Pin buying advice for Disneyland (DLR)

Discussion in 'Disney Chat' started by K_Lynn13, Jul 27, 2018.

1. K_Lynn13

K_Lynn13 Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Hi all! I’m headed to Disneyland in August (yay!!), and saw that the August Donut Shop will be released one of the days I’m there (double yay!!). However, I’m an overthinker, so clearly I’m imagining thousands of people storming the park shops to buy this one Donut Shop pin. (Half of you are probably thinking, sister, you have no idea, and the other half are like, calm yourself).

Is there a particular shop I should hit first (like before I do a single thing)? Are new releases available at all the shops, or only a few select ones? Any advice is definitely greatly appreciated!

Disneychildwithin likes this.
  2. Addicted to Alice Pins

Addicted to Alice Pins My name is Ann, and I'm here to enable you!

Rating - 100%
    85   0   0

I don't think the Donut Shop makes people totally crazy (a la the Windows of Evil, ha ha ha). But hitting a pin store first thing eliminates your stress about whether you'll get what you want (and clears the rest of the day for doing the fun stuff).

I've been to DLR once, but we witnessed a release day (actually, it was the first time Windows of Evil got "nasty"). I can tell you that there is a Pin Traders outpost in Downtown Disney that people started lining up at while we were eating our breakfast. (We could see it from where we were sitting.) If you're an up-and-at-'em person, you could enter the parks that way and line up a ahead of opening to get "in and out," so to speak.

However, there are plenty of DLR regulars who could give you incredibly detailed/better advice. Just make sure you have fun!!!!

pincrazy and K_Lynn13 like this.
  3. Sami

Sami Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0

It really depends on the pin at DLR, sometimes they go super fast and sell out resort wide and sometimes they hang out for a week or so.

If you're not using a park hopper than you probably want to go to PinTraders or World Of Disney Store in Downtown Disney. If you're going straight into DLR you can usually get the new pins at WestwardHo in Frontier Land or from the 20th Century Music on Main Street Disney. If you're park hopping I would go to Katz in DCA, that's usually where I pick up most of my pins.

I always suggest getting there early either way, because its summer there is always a super long line just to get into DLR right now (that's why I usually go over to DCA first) depending on the day, the parks may open at different times which you can usually check out on the Disney Park Apps.

I wont really be surprised if the Cheshire Doughnut shop is somewhat popular and sells out a bit faster than some of the previous ones. I haven't seen any super crazy lines since the Windows releases though, just crazy summer lines to get into the parks.

They usually start letting people into the parks about 30mins early to get ready for RoapDrop. If you're going to Westward you'll most likely have to line up at RoapDrop, if you're going to 20th Century or Katz, those are on the Main Steet areas so there is no waiting for those after you get in. World of Disney Store opens before anything else and PinTraders usually opens when the park opens.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    pincrazy, timeerkat and K_Lynn13 like this.
  4. K_Lynn13

K_Lynn13 Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Thanks, Ann! (Fun fact: I spent my morning reading your thread about your bday trip to DLR - happy belated bday! I made notes for my trip, even though I’ve gone dozens of times, but hey, the donut tidbit is fantastic!). Good point on hitting the DTD store first, eliminate the stress. I’m not a morning person, but the time difference works in my favor...

5. K_Lynn13

K_Lynn13 Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Thank you! I’m an odd DLR person, I don’t usually visit DCA when I go to DLR. I’m sure I’m just doing it wrong, but I don’t find much there (other than the Radiator Springs ride). We’ll be there for the week, I’ll probably get the 5 day pass (and I know, it’s only $50 to add on that park hopper for the whole week), and that Thursday (pin release day), I’m probably going to the park by myself (my first time ever doing that) (but seems as if a ton of people do it), so it shouldn’t be a problem to get up and get over there (we’re staying within 1 mile). GREAT tip about World of Disney, I’ll hit it first. I’m excited about getting a pin at DLR on release day!

