• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

PINventory

Status
Not open for further replies.
PINventory

kriscar

DPF Charter Member
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Well, I've had a frustrating week of pin trading. I got several trade requests thru the PinPics TA only to find out I didnt' have the pin that I said I did on my traders.

So, it was time for an "audit" on my inventory. I found 33 (!) pins that I hadn't logged on pinpics at all. 11 pins that I must have traded away. 3 pins that I haven't logged b/c I can't find on pinpics. 1 pin that I have misplaced...I refuse to say lost just yet. It was this pin that I LOVE SO MUCH...
I have to find it!!

Obviously, I'm not doing a very good job keeping track of my pins on pin pics. :sad:
I know what my problem is. It's the timing of moving pins I have bought, traded for, traded away. When I agree to a trade, do I take it of the traders right then, after I send it out, only after I get the "trade for" pin back? Do I add my "traded for" pin right away and take off my wants list? Or do I wait until I get the pin in my hand?

It seems that I can't decide and do it different every time! Then things get passed thru the cracks because I think I've already done it. Argh. I'm going to vow to stay consistent. How do you manage your pins? When do you take off traders, wants, collection?

I know not everyone keeps track of their whole collection on pinpics, which is fine. I just really like having at all there...and want some advice to do this better.

Hey, Kris;

Once my trader is packed in it's LBE, i remove it from my pinpics list. I don't delete the email until I have received a pin back; moved it from my "wants" list to my "owns" list; and have the reference posted.

Hope that helps.

I do similar to what has been mentioned. Before I "accept" a trade, I go to my traders and verify that I have the pin and that it is in good condition. When I have received the other trader's address I print off a record of the trade, go get the pin, and remove it from my trade list. I don't remove pins from my wants list until I physically have the pin in hand. Unfortunately, things happen and the pin never comes. I will update my Pinpics when I am unwrapping the pin. With it still on my wants list, it makes it easier to find, since my wants list is manageable.

But I also recently audited my pin collection. I have a large collection 5000+ pins, so it took most of a month to do. When I was done, I had over 100 pins that weren't on my owns list, and I found a dozen or so pins that I have never owned on my list. And another dozen or so pins that I had owned at one time, but decided to trade, probably traded at an Epcot pin event and never removed from my owns list. If you look at the URL of a Pinpics trade, sometimes you will notice an act=atw, act=adw, etc at the end of the URL. This is the the part that adds or removes the item from your list. Sometimes, people grab that URL to put in a post and when you click on it, it will add or delete from YOUR lists. So this makes it looks like "gremlins" got on your list and messed it up.

And unfortunately, I too, ended up with one pin that I can't find for the life of me. I don't know if I assumed I had it when I got the rest of the set, or if I've just lost it somewhere. Unfortunately, I don't think it will be that easy to replace, because there are a lot of C&D collectors who want it too.
pin2523

Hey, Kris;

Once my trader is packed in it's LBE, i remove it from my pinpics list. I don't delete the email until I have received a pin back; moved it from my "wants" list to my "owns" list; and have the reference posted.

Hope that helps.

+1 although sometimes I miss a pin or two, but I do try to audit my whole list when a TA comes in (since it is fairly infrequent)

Hey, Kris;

Hope that helps.

That's exactly what I do. Then if I notice the email is still there I can determine if the pin hasn't arrived or if I just haven't left a reference yet!

Well when I agree to a trade and we have exchanged shipping info I take my pin off my traders and add the pin I am getting then onto my dry erase board (which I use to keep track of my trades) so far this has worked for me then I audit my collection about once a month

Thanks everyone for the advice! I just know I am going to do better going forward :)

If you look at the URL of a Pinpics trade, sometimes you will notice an act=atw, act=adw, etc at the end of the URL. This is the the part that adds or removes the item from your list. Sometimes, people grab that URL to put in a post and when you click on it, it will add or delete from YOUR lists. So this makes it looks like "gremlins" got on your list and messed it up.

Hopemax, thank you so much for this info! I have noticed some odd ones on my wants list every once in a while! I had no idea this was the cause. I went to the Holy Grail thread and noticed a link with these letters at the end. Will have to pay more attention going forward!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back