The Disney 52 Animated Challenge! Year-Long Activity! NOW PLAYING: Cinderella

Discussion in 'DPF Game Room' started by MerlinEmrys, Dec 15, 2017.

?

What day and time would you most like the D52 chat to be?

This poll will close on Feb 18, 2018 at 12:47 PM.
  1. Saturday: noonish

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. Saturday: late afternoon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Saturday: night

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. Sunday: morning

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Sunday: noonish

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  6. Sunday: late afternoon

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  7. Sunday: night

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  8. None of these

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    75   0   0

2. What specific character did you connect most with and why? AND! What character did you find yourself the least connected to and why?
    I think I connected most with the Fairy Godmother. At first, I thought she was trolling Cinderella by first taking care of the pumpkin, mice, horses, etc. Then, I realized she forgot about the dress. I, too, can be absent-minded at times but have the best intentions as heart :p However, I hope that my actions/ help last more than just a few hours.

I least connected with Lady Tremaine. She is a HUGEEEE B-WORD. Like.. she is SO CRUEL. I really can't fathom how people can be like that. She puts on a "sweet", polite voice, but her tone is so cold. She said she never breaks her promise/ word, and then goes about commenting on Cinderella's beads and dress. She knew that would set off her daughters. She knows exactly how to manipulate people to get what she wants.

3. Choose one specific scene or sequence to analyze—tell me what response is it trying to evoke from the viewer and how does it go about getting that response? Your analysis could include the scene’s use of color, action, camera angles, music, character development, setting, backdrop, style, etc. If you can justify it with evidence from the scene, then it’s an analysis!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    This is the "Sing Sweet Nightingale" sequence. It starts off with singing/ music practice for the two step sisters. This is an activity for aristocracy/ not servants; supposed to increase their marketability as eligible bachelorettes (I don't have a sources for this, but I'm sure it's true). Anyway, Driselda's voice is on pitch, but it's screechy and scratchy. Anastasia'sflute is squeaky and cacophonous. Even Lucifer can't handle (this shows how much Lady Tremaine really loves her daughters.. she'll practice with them if it helps them get better). The room they're in is brightly lit and colored. The bright and harsh colors seem to match the harsh noise coming from this crowd.

Meanwhile, Cinderella is cleaning, but her singing is sweet, melodious, and literally music to our ears. She is dressed in her muted colored rags, the walls and floor was neutral colors, and it's an opposite scene from the step family even though they're in the same house. Then color is added to the scene with the multiple bubbles from the soap water. I thought this was particularly clever -- each bubble basically sings a harmony and creates a beautifully complex melody. The numerous bubbles just show how she works, works, and works.

4. Choose one song to analyze—tell me what response is it trying to evoke from the viewer and how does it go about getting that response? What purpose does this song have in the film and does it succeed in that purpose? A Dream is Wish Your Heart Makes
    It's the first song in the story (besides opening credits), and Cinderella sings it as she wakes up. The narrator had just told us that she lost her mother, eventually lost her father, and is not a servant to her stepmother and sisters while being abused and humiliated. This song shows the optimistic nature of Cinderella; she won't share her dream because her dream is her wish, and wishes won't come true if you say them out loud. It's a soft and sweet song that wakens and beckons all her animal critter friends; the birds even shush each other to hear her sing. Towards the end of the song, almost all the animals are captivated and hypnotized by her song. Maybe this shows her innocence/ purity that captures the spirit of her animal friends. The song helps to set up Cinderella as an underdog with a wish and is just beaten down with work, abuse, and unfortunate circumstances.

8. What connections or progressions do you see in this film to past films? Example: how does Sleeping Beauty progress (or digress?) the princess archetype built in Cinderella? This is our second princess movie. When we watched Snow White, I think I mentioned how the woodland creatures became her sidekicks. Similarly, Cinderella also has critters to befriend and help her with chores. However, in this case, the animals have their own personas and can talk! I found several things interesting about these animals:
    1) They're mice. A subpoint about that is they are NOT RATS. I think usually mice are shown as the nice/ cute rodent (probably like Mickey Mouse) while rats are more devious/ cunning villain type of rodents. This is later demonstrated in the Great Mouse Detective.
    2) They can speak albeit not like humans. In fact, Jac speaks more like ... Scooby Doo. A lot of R's at the beginning of his words ("rike" for like, "Rucifer" for Lucifer). He/ the mice also repeat words (like "cat cat", "Gus Gus"). I think this might be a form of baby talk (like.. how babies talk); thus is not a fully developed level of speech, which is probably just reinforcing the fact that they're not humans. I'm sure there's another name for "baby talk" that I learned in my linguistics class a long time ago, but I can't remember.. so much for majoring in that! haha Anyway, the comparison I was going to make was that in Snow White, none of the animals spoke, so there's a clear progression/ evolution of animal sidekicks in Cinderella (even if they are babbling a lot).

