Pinopolis in Vegas

Discussion in 'Pin Trading Gatherings' started by Lisa Lopez, May 21, 2018.

1. Lisa Lopez

Lisa Lopez Pinpics ID lisarallen2

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

Has anybody attended a Pinopolis pin event? Is it worth flight and hotel stay? I don’t have a huge grail selection of pins to take with me, so will it not be fun for someone like me? I am considering trying to attend the one coming up in Vegas. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Lisa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    508   0   0

It depends on where you are flying from.

3. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    508   0   0

But, I attended the King Pin/Pinopolis event that was a one-night event for $50 for a table and I think it was worth it to have a place to sit and to get 4 trading board tickets (2 with PinPics, 2 with King Pins).

Connies_Hobby likes this.
  4. Lisa Lopez

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

I’d be coming from central CA. Flight would be about $300 for 2 people (after fees for every little thing) and hotel about $300 if we stay until Monday to enjoy other things than pin trading, since my husband is not a collector/trader. Tables are $100, so I wasn’t planning to get one. Maybe pay $20 for early entry.

5. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    66   0   0

In 2016 I attended their Pincon (after the WDW Pixar Party) and one night of the 2017 pinopolis event at Love is an Adventure (LIAA) last August.

In 2017, I bought the $50 table primarily to get 2 trades with the Acme/Hotart boards. For the first trade I pulled a pin worth $50 off the board, so that part worked out very well. As far as other trades... nothing too spectacular... I made a few other OE trades with other attendees and made some progress on some star wars mystery sets I was trying to complete. I didn't make any progress on grail trades and the pin I pulled off the Acme board was not one I wanted, so still trying to trade it for something I do want.

Summary: Both Acme/Hotart events I attended were disorganized and confusing, but I do believe there is value in the events... It does sound like Acme/Hotart might be improving organization at their events... based on what Starry_solo described from the March event. So perhaps Vegas will be much better?

If I can work it out to attend Vegas... I might invest in a table, will have to do the math and see if $100 is worth it (at first glance it seems a bit high) for what you might gain in pin trades. The Vegas lanyard trading for LE 200 pins sounds very interesting and could be a lot of fun... will need to get some of those $10 or less traders...

6. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    111   0   0

I haven’t been but I’m def interested in going (esp after hearing about @TheMickeyMouseRules board Pin trades!)

I’m debating if I should go for the whole time or just one day with @timeerkat

7. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    246   0   0

At this point I'm thinking of just driving in from So Cal (a few hours both ways, but I don't mind a few hours of drive time; I used to have to drive from LA to San Jose multiple times a year before my parents moved and I'm regularly in my car for over an hour at a time for work, so a few hours won't be that bad) to attend Saturday. It seems as if anyone who goes will be eligible to trade on the lanyards, so if I do go I plan on just buying a few trader pins in case they do LE200s in something I collect.

I find the larger ACME pins to not be *great* traders, and the only one that they've come out with that fits in any of my collections is the Lion King one, so their trade boards don't really interest me. I'll skip getting a table since it seems as if most of the value from that is board trading tabs.

Connies_Hobby likes this.
  8. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    508   0   0

Not worth it to pay $20 for early entry. Better to save your money. Besides the $20 for early entry is only for one day so that would be $80 for two people to go over two days.

I think I might have done a write-up of the Anaheim event, but if not, I'll do one.

9. Lisa Lopez

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

Definitely let me know if you find one you did, or if you do one - I’d love to read about it. I’m trying to figure out things like:

Should I buy some pins from Pinopolis before I go?

Would I miss out on anything major by not having a table?

Do I only have the option to trade off the lanyards, if I only utilize the free entry? I understand there are boards for trading, too, but wasn’t sure if I’d be excluded if I don’t have a table.

Are the pin games fun? Should I sign up for a beginner table and how many pins would I need to buy to get started?

Can I trade any other pins (than pinopolis pins) for the pins on the lanyards and boards?

My husband won’t go to the event - he’d be bored stiff - so any entries, etc. would be just for me

10. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    246   0   0

I've never done the pin game so I have no idea how that works or how fun it is. But the trade event site does say that the boards are for tableholders, so I would assume that you can only do board trading if you have a table. It seems as if the free option gives you access to the lanyard trading and trading with other guests but nothing else.

