The Disney 52 Animated Challenge! Year-Long Activity! NOW PLAYING: Cinderella

Discussion in 'DPF Game Room' started by MerlinEmrys, Dec 15, 2017.

?

What day and time would you most like the D52 chat to be?

This poll will close on Feb 18, 2018 at 12:47 PM.
  1. Saturday: noonish

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. Saturday: late afternoon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Saturday: night

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. Sunday: morning

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Sunday: noonish

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  6. Sunday: late afternoon

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  7. Sunday: night

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  8. None of these

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MerlinEmrys

MerlinEmrys Hicitus Pinicus!

Rating - 100%
    372   0   0

Please join us as we embark on this epic 52-Week long journey! In this challenge, we will watch all of Disney's Animated Feature Films in chronological order (as well as a few bonus appearances!) and perform an in-depth analysis for each film! Please be sure to read the rules and check the first three posts before hopping in! But if you're late to the party, don't worry! Just pick up where we are and join the fun.

There are a few “rules” that go along with this challenge. This isn’t so much something I’m going to enforce, really, but it will help the challenge go smoothly and (I hope) generate a really fascinating conversation.

Rules:
    1. You MUST watch the film FRESH (as in, specifically for this challenge) in order to do the analysis portion. Don’t do an analysis if you’re going on memory—nostalgia is the biggest villain to a good analysis… There will be a weekly schedule in the second post. Try not to get ahead if you can help it; and if you miss a week, don’t backtrack but rather just pick up with were we are.

2. To perform the analysis portion, you must answer at least 5 of the 10 questions in the third post. Please DO NOT post your analysis outside of the film’s window (that one-week span indicated on the schedule), but you’re welcome to post your analysis at any time during that window.

3. Everyone is welcome to participate in the discussion, whether you watched the film fresh or did the analysis, or are just passing through! But please keep the discussion on that week’s film. Jumping back to old films (or getting ahead) would be confusing to the current conversation unless you’re making a points about the present film.

4. Be respectful of everyone’s opinions! Don’t be that one guy who just poo-poos on someone’s points. I have zero problems sending you to the principal’s office ;P

So there you go! Nothing too difficult! But above all, this is supposed to be fun! And insightful! We all love Disney, but I think it’s incredibly useful to be critical and analytical as well—that’s how things improve! And who knows, you just might learn something. ;P

Concerning Film Choices and Schedules:

So for this I pretty much just went through the list of Disney’s Animated Feature Films. In the 40s, there were a lot of what’s called “package” films which were really just shorts, so I’ve condensed those down to a single week. I’ve also included a few live-action/animated combos that I think are worthy of analysis (like Mary Poppins). I’ve also included a few “partner” films like Nightmare and Roger Rabbit as I think they also have an impact on Disney’s canon. Finally, you’ll notice that there are no Pixar movies here. This was done purely for scheduling purposes as there are 56 animated features (plus the few extras I added) without counting Pixar’s films (an additional 19….). So maybe there will be a follow-up challenge for Pixar. But please don’t ask me to add them to the schedule as there just isn’t time.

Finally, remember that this is just a fun challenge! If you can’t make it one week, don’t worry! Just hop in next time! Or, if you want to just pop in for your favorite films, go for it! You are in no way obligated or expected to complete every week’s film. :) But, it would be super fun to do, and you'll be eligible for the “completist” prize at the end. ;)

Looking forward to the discussions!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  2. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    372   0   0

[​IMG]
    Cinderella 1950

The discussion begins on Post #314!!!
    If you need images from the film, I suggest using the gallery at AnimationScreencaps.com

Film Schedule
    :

You can see the full schedule here on this Google Docs. In this post, I’ll keep up two months at a time. :)

Remember! Please only post your analysis and/or comments during that film’s one-week window! That will help keep the conversation moving!

For now, "wrap-up" comments and responses on the previous week's film is allowed on Sunday of the new week only. This will last until we can get a chat room for the challenge.