10. What single pin do you think best represents this film for you? Why?
    [​IMG]
    Pin #47017 is the pin for me (if there was a scene of them dancing in the balcony, that'd be it haha). Anyway, this one is close enough. It shows Cinderella dancing with the Prince, and it's a short but sweet taste of victory. I feel like this is the first time she is happy in a long time (since her father died). It's the stuff of fairy tales!

Random thoughts:
    - Why is Lucifer given a bowl of milk as his breakfast? Because of this, when I was a kid, I thought that cats didn't eat food.. only milk! You can probably tell I was raised as a dog person. hahaha
    - Lucifer is like a spoiled younger sibling. He chooses to ignore Cinderella when she calls him for breakfast, but he gets up reluctantly when she calls him in a stern voice. It's a weird dynamic because she's also his servant (in terms of family hierarchy) but obviously, she can choose to feed him or not, so he does depend on her.
    - I love this cinderella pin!! #12231
    [​IMG] Love this style of art and dress! Maybe cuz it reminds me a bit of Belle hahaha

coblj003 and MerlinEmrys like this.
  2. pretty Omi

pretty Omi Resident Smol Wolf

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

Ok yeah, this is a super late reply. I had this VHS. The dwarfettes or something were magical and had powers to match their names. I somehow remember Muddy, Critterina, Sunburn, Moonbeam, Marina. And the bad guy was the queen's sorcerer brother. One of those awful pieces of garbage you couldn't stop watching. I watched this more than the official Snow White...
    Oh there was an owl who smoked cigars and his bat sidekick spent the whole movie telling him he shouldn't smoke. So that was in there too.

NutMeg and coblj003 like this.
  3. NutMeg

NutMeg I tie my own sandals.

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

I totally need to re-watch it, haven't seen it since I was super young. It would be fun just for the nostalgia. I haven't even thought about it since I was a kid, but watching Snow White triggered my memory.

4. NutMeg

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

I'm so bummed that I had to skip the past couple of weeks, I've just been super busy and dealing with family stuff. Ugh, I really wanted that completist title!! Maybe I can do some extra credit down the line (*cough*Anastasia*cough*.) I'm definitely going to make time for Cinderella this week, no matter what! I have too much to say about it haha.

5. pretty Omi

pretty Omi Resident Smol Wolf

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

But Anastasia isn't Disney >:3 (And no them buying out Fox doesn't suddenly make it canon!)

MerlinEmrys likes this.
  6. NutMeg

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Trust me, I know haha. It was a nod to @MerlinEmrys and a recent conversation we had. But hey, Star Wars and Marvel weren't always part of the Disney canon, either... ;)

MerlinEmrys and coblj003 like this.
  7. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0

So I just got done watching Cinderella yestereday and plan on posting review by tommorow, did we ever decide when we would have a Chat discussion in place?

8. MerlinEmrys

MerlinEmrys Hicitus Pinicus!

Rating - 100%
    372   0   0

There's still a few days left in the poll, but it looks like Sunday late afternoon has a bit of a lead on most options.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

9. Purplemandms

Purplemandms Like the candy!

Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

Chiming in to say that 1) Great reviews everyone! 2) A Bug's Life is currently on ABC, and I'm automatically analyzing it (even though I know you all won't be doing Pixar movies, honestly this movie is much better than I remember it!)

MerlinEmrys likes this.
  10. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    372   0   0

Oof, this week has been rough. So I'm kinda phoning this one in guys. XD Off we go! (it's so weird that we're already at Cinderella...)

1. Overall Impression
    I’ve watched this movie relatively recently before the challenge and remembered not caring for it a whole lot, but I did enjoy it more this time. However, there was a lot of mice side plot. I certainly didn’t remember them having such a large role (and amount of screen time) which struck me as strange. We got almost as much development, or even more, for Jacque and Gus than we did Cinderella. And I think this is by far our most developed villain. Lady Tremaine (whom I couldn’t help but see as a precursor to Maleficent) was exceptionally composed, from her voice acting to the details in her drawing. That moment when she grips the key in her pocket was a subtle, yet potent demonstration of power. And that, perhaps, is what sets this film apart: it very subtly addresses small elements when tie the entire narrative together. From Cinderella losing her slipper on the stairs when she’s bringing up breakfast, to the fact that Bruno gets to fulfill his dream of chasing Lucifer which was set up in the beginning, I think this film was the first to really nail the storytelling process and craft a film which builds on its groundwork rather than just skipping ahead a bit.

