• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Possible Nautilus fakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possible Nautilus fakes?

YoSoyAhPuch

hello
DPF Charter Member
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I'm just curious to see if anyone can help me with this. A few months ago, I traded for this pin:

pin83269

Pin 83269: DLR - Sci-Fi Academy - Framed Set - Commander Mickey's Sci-Fi Adventures - Nautilus Only

I was super excited to get this pin, especially since it came from a framed set. But then I started noticing something rather odd. I hadn't seen this pin on eBay very much, but I began to see more and more of them on eBay. Then last week, I saw one on a cast hip lanyard. It's pretty rare to find an LE 250 frame set pin on a cast lanyard. At least, I've never seen it. There are no warnings on PinPics about possible scrappers/fakes, and I don't want to be one of those people who comments on a pin saying that there are fakes without any hard evidence. I'm hoping someone else out there has this pin. I'd like to compare it to the one I have:

null_zps1b95dd4d.jpg

null_zpsea632c14.jpg

The lighting gives the pin a more copper look, but in person it has the same coloring as the pin on PinPics. I noticed that the Mickey backing doesn't reach to the edge of the pin, but as we've seen with other pins (especially those from DSF), this is not an indicator of a fake pin. If it does turn out to be a fake, oh well. It is still a great looking pin and I'm glad to have it in my possession.

Thanks!

- Alex

Last edited:
hey Alex,

i saw this too, and as an avid, 20000 leagues collector I was worried, yes the trades ration on this pin is very low, as for it being sold out becuase of overstock I highly doubt it , that pin was sold out at initial offering<as are most 20000 LUS pins> I do believe its a copy becuase of the backing mickey heads, however I would love to see a pic of someones actual pin, the MIC box and the OPT boxes also look alittle fuzzy to me, as if they were duplicates,maybe its your camera work, maybe its the pin itself, hard to tell without at magnifing glass<god being old is the pits>

Also something doesnt quite look right about the post on this pin, maybe its me, but disney doesnt usually have exposed post bases?

Great pin !!!!!!!!

I think it is safe to conclude that this pin has been faked. There are currently 4 of these on eBay, which is surprising for a framed set LE 250 pin.

There's one up for sale over in the sales thread here on DPF. Perhaps you could ask that user for pictures of theirs to compare to?

I have to say, comparing it to the pinpics image, I notice that the propeller-y bit on the bottom right of yours looks different, with the blades looking clearer and the circular rim being much thinner. It's quite hard to spot but I think once you notice it, you'll see it is quite a difference. I'm afraid I'd probably concur with your conclusion that it is likely to be a fake. I'm sorry, but at least is still an awesome looking pin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back