February:
    2/4 – 2/10: “Package” Films* (1943-49)
    2/11 – 2/17: Cinderella (1950)
    2/18 – 2/24: Alice in Wonderland (1951)
    2/25 – 3/3: Peter Pan (1953)

March:
    3/4 – 3/10: Lady and the Tramp (1955)
    3/11 – 3/17: Sleeping Beauty (1959)
    3/18 – 3/24: 101 Dalmatians (1961)
    3/25 – 3/31: Sword in the Stone (1963)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018 at 12:42 PM
  3. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    372   0   0

Analysis Questions:
    If you choose to participate in the full challenge, you need to answer at least 5 of the 10 questions here in any order you choose. The length is up to you. But as I tell my students: one sentence is never enough when it comes to analysis. So really chew on these! Really go for it! Have fun! Analysis is fun! #professorlife

1. What is your overall impression of the film? Some possible talking points include: what you did or did not like about it; what about the film has stuck with you; what did you find different on this viewing; how would modern audiences respond to this (for the older films)… The list goes on. Hahah!

2. What specific character did you connect most with and why? AND! What character did you find yourself the least connected to and why?

3. Choose one specific scene or sequence to analyze—tell me what response is it trying to evoke from the viewer and how does it go about getting that response? Your analysis could include the scene’s use of color, action, camera angles, music, character development, setting, backdrop, style, etc. If you can justify it with evidence from the scene, then it’s an analysis!

4. Choose one song to analyze—tell me what response is it trying to evoke from the viewer and how does it go about getting that response? What purpose does this song have in the film and does it succeed in that purpose?

5. Choose one specific symbol in the film to analyze. A symbol is typically something inanimate, an object, rather than a character. So don’t say “Brer Bear represents dumb people,” as that’s more of a character analysis than a symbol. Rather, think about specific objects (jewelry, clothing, houses, food, weapons, etc.) What does this symbol mean and how does that meaning impact the film?

6. Choose a single line of dialog that you find to be the most significant/impactful line in the film and why. You can be a little loose with the “single line” bit, but let’s not go for Maleficent’s entire monologue to Philip... Rather, something like Stitch’s “This is my family. I found it all on my own. It’s little, and broken, but still good. Yeah – still good.” (brb weeping).

7. What is this film’s overall goal? Is it to teach a specific lesson (what is it) or get an emotional response (such as)? Or both? And how well or poorly does the film succeed in that goal? Be specific!

8. What connections or progressions do you see in this film to past films? Example: how does Sleeping Beauty progress (or digress?) the princess archetype built in Cinderella? Be specific!

9. What is the iconic shot of the film? What single frame of animation do you find to be the most memorable and why? Post it! You can check out this link to find some great screencaps to help!

10. What single pin do you think best represents this film for you? Why? Give us the pin number and post a picture!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  4. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    372   0   0

The Prizes
    Members who complete 26 or more analyses over the course of the year will be awarded the "Go the Distance" Half-Completist medal at the end of the challenge. Those who complete 52 or more analyses over the course of the year will receive the "Dreams Come True" Completist medal AND the "Go the Distance" medal!

[​IMG]

Currently, we are exploring options for a physical representation for the medal. Early ideas are a magnet or certificate or something of the sort that will be provided to each recipient. But more on that as the year goes on.

And an extra huge thank you to our incredible artist, @AidanShepard for bringing the idea to life! The artwork is stupendous and I can't express how thankful I am for all the work you put into it! :D

Completion Board
    Those who complete each week's analysis challenge will get added to the board here!

AshleyV
    [​IMG]

chubs191
    [​IMG]

coblj003
    [​IMG]

Counselor
    [​IMG]

MerlinEmrys
    [​IMG]

Nutmeg
    [​IMG]

Papaya
    [​IMG]

pincrazy
    [​IMG]

slbrabham
    [​IMG]

timeerkat
    [​IMG]

watzshakinbacon
    [​IMG]

xdattax
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018 at 9:44 PM
  5. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    372   0   0

Just in case

6. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0

Wow, this sound thing cool to do which I ironically haven't done. As I have a good majority of the classics already, I think it would be a great time to watch with my daughters(or put them on at work lol). Awesome bucket list for the near year...

