• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

So what the heck happened with DPF?

I asked my computer nerd husband and he tried to explain a brute force attack to me, lol. I am wondering if it was a random hacker or someone with an ax to grind. :( To me, random hacker doesn't make much sense because what would they stand to gain? Either way I missed you all and I'm glad DPF is back! :)

This was posted on the DPF Facebook page:

SORRY FOR THE EXTREME DOWNTIME! Apparently our server was targeted by hackers and was being attacked via brute force/Denial of Service (DoS/DDoS) for the last week. Our host is still working on the issue, and has not updated us with specifics, but for now, the forums are BACK UP! Happy Posting!

-The DPF Team

and from Wikipedia on "DoS" -

In computing, a denial-of-service attack (DoS attack) or distributed denial-of-service attack (DDoS attack) is an attempt to make a machine or network resource unavailable to its intended users. Although the means to carry out, motives for, and targets of a DoS attack may vary, it generally consists of efforts to temporarily or indefinitely interrupt or suspend services of a host connected to the Internet.

Perpetrators of DoS attacks typically target sites or services hosted on high-profile web servers such as banks, credit card payment gateways, and even root nameservers. This technique has now seen extensive use in certain games, used by server owners, or disgruntled competitors on games. Increasingly, DoS attacks have also been used as a form of resistance. DoS they say is a tool for registering dissent. Richard Stallman has stated that DoS is a form of 'Internet Street Protests’.[SUP][1][/SUP] The term is generally used relating to computer networks, but is not limited to this field; for example, it is also used in reference to CPU resource management.[SUP][2][/SUP]

One common method of attack involves saturating the target machine with external communications requests, so much so that it cannot respond to legitimate traffic, or responds so slowly as to be rendered essentially unavailable. Such attacks usually lead to a server overload. In general terms, DoS attacks are implemented by either forcing the targeted computer(s) to reset, or consuming its resources so that it can no longer provide its intended service or obstructing the communication media between the intended users and the victim so that they can no longer communicate adequately.

Denial-of-service attacks are considered violations of the Internet Architecture Board's Internet proper use policy, and also violate the acceptable use policies of virtually all Internet service providers. They also commonly constitute violations of the laws of individual nations.

Last edited:
My husband once explained DDOS attacks with a metaphor... if each user trying to get to your site is like someone coming to your front door and ringing the doorbell, a DDOS is like someone sending a million robots to come to your front door and ring the doorbell. None of them are going to get in, or are even particularly trying to, but the real users can't get through the crowd of robots to get anywhere near the door. It's not so much an attempt to hack *into* a site as it is just to bring a site down.

ok I admit it, I was talking to Dancecats, while holding my Corona, the next bribery pin was up for moderator claiming and while in a heated debate over the real value of
28972: Disney Auctions - Elisabete Gomes (Maleficent)

i accidnetaly spilled some Island gold beer onto the server, it smoked and than spit some sparks , and eventually asked, "Dave what are you doing?" before going dark and silent.

I could have blamed this on the gremlins, or the goody good fairy pixie dust spraying, rainbow sprinkles unipegicorns dwellers of DPF,and/or the climate in the lower Amazon shifting,

but I didnt I fessed up, Me and my beer did it, ...............................

nah,,,,,,,,,,,,,it really was the gremlins..........

ok I admit it, I was talking to Dancecats, while holding my Corona, the next bribery pin was up for moderator claiming and while in a heated debate over the real value of
28972: Disney Auctions - Elisabete Gomes (Maleficent)

i accidnetaly spilled some Island gold beer onto the server, it smoked and than spit some sparks , and eventually asked, "Dave what are you doing?" before going dark and silent.

I could have blamed this on the gremlins, or the goody good fairy pixie dust spraying, rainbow sprinkles unipegicorns dwellers of DPF,and/or the climate in the lower Amazon shifting,

but I didnt I fessed up, Me and my beer did it, ...............................

nah,,,,,,,,,,,,,it really was the gremlins..........

You should know the rules!!! What three things should you never do to a Mogwai? 1) Don't expose them to bright light. They hate it. Sunlight will kill them. 2) Don't get them wet, and don't give them any water to drink, either. 3) Never, ever feed them after midnight!

Back