The Disney 52 Animated Challenge: Year-Long Activity! NOW PLAYING: Nightmare Before Christmas

Discussion in 'DPF Game Room' started by MerlinEmrys, Dec 15, 2017.

1. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    93   0   0

2. What specific character did you connect most with and why? AND! What character did you find yourself the least connected to and why?
    I think I connected most with the Fairy Godmother. At first, I thought she was trolling Cinderella by first taking care of the pumpkin, mice, horses, etc. Then, I realized she forgot about the dress. I, too, can be absent-minded at times but have the best intentions as heart :p However, I hope that my actions/ help last more than just a few hours.

I least connected with Lady Tremaine. She is a HUGEEEE B-WORD. Like.. she is SO CRUEL. I really can't fathom how people can be like that. She puts on a "sweet", polite voice, but her tone is so cold. She said she never breaks her promise/ word, and then goes about commenting on Cinderella's beads and dress. She knew that would set off her daughters. She knows exactly how to manipulate people to get what she wants.

3. Choose one specific scene or sequence to analyze—tell me what response is it trying to evoke from the viewer and how does it go about getting that response? Your analysis could include the scene’s use of color, action, camera angles, music, character development, setting, backdrop, style, etc. If you can justify it with evidence from the scene, then it’s an analysis!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    This is the "Sing Sweet Nightingale" sequence. It starts off with singing/ music practice for the two step sisters. This is an activity for aristocracy/ not servants; supposed to increase their marketability as eligible bachelorettes (I don't have a sources for this, but I'm sure it's true). Anyway, Driselda's voice is on pitch, but it's screechy and scratchy. Anastasia'sflute is squeaky and cacophonous. Even Lucifer can't handle (this shows how much Lady Tremaine really loves her daughters.. she'll practice with them if it helps them get better). The room they're in is brightly lit and colored. The bright and harsh colors seem to match the harsh noise coming from this crowd.

Meanwhile, Cinderella is cleaning, but her singing is sweet, melodious, and literally music to our ears. She is dressed in her muted colored rags, the walls and floor was neutral colors, and it's an opposite scene from the step family even though they're in the same house. Then color is added to the scene with the multiple bubbles from the soap water. I thought this was particularly clever -- each bubble basically sings a harmony and creates a beautifully complex melody. The numerous bubbles just show how she works, works, and works.

4. Choose one song to analyze—tell me what response is it trying to evoke from the viewer and how does it go about getting that response? What purpose does this song have in the film and does it succeed in that purpose? A Dream is Wish Your Heart Makes
    It's the first song in the story (besides opening credits), and Cinderella sings it as she wakes up. The narrator had just told us that she lost her mother, eventually lost her father, and is not a servant to her stepmother and sisters while being abused and humiliated. This song shows the optimistic nature of Cinderella; she won't share her dream because her dream is her wish, and wishes won't come true if you say them out loud. It's a soft and sweet song that wakens and beckons all her animal critter friends; the birds even shush each other to hear her sing. Towards the end of the song, almost all the animals are captivated and hypnotized by her song. Maybe this shows her innocence/ purity that captures the spirit of her animal friends. The song helps to set up Cinderella as an underdog with a wish and is just beaten down with work, abuse, and unfortunate circumstances.

8. What connections or progressions do you see in this film to past films? Example: how does Sleeping Beauty progress (or digress?) the princess archetype built in Cinderella? This is our second princess movie. When we watched Snow White, I think I mentioned how the woodland creatures became her sidekicks. Similarly, Cinderella also has critters to befriend and help her with chores. However, in this case, the animals have their own personas and can talk! I found several things interesting about these animals:
    1) They're mice. A subpoint about that is they are NOT RATS. I think usually mice are shown as the nice/ cute rodent (probably like Mickey Mouse) while rats are more devious/ cunning villain type of rodents. This is later demonstrated in the Great Mouse Detective.
    2) They can speak albeit not like humans. In fact, Jac speaks more like ... Scooby Doo. A lot of R's at the beginning of his words ("rike" for like, "Rucifer" for Lucifer). He/ the mice also repeat words (like "cat cat", "Gus Gus"). I think this might be a form of baby talk (like.. how babies talk); thus is not a fully developed level of speech, which is probably just reinforcing the fact that they're not humans. I'm sure there's another name for "baby talk" that I learned in my linguistics class a long time ago, but I can't remember.. so much for majoring in that! haha Anyway, the comparison I was going to make was that in Snow White, none of the animals spoke, so there's a clear progression/ evolution of animal sidekicks in Cinderella (even if they are babbling a lot).