2. Character Connection
    I really loved the Fairy Godmother in this. Hahah! Her hokey modesty with a touch of bumbling made her exceptionally endearing despite having about 2 minutes worth of screen time. And the casual way they incorporated the rhyme scheme into her dialog was really a nice touch—it made her all the more magical.

As for disconnect, well, that’s got to be poor Gus. While I’m a short, tubby, klutzy kind of guy myself, I have never been able to connect with this little mouse. Perhaps because my own frustration with his ineptitude is echoed by Jaq (though not as loudly as me), I suppose I feel a bit supported in my eye rolls, hahah!

Side note: Russ pointed out that Jaq’s voice has a similar style to Donald Duck. A cursory Googling doesn’t yield anything. But maybe someone knows something I don’t?

5. Symbol Analysis
    A symbol that really struck me as interesting was the castle itself. Like the castle in Snow White, this one was always far off, dream-like, hazy, almost immaterial, even when we were in front of it.

[​IMG]

This might suggest the utter impossibility of reaching this place. The castle also, of course, represents wealth, prosperity, and the upper-upper class. Considering that the film is centered around Cinderella’s rags-to-riches story, but also spends a good bit of time exploring the disrepair and “fallen from grace” style of the Tremaines, there is a distinct desire for upwards mobility in both class-wise and monetarily. The castle looms large over everyone (like some weird panopticon—always watching) and governs its people with the ominous (oppressive?) and distant chiming of the bells (“Oooooh, that clock!” says Cinderella, “Even he orders me around” / And the clock toll “breaks the spell”)

[​IMG]

This suggests an impassable gulf between the upper crust and everyone else. One that can only be reached, as far as the film is concerned, with some magical intervention. In a film that’s all about upward mobility, it sure doesn’t seem like most of us have a good shot at it…

8. Film Connections
    I felt a LOT of Ichabod in this film. I know several pointed out the similarities between Von Tussel and Cindy, but the Grand Duke felt a lot like Ichabod himself. Plus, those horsemen who went chasing after Cindy were totally based off of the Headless Horsemen…

[​IMG]

9. Iconic Shot
    The bubble scene is always what I think of when I think of this film. The great contrast between Cindy’s singing and Drizella’s, plus the cool “harmony” that happens from her reflections in the bubbles is just a really simple yet impressive effect.

[​IMG]

10. Representative Pin
    There’s no way I’m looking through 63 pages of Cinderella pins. XD But, adding some keywords got me a pretty solid choice:

[​IMG]
    Pin 96264 DLR - Window to the Magic – Cinderella

This pin features the far off castle image that I put a lot of meaning in for the film and the eye of gazing, or watching through windows or lenses happens a lot in the film (the Grand Duke’s monocle for example), so I think this one packs in a lot of material all in one pin. Plus who doesn’t love Crazy Face Cindy?

Side thoughts:
    **This film lost all realism when Cindy goes to get Lucifer and has to scream at him to come down for early breakfast. No no no. NO cat would EVER turn down early breakfast. Totally broke the magic. XD

**Can we all just take a moment to appreciate Lady Tremaine’s “da fuq” face here????
    [​IMG]

**When Cindy was in the garden crying and the soft gentle chorus was singing “A Dream” in the background, it seemed like she was responding to it at times: “A rainbow will come smiling through…” “No, it’s impossible….”. This felt a lot like Meg’s “I Won’t Say I’m in Love”, possibly because I JUST re-watched that scene yesterday. So it’s fresh. BUT STILL.

Papaya, coblj003 and AshleyV like this.
  11. AshleyV

AshleyV Active Member

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0

Yes, this. My cat sprints whenever he so much as hears anyone eating breakfast, even if it's not his.

[​IMG]

I know we're supposed to sympathize with the mice in Cinderella, but honestly, I feel like Lucifer has *some* right to be annoyed with them scampering all over the house, trying to disrupt things. :p

12. Meritre

Meritre Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I just watched a video about Disney and reusing, recycling their own stuff. It was mentioned that one of the Headless Horsemen was used for Philip in Sleeping Beauty so I think it's highly possible that the actrually did reuse it. Good catch :)

Yes, cats insist on beeing served first :)(at least mine did when they were still around) No way they would turn down an early breakfast.

13. Papaya

Papaya Active Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Good catch! Now that you pointed it out, it definitely feels like that song in Hercules ties with the scene in Cinderella. It's hard to unsee the connection now, even though I never saw it before.

Also no way I'm rewatching the Adventures of mice-- err, Cinderella again. The live action version from 2015 was way more entertaining for me since it actually was all about Cindy's story and not some sidekick animals. Also it looked wonderful.

Speaking of which, can the members compare the original Cinderella to its live action remake? That would be interesting to read.

14. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    372   0   0

They certainly can in addition to the analysis. :) I haven't seen the LA, so I can't add much to that discussion. XD

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk