• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Replacing/Upgrading pin backs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replacing/Upgrading pin backs?

broncobilly83

Scrooge McDuck's #1 Nickel
DPF Correspondent
Rating - 100%
297   0   0
Lately, I have been getting older and older pins (that is what happens when you start a hobby that has been going on for 10+ years). Because of that, some of the pins I get do not have the standard Mickey ears pin back stopper. Some have the black rubber nubs, and some have the metal clasps.

My question is, when you get a pin like that, and you put it in your bag, book, collection, etc; do you replace the older style stopper with the new Mickey ears version, or leave the original in place?

The only backs I have changed (2) were VERY worn out and flimsy. Beyond that, I have just left whatever pin back I receive with the pin.

Almost all of our keepers are either in frames, books or pin boards so no backs are used. Therefore, I have thousands of mickey ear spares if I ever wanted to replace one. On my lantard, I use really cool locking backs as I described in another thread.

I have ended up using all the metal clasp backs I have received over the years in the framed pins that I make because they are thinner and don't stick out of the back of the frame too far. Other than that I just use the mickey heads. I got a pack of the locking backs once (the ones with the little L bar screwdriver thing) and it just turned into too much of a pain, so I use them to keep my pirate pins on my pirate hat for when I dress up at the Renn Fair every year.

I haven't always been able to keep the metal pinch-clasps with the older pins, but when I can keep them together, I like to do so rather than replace the old back with the new rubber backs. It just seems fitting somehow.

I used to replace the older backs with new ones when i first started collecting but now i just leave the pin how it came to me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back