• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

SOLD! OR TRADE: Custom Pin Display Boards!

Status
Not open for further replies.
SOLD! OR TRADE: Custom Pin Display Boards!
OMG! I don't even collect Thumper but after seeing your amazing pin boards (especially of him) I now want to start collecting him just so I can have an excuse to buy the board! And the Fox and the Hound...Simply adorable! And the Haunted Mansion board, that is astounding!

Do you have a picture of the back of any of the boards to show how they hang? And I know you said the material used to create them is similar to yard sale signs, but is there a weight capacity on the boards or the material? I only ask because a lot of my older pins seem weightier than newer ones and if (when :x:) I buy a board I want to make sure I don't accidentally ruin it.

Hee, thank you! :)

I should be able to get some photos up of the backs when I get home from work. I use screws and picture wire: the screws are screwed into the plastic with the wire wrapped around them, then the screw and wire ends are covered in hot glue, then the glue is covered with strapping tape. The backs don't look pretty, but they work. :)

I've never calculated the actual capacity of the boards, but I've never had a weight issue with mine. My largest is my Brave board, a 24" diameter circle. I usually hang my boards from a standard picture hook, as it's more secure than just a nail.

Here's my biggest board with pins on, in its current incarnation:
cMYneYiG7VZuaIvA-1uqiHezdbShVCQzIUTgjAjZ6So=w475-h472-no

That's a good amount of weight, and I've had no problems. I took this photo the other day after I took the board down, rearranged things to add my newest pins, and hung it back up (and then messed with the lanyard medallion a bit while it was on the wall; I'm still not quite happy with the placement of it).

Here are photos of the backs of a couple of boards:

Brave board (24" diameter circle):
CJbwoEN4yyEZBTkY1IfaSVMypb80WlIUSN99hxVf7G0=w535-h544-no

(There's extra strapping tape for structural integrity, because the circle had to be made out of two pieces.)

Alice in Wonderland board (18" x 24"):
KkTt4iNQy_p_efGah2Y2g_XjiQVbjOLXYysx9ef5H7A=w427-h544-no

Oh, wow, thanks for posting the pictures. That explains the hanging issue, LOL. I checked the weight of my Cheshire board (a simple 16x20 canvas) and it weighed almost eight pounds; lighter than I thought.

I'm not a Brave collector myself but I was browsing Disney symbols trying to find mouse ears when I came across this picture and thought of your design boards. :)

tumblr_static_2z3xnxepfx4wsok88o8coskgg_640_v2.png

That's a lovely picture! I could probably base a board on that, though I'd have to simplify the locks of hair.

Wow these are amazing Vixy! I wish I had the space and money to expand into pin collecting as well as dolls, maybe one day when I have got my own home!

sqeeeeeeee! I got my boards today! :tigger:(the "Mine" Seagull & black Mickey Icon - and also the Tiana flower). Can't wait to put my pins on them!

I'll post pictures with pins later on, pesky thing called work is going to keep me busy for a while first!

ok, as promised, picture of mickey icon board with mickey icon pins
(if anyone has mickey icon pins that I don't have to trade lmk and lets wee what we can work out!)
This board is huge! (there are currently 132 pins on it. wow, didn't know I have that many mickey heads.....)

So is the double layer Coroplast thick enough that you just stick the pins in without a rubber backing?
I'd love try to make one as an art project with my daughter. Just need to figure out a design them for Tinkerbell pins.

So is the double layer Coroplast thick enough that you just stick the pins in without a rubber backing?
I'd love try to make one as an art project with my daughter. Just need to figure out a design them for Tinkerbell pins.

Yep, that's what I do. A single layer is slightly too thin, they stick out the back (though it's fine for inside the cloth pages of my pin book). So I make sure that everywhere that's going to have pins is at least two layers.

(It means I have heaps and heaps of spare pin backs, of course.) :D

Lynn99, your icon collection is amazing, especially on the beautiful background! That is exactly the type of thing I'd expect to see as a display inside the Pin Trader's store at DTD or in one of the Main Street shops where Scoop hangs out. Thanks for sharing, I can't wait to see the other boards, too.

Once again, a beautiful board, Vixy. Well done. :bigthumb:

Hi Vixy,

I don't see pix of the Mansion you did for me. I will have to fill it up and get pix taken for you. It is amazing!!! Please lmk when it is my turn again. I still have several more ideas.

Hi Vixy,

I don't see pix of the Mansion you did for me. I will have to fill it up and get pix taken for you. It is amazing!!! Please lmk when it is my turn again. I still have several more ideas.

It's there! It's in the "shape based on 24" x 24"" section.

I was on a bit of a hiatus for WDW and recovering from WDW; am working on boards for Seanan now!

Have you had any issue with the pins falling out?
Are you gluing the 2 foam boards together?

I don't use foam; I use coraplast, which is corrugated plastic (like yard signs are often made of). I find it grips the pins really well; I use these boards for my own collections and I've never had any pins fall out.

Generally I make a base by gluing two coraplast layers glued together, then cover that with fabric. Then any pin-on-pin type details are pieces of coraplast covered with fabric and then glued on to the base. It's Tacky Glue/craft glue, so y'know, don't dunk the board in water. ;)

To secure the picture wire I wind it around screws+tacks, hot glue over the screws & tacks, and put strapping tape over the hot glue.

I don't use foam; I use coraplast, which is corrugated plastic (like yard signs are often made of). I find it grips the pins really well; I use these boards for my own collections and I've never had any pins fall out.

Generally I make a base by gluing two coraplast layers glued together, then cover that with fabric. Then any pin-on-pin type details are pieces of coraplast covered with fabric and then glued on to the base. It's Tacky Glue/craft glue, so y'know, don't dunk the board in water. ;)

To secure the picture wire I wind it around screws+tacks, hot glue over the screws & tacks, and put strapping tape over the hot glue.

That's so cool. They are awesome! I found Elmer's 3/8" foam board at Michael's which is 3/16" thick. It has a thin layer of cork on one side so should grip the pins really well.
Going to see how that works! Coroplast seems a bit hard to find!

I get my coraplast at a Seattle store called Display & Costume. The first time, I ordered it from Amazon; that might be cost-effective too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back