• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Question about new Auction Forum Rules

Question about new Auction Forum Rules

broncobilly83

Scrooge McDuck's #1 Nickel
DPF Correspondent
Rating - 100%
297   0   0
I had an auction going recently that was started before rules were posted, and someone pointed out the new rules from this morning and the following rule:

The OP recognizes that they are putting a pin up for bid, and they may not necessarily get the offers that they are looking for. While it is encouraged to lead bidders in a direction of style pin you are looking for, reserves are prohibited. A pin put up for auction must be traded to one of the offers made at the specified end date.

I have since ended the auction as the specific pin I had up was getting little attention and I was not going to let it go for say a Hidden Mickey, etc.

I guess I am confused by as people still have auctions with reserves, but the main thought of this post is "Should reserves be allowed?"

With more DPFers joining the auction mindset, more and more threads are going to be created and less focus will be on any specific thread, compared to when Goofy_Moe started theirs and it was the only one. So people will be trying to bump, etc, and some auctions may go by the wayside with little attention. That being said, every auction site, as well as actual auction houses, do allow for reserves to be in place, based off of different factors. I saw on TV one auction that would not sell unless it hit the $2 million mark.

I know I was trying to use the auctions not to get "wants" per se for any pin I offered up for auction, but for people to offer me new ideas to expand my collecting, but if I am offering a pin I have so much invested in, I do not want it to be traded for a rack pin I can buy off of DS.com, etc. If I just wanted cash value, I would just try selling it. But a lot of times, people do not think (me being one as well) to offer a trade outside of the normal trade/wants lists because that is not how the system works

IMO, I think there should be reserves if the auctioneer wants it; Just my $.02

I support the Managements choice,

a pin is only as valuable as the person that WANTS it feels it is,
you can have a Le 1 solid gold pin for trade or auction and think its the cats meow with chips and a side of quacomole',
but if I dont want it or like it, it aint worth squat to me, so as always a pins value is in the eyes of the traders,

If you dont want to take the chance of not getting what you want for a pin,

trade it dont auction it!!!!

another side of the coin heard from!!!

happy hunting

SO I guess we could post a trading thread in the regular trade section and just put one certain pin a week in there...lol

This way it is not called an "auction" and it is not in the auction section so if we don't want to trade it we don't HAVE to. It would still showcase that one pin though as I like the idea of being able to do that. It is fun to see what trades you can work out that you might have overlooked any other time. :)

:lol::lol::lol:

Honestly, I think people are going to take advantage of this "no reserve" rule and low ball people to get their pins bc maybe that listing it getting overlooked. There are a lot of auctions out there after all and the section is very fast moving. I think people are going to be loosing pins for a whole lot less than they want to and people are going to get some really good pins for next to nothing. ;)

Last edited:
+1 for lucan444 as that is what I've been saying all along. Let the auctions posted before the rules update remain the same, but new auctions should clearly follow the rules. Bill I mentioned on the other thread that you can say you are trading your pin and are open to offers for pin(s) not on your wants. Hopefully that helps.

+1 for lucan444 as that is what I've been saying all along. Let the auctions posted before the rules update remain the same, but new auctions should clearly follow the rules. Bill I mentioned on the other thread that you can say you are trading your pin and are open to offers for pin(s) not on your wants. Hopefully that helps.

You know, I would have kept the auction going had someone not posted that specific rule in my auction, when they did not do that on any other auction. I do not understand why my auction got singled out for that post.

While people might sometimes offer pins outside of a wants list for a trade; trading implies, just based on the nature of the hobby and the tools at our disposal, i.e. PinPics, "I have these for trade, I want these pins". A forum opens it up a little, but most people are still inside the standard trading formula box. I admit I am guilty of that too 9 times out of 10. The auction opens up a world of possibilities to think outside the box by seeing what others might offer as well as makes you think more outside the box than a standard trade. I have plenty of pins on your wants list, offer me something you think I might want that is not on my wants list, LOL. It is not as easy as one thinks.

If all someone is going to offer is Hidden Mickeys, Rack Pins, etc, as bids; then that is all people are soon going to auction. IMO, there needs to be "seller protection" where someone offering an AP, LE100, LE50, LE250, i.e a pin they deem valuable for one reason or another; can say things like No Hidden Mickeys, pins offered must be a semi reasonable bid, etc. In a trade, you can say no thank you. These rules prevent No Thank You.

Last edited:
I support the Managements choice,

a pin is only as valuable as the person that WANTS it feels it is,
you can have a Le 1 solid gold pin for trade or auction and think its the cats meow with chips and a side of quacomole',
but if I dont want it or like it, it aint worth squat to me, so as always a pins value is in the eyes of the traders,

If you dont want to take the chance of not getting what you want for a pin,

trade it dont auction it!!!!

another side of the coin heard from!!!

happy hunting

I believe the exact opposite... I believe the value of the pin is with the owner of that pin. The reason is simple... you can not get that pin unless you are willing to meet the person with the pins desires. You can offer less all you want but if the person with the pin values it higher you aren't going to get it no matter how bad you want it. At the end of the day the owner of the pin has the power NOT the person wanting it. I agree with Broncobilly83 on this one. The person with the pin should be able to put in a clause that they can end the auction at their discretion if need be. It is their pin and they should not have to "risk" it due to lack of bids. If every pin that is put up for auction is "at risk" you are going to see A LOT less high end pins being offered. Even on PinPics you can choose if you want to accept a trade offer, you are not obligated because you decided you were willing to trade a pin and put it on your trades list. I love that people are willing to put up some grails for auction. If they have to "risk" them they will simply stop putting them up. This is a new idea (in my opinion a GREAT idea) but I would rather give the owner an "out" than lose the option of being able to bid on one of my grail pins all together.

Last edited:
I believe the exact opposite... I believe the value of the pin is in the owner of that pin. The reason is simple... you can not get that pin unless you are willing to meet the person with the pins desires. You can offer less all you want but if the person with the pin values it higher you aren't going to get it no matter how bad you want it. At the end of the day the owner of the pin has the power NOT the person wanting it. I agree with Broncobilly83 on this one. The person with the pin should be able to put in a clause that they can end the auction at their discretion if need be. It is their pin and they should not have to "risk" it due to lack of bids. If every pin that is put up for auction is "at risk" you are going to see A LOT less high end pins being offered. Even on PinPics you can choose if you want to accept a trade offer, you are not obligated because you decided you were willing to trade a pin and put it on your trades list. I love that people are willing to put up some grails for auction. If they have to "risk" them they will simply stop putting them up. This is a new idea (in my opinion a GREAT idea) but I would rather give the owner an "out" than lose the option of being able to bid on one of my grail pins all together.

Totally agree with this!. How many people here really have that many grail pins lying around to take that chance with? No way I am risking my hardest to get pins...lol

I have been considering putting a frame set, that I am the only one trading, up for auction. I will not even think about it if I can not cancel because I am unable to get the value out of it. It is actually a part of Disney history. I would have to ship it so getting at least value for it would be of the utmost. I love it but I have never hung it so it is still in the box and thought maybe someone here would really appreciate it. I guess I will never know... *sigh

pin10638

Last edited:
Thanks Judy and Caroline.

I thought of another thing regarding the auctions. Even on the Bay one can pick the starting bid and is not required to put things at .01. It is a way to protect the seller. One should be able to put a minimum on the auction or be able to cancel, JMHO.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, we're exploring options regarding reserves.

Since trade auctions are a fairly new thing for the trading community, we're really working on discussing every angle and making a reasonable decision on how to make reserves work for everyone's best interest. We'll keep everyone updated! :)

thanks!

+1 for lucan444 as that is what I've been saying all along. Let the auctions posted before the rules update remain the same, but new auctions should clearly follow the rules.

this is how I have decided to rule on this -- auctions dated/posted before the day rules were posted will remain as they were. New auctions on the day-of and any days after rules were posted, will abide by the new rules.

In short, the rules are not retroactive.

Are you still looking into reserves?
At this point, we have not yet made a decision, however, I can say that reserves will be allowed. We're just trying to sort out _how_ and to what extent we will allow them, to ensure most will be happy (can't please everybody! but we're trying...)

at this point in time, however, the current rules stay. Which means no reserves at this point until we make an announcement regarding them, and change the auction house forum rules accordingly.

It just seems like having a reserve on a auction makes it look like your fishing for the best trade possible (or even seeing who will over trade for it). If you know what you want for it, offer it up for trade. Than you can say no all day long. $0.02

First, one can not accept more than one is willing to offer regardless of how much that is. Second, there is a big difference between trying to get the best trade and wanting to ensure you get the value of the pin in trade. I have seen many auctions go for not necessarily what I would have taken out of the offers given but it was the best offer to the person offering the pin(s). The person that has the pin is going to trade for what they like the best.

The auction format does two things
1. It offers a person who no longer wants their pin to reach a larger group to trade with
2. It offers the person wanting the pin to offer more pins at once than you would be able to on PinPics.

It is simply a way to trade and makes both the sender and the receiver happy. If you think someone bids too much you are not obligated to out do it. You do not have to bid at all! I might want to bid more for whatever the reason. It is a win, win for both parties. Maybe, the best solution is to give the person offering the auction the right to cancel the auction within a certain amount of time if they have not received a "bid" they would accept. Say, 72 hours in a week long auction. I think that is more than fair. If the "auctioneer" receives a bid they would accept they would simply let the auction run it's course of a week. To me that is fair to both sides. The only draw back I see to that is that the moderators of the auction board will be having to spend a little more time deleting posts. BTW... really wish we could delete our own posts but that is another issue. OK off the soap box now... LOL

Hello,

I am in favor of reserves , and the "no reserves" rule has actually stopped me from starting an auction at this time.

A possible idea would be if you do not allow reserves , than the OP should be able to say they will only accept pins from their WANTs list.

Than anyone bidding can check the OP's wants and bid if they have any , I know some people will cut their wants before the auction , but than
they would/could miss out on the Auction and any Pinpics trade request during the auction.

Paul

Back