10. What single pin do you think best represents this film for you? Why?
    [​IMG]
    Pin #47017 is the pin for me (if there was a scene of them dancing in the balcony, that'd be it haha). Anyway, this one is close enough. It shows Cinderella dancing with the Prince, and it's a short but sweet taste of victory. I feel like this is the first time she is happy in a long time (since her father died). It's the stuff of fairy tales!

Random thoughts:
    - Why is Lucifer given a bowl of milk as his breakfast? Because of this, when I was a kid, I thought that cats didn't eat food.. only milk! You can probably tell I was raised as a dog person. hahaha
    - Lucifer is like a spoiled younger sibling. He chooses to ignore Cinderella when she calls him for breakfast, but he gets up reluctantly when she calls him in a stern voice. It's a weird dynamic because she's also his servant (in terms of family hierarchy) but obviously, she can choose to feed him or not, so he does depend on her.
    - I love this cinderella pin!! #12231
    [​IMG] Love this style of art and dress! Maybe cuz it reminds me a bit of Belle hahaha

coblj003 and MerlinEmrys like this.
  2. pretty Omi

pretty Omi Resident Smol Wolf

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Ok yeah, this is a super late reply. I had this VHS. The dwarfettes or something were magical and had powers to match their names. I somehow remember Muddy, Critterina, Sunburn, Moonbeam, Marina. And the bad guy was the queen's sorcerer brother. One of those awful pieces of garbage you couldn't stop watching. I watched this more than the official Snow White...
    Oh there was an owl who smoked cigars and his bat sidekick spent the whole movie telling him he shouldn't smoke. So that was in there too.

3. NutMeg

NutMeg I tie my own sandals.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

I totally need to re-watch it, haven't seen it since I was super young. It would be fun just for the nostalgia. I haven't even thought about it since I was a kid, but watching Snow White triggered my memory.

4. NutMeg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

I'm so bummed that I had to skip the past couple of weeks, I've just been super busy and dealing with family stuff. Ugh, I really wanted that completist title!! Maybe I can do some extra credit down the line (*cough*Anastasia*cough*.) I'm definitely going to make time for Cinderella this week, no matter what! I have too much to say about it haha.

5. pretty Omi

pretty Omi Resident Smol Wolf

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

But Anastasia isn't Disney >:3 (And no them buying out Fox doesn't suddenly make it canon!)

MerlinEmrys likes this.
  6. NutMeg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Trust me, I know haha. It was a nod to @MerlinEmrys and a recent conversation we had. But hey, Star Wars and Marvel weren't always part of the Disney canon, either... ;)

MerlinEmrys and coblj003 like this.
  7. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

So I just got done watching Cinderella yestereday and plan on posting review by tommorow, did we ever decide when we would have a Chat discussion in place?

8. MerlinEmrys

MerlinEmrys Hicitus Pinicus!

Rating - 100%
    428   0   0

There's still a few days left in the poll, but it looks like Sunday late afternoon has a bit of a lead on most options.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

9. Purplemandms

Purplemandms Like the candy!

Rating - 100%
    54   0   0

Chiming in to say that 1) Great reviews everyone! 2) A Bug's Life is currently on ABC, and I'm automatically analyzing it (even though I know you all won't be doing Pixar movies, honestly this movie is much better than I remember it!)

MerlinEmrys likes this.
  10. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    428   0   0

Oof, this week has been rough. So I'm kinda phoning this one in guys. XD Off we go! (it's so weird that we're already at Cinderella...)

1. Overall Impression
    I’ve watched this movie relatively recently before the challenge and remembered not caring for it a whole lot, but I did enjoy it more this time. However, there was a lot of mice side plot. I certainly didn’t remember them having such a large role (and amount of screen time) which struck me as strange. We got almost as much development, or even more, for Jacque and Gus than we did Cinderella. And I think this is by far our most developed villain. Lady Tremaine (whom I couldn’t help but see as a precursor to Maleficent) was exceptionally composed, from her voice acting to the details in her drawing. That moment when she grips the key in her pocket was a subtle, yet potent demonstration of power. And that, perhaps, is what sets this film apart: it very subtly addresses small elements when tie the entire narrative together. From Cinderella losing her slipper on the stairs when she’s bringing up breakfast, to the fact that Bruno gets to fulfill his dream of chasing Lucifer which was set up in the beginning, I think this film was the first to really nail the storytelling process and craft a film which builds on its groundwork rather than just skipping ahead a bit.