7. bookhugger

bookhugger I love books!

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Can't wait! I think I have many of these already!

8. FoolishMortal71

FoolishMortal71 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0

Oddly enough, I was planning on starting a collection of one pin from each of the animated films that stood out as an iconic moment from each one. This could be a fun collaboration. Also, side note, I just read they have remastered and are re-releasing The Dark Crystal this year.

MerlinEmrys, coblj003 and Sami like this.
  9. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    219   0   0

I'm probably going to join in on this, though I don't own a lot of movies yet (especially the older ones) so it might get a bit expensive.

10. Sami

Sami Active Member

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

This sounds fun, I think I may have most of the Disney movies saved on my old computer! Just have to move it all to my new computer! *searches cave*

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

11. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    372   0   0

Oh I'm not going to buy all of them! A lot of them are online in various and sundry ways. Perhaps I'll put up a "ghost dropbox" or something to share. It's all for education, right? XD

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Sami likes this.
  12. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0

Go to your local library, you can get them for free there or borrow it from another library. My local one where I work has most of the ones I don't, as well as Studio Ghibli...

13. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    372   0   0

Oh my gosh you're brilliant........ I would never have thought of this!!!

14. NutMeg

NutMeg I tie my own sandals.

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

As a film student, this challenge was made for me! Last quarter, for a Film Adaptations class, I wrote a 12-page essay on the relationship between the original Sleeping Beauty and the live-action Maleficent. :D

So yeah, sign me up! I'll add these to my Netflix DVD queue. I haven't seen a lot of these early films since I was a kid, because they totally traumatized me lol. I'll need some time to emotionally prepare myself for Bambi... and oh God, I am so not looking forward to The Fox and the Hound...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  15. SiuJerkJai

SiuJerkJai Mrs. Nesbitt

Rating - 100%
    137   0   0

Yes, support your local library if you have one! GUYS, GUYS, IT'S A BUILDING FULL OF BOOKS, MUSIC, AND MOVIES AND THEY ARE FREE (to check out)!!!

We practically live at ours. We could never afford to rent/buy all the books and movies we go through.

16. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    219   0   0

Good idea! I guess I'm stuck in the 80's, I never think of the library for movies.

MerlinEmrys likes this.
  17. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    372   0   0

This exact thing may or may not be the alterior motive to the last question. XD I'd love to eventually do the same thing. :3

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

18. timeerkat

Rating - 100%
    219   0   0

How funny! Awhile ago I had the idea of creating a collection of one pin of my favorite character from each movie. :D

MerlinEmrys likes this.
  19. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    75   0   0

@MerlinEmrys you sound like a really fun professor haha I’m excited to do this more than my own research hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MerlinEmrys likes this.
  20. Ventchick

Ventchick The DPF Ventriloquist

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0

I am in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MerlinEmrys likes this.
  21. slbrabham

slbrabham Active Member

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

If you don't want to borrow but want to keep a copy, often Goodwill or other thrift stores sell DVDs. It may be hit or miss.

MerlinEmrys and timeerkat like this.
  22. caw caw rawr

caw caw rawr Squirrel!

Rating - 100%
    43   0   0

I do this every year. We own all of the animated features (I'm slowly replacing my VHS copies) and watch them in order. It's fun to see the way the animation grows and changes.

I will add to the discussion when I can but will follow my own schedule as sometimes I watch 5 in a week (I throw one on and fold laundry or craft while watching) or take a week off - especially during the 'meh' movie section of the list. :) I also include the Pixar movies in my list and it works for me. :)

MerlinEmrys likes this.
  23. SoraPandora

SoraPandora Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0

24. pincrazy

pincrazy Active Member

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Wow, this is a cool challenge. Haha guess I can crack open the vhs tapes too and laser discs, hope the players still work. : ) Don't know if I have all of them.
    It would be Fun if we had a gathering place to watch it together as a meetup or classroom, guess it would be tough weekly. Hmmm....time to check which ones i have.

25. pincrazy

pincrazy Active Member

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Just checked on the first requirement, not sure how I'll find the movie FRESH, it's an older film.