RIP The Citrus Swirl 1971-198?, 2012-2018

Discussion in 'Disney Chat' started by chubs191, Mar 11, 2018.

1. chubs191

chubs191 Beautiful Tomorrow Admirer

Rating - 97.4%
    37   1   0

So, the Citrus Swirl has been ripped from fans and replaced Invasion of the Body Snatchers style with the Orange Swirl. I had the displeasure of trying the new "treat" and found it kinda gross. The orange part is made from Orange Dole Whip whose ingredients I shall now list:

ORANGE
    Sugar, Dextrose, Stabilizers (Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Locust Bean Gum, Guar Gum, Karaya Gum, Pectin), Coconut Oil, Contains 2% Or Less Of Each Of The Following: Citric Acid, Maltodextrin, Natural Flavor (Contains Orange Juice), Color (Tumeric Extract, Fruit & Vegetable Juice, Annatto Extract), Modified Food Starch, Mono & Diglycerides, Silicon Dioxide (Anticaking).

It tastes very sugary and not that orange to me. If you were ever interested in knowing the Pineapple Dole Whip ingredients, I found those here as well.

The only real advantage here is that I won't be spending $4 every time I go to Magic Kingdom from now on.

2. hopemax

hopemax DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    167   0   0

3. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Cheshirefied DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    90   0   0

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Whoever thinks that the Citrus Swirl and the Orange Swirl (Orange Dole Whip) are comparable needs to do a blind taste test .... pronto!

The one advantage, as the OP stated, is that I no longer will be spending $4 at the MK on these - but I would rather have my Citrus Swirl than 'save' the money. I was thrilled when Disney brought them back (I made a point of getting one almost every time I was in the MK), I will miss them very much, and I hope that someone somewhere will reconsider this decision.

coblj003 and Jabberwocky like this.
  5. chubs191

Rating - 97.4%
    37   1   0

They said it's not likely to never coming back, because it's much cheaper to do the orange dole whip. So, same price, they get x amount more profit.

6. Addicted to Alice Pins

Addicted to Alice Pins My name is Ann, and I'm here to enable you!

Rating - 100%
    85   0   0

Ahhh but if nobody buys them, Disney makes no money. So just stand by the cart and when people order, yell, "What are you stupid?!?!" You'll scare away the profits and get your Citrus Swirl back in no time. ;)

khossler, momin.ator and starry_solo like this.
  7. hopemax

hopemax DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    167   0   0

If you read the Disney Food Blog article, you will see Disney didn't want a comparable taste. They decided people wanted something "sweeter" and so made the change. Annoying all the people who loved the tartness.

8. dancecats

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

My thoughts exactly. Switching out the frozen orange juice for the ... whatever you want to call the confection that is the Orange Dole Whip ... might be cheaper and yield a higher profit, but someone has to buy them first. And if nobody (or very few people) buys them ... .

9. dancecats

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Ah, I see. I figured that since everything is governed by the almighty dollar, Disney was switching out a more-expensive product (frozen orange juice) with one they considered 'cheaper-but-comparable' (Orange Dole Whip) in order to maximize their profit margin.

Since it's about the quest for something 'sweeter', I don't understand why they don't just offer both options, as also was suggested by someone in the Blog's article's comments. As I recall, the Dole Whip stand offers (or offered?) both kinds of Whip-related products (Pineapple and Orange) while Sunshine Tree Terrace used to sell the Citrus Swirl.
    Since it's about taste preference, Disney is trying to please the widest range of people with its selections to ensure the highest sales and, consequently, profits. The problem is that no matter which treat is eliminated, someone is going to be disappointed and annoyed. Consequently, wouldn't it have made more sense to just keep both the Citrus Swirl and the Orange Dole Whip/Orange Swirl and allow guests to choose their preference? I believe they both were available before (just not from the same vendor) and if it's truly about taste (as Disney claims), I don't understand why it had to change.

Tokaji likes this.
  10. dancecats

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Here's what I want to know: did the 'powers that be' actually taste the end result before deciding that this would be a comparable alternative to the Citrus Swirl? And if yes, as a follow up, do they actually have taste buds? Because it's great for the company if they can save money on the production end ... but will they actually end up increasing their profit margin if sales decrease sharply?

