly to another time delineation.

If it's the same way it's been done before, RAK recipients are just nominated. Whoever receives the most nominations is the chosen recipient. It doesn't require an essay or anything major to nominate the RAK recipient.

It's really not that involved of a process, someone just has to nominate someone else on the forum, and since I've been involved I haven't seen any sort of bias towards a one off friend, it's all been earnest nominations based on things people do for the group, or maybe who's had some trying times in their life and is in need of a little extra pixie dust, or who is very giving and generous and who hasn't received before (Like some of the most recent ones were for Dawn and Connie, who do all the DLR pin pickups, and even Lucy, one of our forums zap queens). The list of winners has been posted if you want to check them out.
Maybe with the new setup if more people get involved, we can also include some sort of vote, or even just a "why are you nominating this person" sort of thing.

Last edited:
I changed my vote to quarterly, you guys all have very good points for why that may be a better option, also I'd love to see more forum members be able to participate, so if spreading them out further encourages more giving, I'm all for it
n9owLoQ.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back