As far as lanyard trading, it doesn't say specifically one way or the other, but the assumption is that you are limited to what you can trade for the lanyard pins, since they are selling specific traders for them. I would guess they want to keep them to ACME/pinopolis pins.

I personally will wait until I get to the event before I buy anything for the lanyard trading, since I don't have the full information of the process and don't want to spend money getting pins that may not work anyway.

11. bookhugger

bookhugger I love books!

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

12. TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
    66   0   0

I believe a description of Starry_solo's experience in March is in Post #23:
    2018 Anaheim Golden Magic PTE: March 24, 2018 - What did you get?

Lanyards... per info on website: "Enthusiasts can trade their Pinopolis pins up to 2 times per color lanyard, per set, for a total of 10 swaps!" A pinopolis pin has a number stamped on the back. Picture below. (The numbers are random and it just is coincidence that mine are sequential... I believe the number could be anywhere from 1 to over 1000. The numbers are used in the pinopolis game.)

For the boards... I did not see any other way to trade with the boards other than for those with a table.) At the event last year (WDW in August) you had to trade an LE pin to the board, but rules could change...

I have tried pinopolis (the game)… it was not for me, but others seem to enjoy it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    Lisa Lopez likes this.
  13. TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
    66   0   0

Question...
    The description of the event implies it is trade and sell on July 7 and Pinopolis game on July 8. If this is an accurate description, I would likely only do July 7... since I don't play Pinopolis. But anyone else reading this differently?
    [​IMG]
    Sorry late edit... found this info on the website (states trading Saturday and Sunday):
    "
    HotArt Lanyard Trading will be the hottest game in town!
    Pin masters will be on the trading floor throughout the day with 5 new ACME/HotArt LE200 Pins randomly on five different color lanyards.

Enthusiasts can trade their Pinopolis pins up to 2 times per color lanyard, per set, for a total of 10 swaps! For your convenience we will have

traders available for under $10 at the event. These awesome pins can only be traded for, they will never be offered for direct sale!

The Pin masters will have as many unique, highly desirable LE 200 designs as you can trade for! We will start with the first 5 and once those

future grails are gone it will FLIP, and bam the next set of 5 designs are there to dazzle! You will FLIP over the fun!

Trading all day Saturday and Sunday"

Lisa Lopez likes this.
  14. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    508   0   0

Should I buy some pins from Pinopolis before I go?
    No.

Would I miss out on anything major by not having a table?

The trading pin boards.

Do I only have the option to trade off the lanyards, if I only utilize the free entry? I understand there are boards for trading, too, but wasn’t sure if I’d be excluded if I don’t have a table.

Yes, you would only have the option to trade off the lanyard and you would have to trade a Pinopolis pin for a pinopolis pin. Since their information says you can get pins for $10 and under there, I would wait.

Are the pin games fun? Should I sign up for a beginner table and how many pins would I need to buy to get started?

They are OK. If it's free, yes. If not, then no. You would have to have 15 pins to start with.

Can I trade any other pins (than pinopolis pins) for the pins on the lanyards and boards?

Nope. If it's like what they did for the lanyards at the latest event at the comic book store in Fullerton, you could only trade Pinopolis for Pinopolis. At the comic book store in Fullerton (it was on a Sunday afternoon), you also had to match LE for LE and LR for LR. So you couldn't use a LR to trade for a LE.

To expand on my review, I would say that the Anaheim Golden Magic event was very disorganized. As I mentioned, sis and @Connies_Hobby volunteered for the registration. We got there at about 430 pm-ish (give or take 15 minutes) and Connie was already there. Lisa (Lenny's wife) was surprised to see us there so early, which was weird, since sis was signed up for registration and obviously would need to be there at least an hour before the first tables "started" (VIP tables were from 6-9 pm and premium tables were from 6-11 pm). There were also two kids helping out with registration and then there was a couple set up with King Pins (FB group) to hand out raffle tickets and trading board tickets (for the Kings Pins boards, which were separate from the PinPics boards).

When the trading boards began, it was hard to hear them calling out the color of the tickets. Likewise, when PinPics was calling names of guests (who bought tables) to come to their trading boards (where I got the LE100 Bambi and the LE300 or LR Thor), they could barely be heard. I heard the first time they called sis' name, but not the second and a PinPics person who I had met earlier walked over to my table to get me. They really need a portable speaker system of some kind if the hotel doesn't offer one.