In all the times I've been to WDW, I've never seen/heard anyone say that the Citrus Swirl is too tart/not sweet enough and would be better if it was just a little sweeter. If anyone wanted an Orange/Vanilla swirl, they would get an Orange Dole Whip with vanilla soft serve - not a Citrus Swirl (two completely different treats).

11. chubs191

Rating - 97.4%
    37   1   0

The citrus swirl that was temporarily available in Aloha Isle was very similar in taste to the new one (a little bit more tangy though). I remember having it and thinking, I liked it more than the Dole Whip, but not much more. Of course my Pineapple allergy had gotten worse by then, so Dole Whip wasn't really an option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Purplemandms likes this.
  12. pretty Omi

pretty Omi Resident Smol Wolf

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

You know, at least at Disneyland, they do random guest surveys on the food ALL THE TIME. I'm always happy to do them, to give them the feedback. I dunno if they have the same people wandering around MK, but I'd at least take the time to leave a guest comment telling them you don't like the change and why. It may make them at least change the recipe again, maybe they'll switch it back, or maybe they'll do nothing. But trying is better than doing nothing other than yelling at the comp screen ;3

13. GreyWyvern

GreyWyvern Figment Fan Since '84

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

Everyone's angry about no more Citrus Swirl and I'm just over here still sad about no pork shank at Gaston's Tavern. :'(

[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    246   0   0

I personally was not a fan of the citrus swirl. I tried it during my trip a few years ago, and I only got about a third of the way through before I started feeling ill and had to throw the rest away. I think the combination of acid/sour, plus the sweet cream, plus the Florida heat and humidity made for a not-so-pleasant experience.

I'm sorry to hear it's going away for those who were fans of it, though.

15. dancecats

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

That's an exceedingly fair point and I definitely plan to leave (polite and constructive) feedback at Guest Relations the next time I'm at the Magic Kingdom. The thing is, I do not live within driving distance to WDW so if I get there 2-3 times a year, I consider that a lot for me.

I also am more than happy to participate in those random guest surveys. They do exist at WDW, but for some reason, I almost never get asked and when I do, most of the time, they aren't interested in me because they're not looking for someone in my zip code (don't ask me).

16. pretty Omi

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

Wasn't intended as a call out of any kind, since I realize most people don't live close to a Disney park in general. I just wanted to say I think people forget, those little comments left at city hall, or even on social media at least directed at Disney (I tweet stuff at @Disneylandtoday on twitter fairly often!) don't always go as unnoticed as you think they might!
    [​IMG]
    One guest comment could be the force of change ;)

17. dancecats

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Oh, I know you didn't intend it as a call out and I didn't take it as such. I thought you made a valid point and had a really good suggestion by recommending that we (politely) comment directly to Disney instead of just discussing things here on the forum; I just wanted to acknowledge it.

18. pretty Omi

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Jabberwocky

Rating - 100%
    90   0   0

I feel your pain! We briefly had the pork shank at DLR and it was great! I was sad when it was taken away. :(

GreyWyvern likes this.
  20. dancecats

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

I feel your pain. That's a travesty that deserves its own thread ... . :(

GreyWyvern likes this.
  21. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

Ironically I have not had either, the last time I was at WDW was 2011 before the citrus swirl was reintroduced and the expansion of fantasyland opened. I'm curious is anyone is able to make a taste alike recipe for either, I am all of trying to find taste alike recipes online.

Disneychildwithin likes this.
  22. Addicted to Alice Pins

Addicted to Alice Pins My name is Ann, and I'm here to enable you!

Rating - 100%
    85   0   0

VICTORY! Congrats, guys!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  23. Jabberwocky

Rating - 100%
    90   0   0

THANK GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. pretty Omi

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

Haha I was just about to post this! Congrats everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. dancecats

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

I see that they're offering both the Citrus Swirl and the Orange Swirl ... perfect! This way, they can accommodate the guests who prefer the original tart/sweet combination and those who want the sweeter treat. Well done, Disney! Thank you for listening to the feedback and bringing back this iconic treat; it would have been very missed.

pretty Omi likes this.