6. Sami

Sami Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0

Haha, yeah I go by myself a decent number of times for pin releases. I actually prefer DCA over DLR, I spend more of my time over there, I also find better pins CM trading on the DCA side, but I would guess it's a bit different when you go every other week, I think I would pass on DCA if I didnt have an AP. But, Pixar pier is opened! I didnt check out too much just went to one of the shops to pick up the LR TS/Cars mashup pins, they did have some super cute merch in the new stores.

K_Lynn13 likes this.
  7. K_Lynn13

K_Lynn13 Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

I can already hear the voice in my head as I pass the gates: you know, Sami said they have better CM trading over at DCA, and really cute merch in the new stores... Oy. I know myself so well. By the time I land at SNA, I’ll be all, what’s $50? (A chance at better CM pins, that’s what!)

Sami likes this.
  8. Sami

Sami Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0

Hahaha, are you sure it just wont be me standing on the other side yelling, "Why you no in here?!?!" *waves arms around*

[​IMG]

K_Lynn13 likes this.
  9. K_Lynn13

K_Lynn13 Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

HA!!! OMG I love that so much. I’ll totally be slow walking across that esplanade looking for waving arms...

Sami likes this.
  10. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    74   0   0

Many times, the Emporium on the corner of Main Street in DLR has the LE pins.

K_Lynn13 and Sami like this.
  11. Addicted to Alice Pins

Addicted to Alice Pins My name is Ann, and I'm here to enable you!

Rating - 100%
    85   0   0

I got TONS of fantastic tips for my trip from this bunch, ha ha. And you never know when someone will mention something (like the donuts!) that is new or that you never noticed before. :D

Time differences are a lifesaver at DLR! My BFF is NOT a morning person, but even he got moving in a timely fashion for park entry. (I'm going to be so disappointed when we're back at WDW this fall and I'm going, "Are you up yet? Are you up? Can you get READY already?!")

K_Lynn13 likes this.
  12. Ajk

Ajk Not so new anymore.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0

What what WHAT??!! Midway Mania! Guardians! Soarin'! Little Mermaid! Monsters Inc!

13. K_Lynn13

K_Lynn13 Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Ooh! Good to know. I never really shopped the shops (somewhere in TX my mother is gasping), I’ll need to map all these shops. I know not where most are (to me the Main Street shops are basically one long shop on each side). Thank you!

14. K_Lynn13

K_Lynn13 Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

HA! *two inches from his face* ARE YOU AWAKE YET??!! Fun fact part 2: My first/only trip to WDW was for my 40th bday! It was fun, but I’m a DLR girl. Planning a bday trip this January for my *gulp* 50th. Nothing like breathing Disney air on a bday...

Sami likes this.
  15. K_Lynn13

K_Lynn13 Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

I KNOW!! Well, not really, I don’t know any of those things. I think I’ve been to DCA twice since it opened. I get motion sick pretty darn easy (last year I got so sick on Space Mtn (what was I thinking?) that First Aid and security rescued me, it sucked big time, but I got to drive around behind the scenes, so that was cool) (now you know all of my business).

So tell me all the DCA things I must do, if I can’t really do big/spinny/motiony rides: what’s a don’t miss way over in that park? @Sami convinced me I must go there (yes, casually mentioning it in a single post is all it takes to convince me). Where are these Monsters you speak of?

16. Ajk

Ajk Not so new anymore.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0

First, have you tried SeaBands? They do wonders for motion sickness. My family swears by them.

If you still can't do motion with them, most of the items I listed are out for you, but here are thoughts:

1. Midway Mania is friggin awesome and I also ride it multiple times. I believe if you tell them your situation they can put you on a cart that doesn't spin and, if so, it should be very manageable.
    2. Guardians doesn't have any spinning or looping or such. But it does have a ton of straight up and straight down very fast. It's more of a fast drop/out of the seat sort of thing. Not sure how that impacts you. If you are fine with that sort of motion, you will want to do this multiple times as well.
    3. Soarin' is very mild. Unlikely to be a problem for you. You'll want to go on it a couple of times. (Seeing a trend here?)
    4. Little Mermaid. No issue.
    5. Monsters Inc. No issue.

