Organizing Trade Books and Pins for Trade

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by slbrabham, Mar 16, 2019 at 7:15 PM.

1. slbrabham

slbrabham Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0

I am interested in how people store their pins in their trade books. I am always in search of new ideas or an easier way. What works for you?

I plan to go to the Mouse Pin Trading Event in April, and I want to take a variety of pins. I have my book with cork in it for pins without cards. I've grouped the pins in one book by mystery sets, LE pins by edition size, event pins, AP/PP, and older princess pins. In my second book, I have it grouped by HMs (older or newerish), Parks, rides, OE characters, and a random page. I have a binder with some baseball card holder pages for pins on cards. It works great for the pins on cards that fit but some cards just don't fit.

What do you do with pins with oversized cards? What about the DS pin sets released recently? Are box sets worth bringing to trade?

Any thoughts?

2. ItzaPinfan

ItzaPinfan Noob

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0

For the cards that don’t fit snugly in the baseball cards, I’ll take some construction paper and cut it to the size of the baseball card slot, then I’ll pierce the construction paper with he pin w/ card and it will then fit snugly in the baseball card slot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slbrabham likes this.
  3. tiffychann

tiffychann Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

I recently bought the Pinfolio Pro Show. It’s basically like a backpack organizer. I bought it because carrying 2 binders was getting too overwhelming, so I like being able to wear my pins to carry them.

The backpacks come with “sheets” that are pretty sturdy and let you stick the pins on. I stick all my oversized card pins in there. It works like a 3 ring binder, so I still put in some of the plastic baseball card holders for the pins with smaller cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slbrabham likes this.
  4. slbrabham

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0

@ItzaPinfan
    @tiffychann

Thank you for the ideas. It's always interesting and informative learn how others organize their pins. :)

5. Ajk

Ajk Not so new anymore.

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0

I keep the backers separate from the pins. Yes, I then have to pull out the backed for the trade, but I fit more pins on each page that way. (I use the old Disney black pin bags.). I historically haven’t put cork or similar in the pages but that’s growing on me. I have two trader bags - one that’s LE and one that’s not. The LE bag is organized more around character/theme than size. (Stitch, ptd, Windows, etc.). The non-LEs are set up similarly except I put the LRs, CMs, etc at the back. That way when I am trading for HMs or similar I can say “anything but the last page”.
    Hope that helps.

slbrabham likes this.
  6. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    87   0   0

Based on advice I have received, experience, and observation... This is my set up.

Traders in 3 zip binders and 1 pin trading book (using the cork as you describe above). If there is a card, I always try to keep the pin on its card.

Binder Pages: coin or baseball type plastic sleeves. 6 different sizes of plastic sleeves. The sizes:
    • Ex-Small (25/page): 5 across, 5 down (fit most hidden mickeys perfectly)
    • Small (20/page): 4 across, 5 down (for variety of pins usually not on backer cards, but some loungefly pins fit on their cards)
    • Mid-Size 1 (9/page): 3 across, 3 down (thinner slots, double reinforced between slots, fit thinner pins with cards)
    • Mid-Size 2 (9/page): 3 across, 3 down (fatter slots, single reinforced between slots, fit fatter pins with cards)
    • Large (4/page): 2 across, 2 down (for those bigger cards... example DSSH large size backing cards.)
    • X-Large (2/page): 1 across, 2 down (example, fit 2018 DS mickey memory pin set on card)
    Pin Safety/Protection: In binders, every other page is flipped so pin face will be next to the next page pin face (and pin backs are facing pin backs). A piece of stiff felt is placed between each of the facing pages for protection of the pins. (Note: use felt which will hold its form.)

Organizing: Significant number of mystery pins from one set... probably will keep them together. There is a hidden mickey area. Otherwise, my pins are primarily now organized by character/movie/theme. I previously organized them by LE... but organized by LE made them harder to find while trading (sometimes was like looking for a needle in a haystack).

Big picture organization per binder: princess themed pins are in one binder, one binder is 'cute and cuddly' and the last one is a catch all (fab 5, AiW, etc). The pin bag has a lot of mystery pins and hidden mickeys and other pins primarily with no backing cards.

Box sets: These are tough. They take up so much space and I worry about damaging the box in transit, so do not really bring whole boxes to trading events. If the box set is already missing a pin or two... I actually cut up the backing, so each pin has its own 'card' (made from the original packaging.) The individual pin from the box set will then fit into trading binders/books. Note: I really need to know the whole set will never come back together to cut up packaging.

slbrabham and ItzaPinfan like this.
  7. slbrabham

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0

@Ajk and @TheMickeyMouseRules

Thank you for responses. I like hearing all the different ideas and how people organize their pins. I now need to find some of the plastic sleeves in different sizes. After that, I'm going to organize pins better.

Also, I'm making some identification cards for my bags. I have it in my in little Parks trader bag, but now I'm going to put it in all my bags.

TheMickeyMouseRules likes this.
  8. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    87   0   0

Amazon prime is my friend... have purchased all of the plastic sleeves and many of my zip binders on Amazon in bulk (box of 100 sheet packages... I use them for storage of my non-displayed collection - plastic sleeves and binders are much cheaper than shadow boxes). I have had decent luck with brand 'BCW' for the larger sheets (mid-size and up). I also have used the Ultra Pro brand and its okay too... but lean towards BCW. Would love to hear if you (or anyone else) have a preferred brand.

The ex-small and small sized sheets are usually made for coins, so heavier duty and pins work well with them and I have not noted a best brand for this one. The biggest 'bulk' of these I have found is 25 sheets in a package.

slbrabham likes this.