Hopefully the Vegas hotel is nicer and has a PA system set up.

Lisa Lopez likes this.
  15. Lisa Lopez

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

Thanks for all the info. I checked out the site, but initially missed several key details. If I go, it doesn’t seem worth it for me to pay $100 for a table, just so I could trade off the board (if it was unlimited and they continued to backfill with awesome pins, then maybe). All my pins for trading fit in 1 book, and I’m not selling, so I don’t think I need a table. I am afraid I’ll essentially get ignored by other traders since I don’t have a stack of profiles or LE DSSH pins to trade. It may just be an excuse to go to Vegas :)

watzshakinbacon and starry_solo like this.
  16. watzshakinbacon

Rating - 100%
    111   0   0

I haven't been to a PinPics event, but I went to the annual Orlando event last year. I thought people would only want those WDI/ DSF pins, but I was able to make quite a few trades for OE/ LR pins. In fact, I don't think I brought enough OE/LR pins so my friend let me borrow some. Maybe it'll be the same in Vegas?

17. TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
    66   0   0

Agreed, every event is different. I have only been to one event where I felt like my traders were just not good enough. At most of the events I have attended... I make a variety of nice trades.

starry_solo likes this.
  18. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    508   0   0

One thing to note though, since Vegas is pretty close to Southern California, expect to come across a lot of So Cal peeps.

DeputyDonald likes this.
  19. TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
    66   0   0

Question: with all the order problems (delays and cancellations) can we really count on this LE 200 lanyard trading? I just wonder if I make the effort to get to Las Vegas with lanyard trading as one of my primary goals, if I will be disappointed... Seems like Acme/Hotart is good at promising and not coming through with the pins.

KT07 likes this.
  20. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    246   0   0

They seem to be pushing the lanyard trading pretty darn hard for it to still be uncertain. It's the huge main thing about this event they are advertising, so they would be REALLY stupid to hinge the main draw of the event on an uncertainty. I do agree that ACME has been really inconsistent with preorders and delivery, and suspicion is not unfounded. But I'm leaning towards the lanyard trading actually happening. I'm choosing to not stock up beforehand though, and purchase my trader pins at the event.

21. TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
    66   0   0

Leaving as little to chance as possible... here is a question and the answer received from Pinopolis Marketing (PM):

Question (me): for the lanyard trading. Do you already have the LE 200 pins in hand for the lanyard trading? (ie, is there any possibility of lanyard trading being cancelled due to pins not being available?)
    Answer (PM): Lanyard trading will definitely happen! We will be posting pictures of the actual pins in the weeks to come. We have traders from all over the world attending!

The question was not really answered... do they have the LE 200 pins in hand?... but they are making promises... Sigh... do I take the chance. I really want to...

PM also provided this info about lanyard traders: "You can purchase [traders] ahead of time or pick up traders at the event, should you need them. ANY pinopolis pins will work as long as it has the game numbers in the back."

22. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    508   0   0

@TheMickeyMouseRules : wait to purchase them at the event. They don't have $10 (or less) traders in their shop.
    @timeerkat : sis & I are actually considering going to the event. Just the Saturday. If we went, we would spend the night and then drive back the next morning about 9/10 a.m., before traffic

watzshakinbacon and timeerkat like this.
  23. watzshakinbacon

Rating - 100%
    111   0   0

All this acme uncertainty is def making me kinda nervous about going to the event and not getting s chance for those Le 200 pins. Still thinking about it ..

24. TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
    66   0   0

True, wait to purchase makes total sense... but if one of the primary reasons to attend is to obtain LE 200 pins, buying or not buying traders is not really the issue.

There is also the investment of airfare/hotel/etc. to get there and if you make all of that effort and take on that cost only to have your hopes up for the fun you will have... it will suck when it goes down the toilet because this company cannot keep its promises.

25. slbrabham

slbrabham Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0

I am trying to decide if I want to go, as well. I would like to think that the LE 200 pins will be available. On another post, someone mentioned that the Pin Masters at the last trade event had AP pins on their lanyards for trade. Hopefully, the pins or something comparable will be available for trade.

TheMickeyMouseRules likes this.