K_Lynn13 likes this.
  17. Connies_Hobby

Connies_Hobby SPREADING the DISNEY PIN MAGIC!!

Rating - 100%
    100   0   0

You should not have any problem.

Just make your purchase first thing the morning of the release. :):)

K_Lynn13 likes this.
  18. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0

I love DCA... (probably mostly since it is the less crowded Park.) I can get motion sick on twirly rides, but do okay otherwise.
    - I absolutely love Soarin' over the World.
    - The midway mania/toy story ride is so much fun (much better than astro blasters in DL park).
    - Goofy's sky school is a mild roller coaster if you could do mild at all.
    - the ferris wheel has a non-swinging option... so if heights are okay this ride can be pretty tame (make sure you get in the correct line).
    - My daughter also loves (and I enjoy it too) the animation area and we always attend multiple drawing classes.
    - Guardians is the re-imaged tower of terror ride and this one is so much fun, but if quick drops are an issue... avoid it.
    - There is usually a pretty good show (musical) at the Hyperion theater and it gets you out of the heat, so a good mid-day break.
    - There is also a lovely walk from the 4 way in cars land to the main park food court (where the Ghirardelli ice cream/chocolate shop is). We have taken some great family picture along that walk.

19. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Cheshirefied DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    91   0   0

Marvel Marvel MARVEL!

And I don't mean the ride! :)

Go meet all the Marvel characters - whoever happens to be out during your visit. They are fantastic to interact with!

Plus make sure to see the Guardians of the Galaxy Awesome Dance Off! which is currently my fave show in the park - it's funny and fun plus has great music!

I'd also recommend seeing the News Boys, Five & Dime, and the Pixarmonic Orchestra shows.

Personal opinion I think the Frozen show at the Hyperion is endlessly dull - even though the cast can be great - so I advise to skip that unless you're a Frozen fan or are in desperate need of an hour's worth of AC with no break. Seriously - I'd rather sit through the Disney Jr show than Frozen. (But equally seriously - don't do Disney Jr unless you have a toddler in tow. Lol That one is not for the grown ups!)

20. bookhugger

bookhugger I love books!

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Get the park hopper for the extra $50 and Max Pass each day for an extra $10/day. You'll be happy you did. You can get fast passes from your phone without having to walk all the way to the ride!

K_Lynn13 likes this.
  21. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    74   0   0

If you get sick on the rides that show videos (ie Star Tours), you might want to avoid Soarin'. I used to be able to
    do it and I can't anymore. The joys of getting older.

K_Lynn13 likes this.
  22. Ajk

Ajk Not so new anymore.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0

:( Have you tried Seabands?

23. K_Lynn13

K_Lynn13 Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Definitely on the SeaBands (got a pair in my bag and one in the car), and Drammamine is my go-to. It’s an inner thing I’ve had all my life, but sometimes I push it and then regret it (when did Space Mtn get totally dark inside? I remember you used to be able to see the track, barely, but still).

I shall research this list of rides and see if I can get a couple to work for me. I appreciate the list!

24. K_Lynn13

K_Lynn13 Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Thank you - it’ll be my first thing!!

25. K_Lynn13

K_Lynn13 Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

I truly have only been there like twice, so it’s strange to hear about all these rides I’ve never really heard of. The only ones I really remember are the Cars/Radiator Springs and Grizzly Peak. Oh, and that Tower Terror ride - that’s CRAZY!! I’m going to lookup that animation area and Ghirardelli shop — totally my speed. (And great tip about the non-swinging option, I didn’t know that!). Thank you!!

TheMickeyMouseRules likes this.