2. Character Connection
    I really loved the Fairy Godmother in this. Hahah! Her hokey modesty with a touch of bumbling made her exceptionally endearing despite having about 2 minutes worth of screen time. And the casual way they incorporated the rhyme scheme into her dialog was really a nice touch—it made her all the more magical.

As for disconnect, well, that’s got to be poor Gus. While I’m a short, tubby, klutzy kind of guy myself, I have never been able to connect with this little mouse. Perhaps because my own frustration with his ineptitude is echoed by Jaq (though not as loudly as me), I suppose I feel a bit supported in my eye rolls, hahah!

Side note: Russ pointed out that Jaq’s voice has a similar style to Donald Duck. A cursory Googling doesn’t yield anything. But maybe someone knows something I don’t?

5. Symbol Analysis
    A symbol that really struck me as interesting was the castle itself. Like the castle in Snow White, this one was always far off, dream-like, hazy, almost immaterial, even when we were in front of it.

[​IMG]

This might suggest the utter impossibility of reaching this place. The castle also, of course, represents wealth, prosperity, and the upper-upper class. Considering that the film is centered around Cinderella’s rags-to-riches story, but also spends a good bit of time exploring the disrepair and “fallen from grace” style of the Tremaines, there is a distinct desire for upwards mobility in both class-wise and monetarily. The castle looms large over everyone (like some weird panopticon—always watching) and governs its people with the ominous (oppressive?) and distant chiming of the bells (“Oooooh, that clock!” says Cinderella, “Even he orders me around” / And the clock toll “breaks the spell”)

[​IMG]

This suggests an impassable gulf between the upper crust and everyone else. One that can only be reached, as far as the film is concerned, with some magical intervention. In a film that’s all about upward mobility, it sure doesn’t seem like most of us have a good shot at it…

8. Film Connections
    I felt a LOT of Ichabod in this film. I know several pointed out the similarities between Von Tussel and Cindy, but the Grand Duke felt a lot like Ichabod himself. Plus, those horsemen who went chasing after Cindy were totally based off of the Headless Horsemen…

[​IMG]

9. Iconic Shot
    The bubble scene is always what I think of when I think of this film. The great contrast between Cindy’s singing and Drizella’s, plus the cool “harmony” that happens from her reflections in the bubbles is just a really simple yet impressive effect.

[​IMG]

10. Representative Pin
    There’s no way I’m looking through 63 pages of Cinderella pins. XD But, adding some keywords got me a pretty solid choice:

[​IMG]
    Pin 96264 DLR - Window to the Magic – Cinderella

This pin features the far off castle image that I put a lot of meaning in for the film and the eye of gazing, or watching through windows or lenses happens a lot in the film (the Grand Duke’s monocle for example), so I think this one packs in a lot of material all in one pin. Plus who doesn’t love Crazy Face Cindy?

Side thoughts:
    **This film lost all realism when Cindy goes to get Lucifer and has to scream at him to come down for early breakfast. No no no. NO cat would EVER turn down early breakfast. Totally broke the magic. XD

**Can we all just take a moment to appreciate Lady Tremaine’s “da fuq” face here????
    [​IMG]

**When Cindy was in the garden crying and the soft gentle chorus was singing “A Dream” in the background, it seemed like she was responding to it at times: “A rainbow will come smiling through…” “No, it’s impossible….”. This felt a lot like Meg’s “I Won’t Say I’m in Love”, possibly because I JUST re-watched that scene yesterday. So it’s fresh. BUT STILL.

Papaya, coblj003 and AshleyV like this.
  11. AshleyV

AshleyV Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0

Yes, this. My cat sprints whenever he so much as hears anyone eating breakfast, even if it's not his.

[​IMG]

I know we're supposed to sympathize with the mice in Cinderella, but honestly, I feel like Lucifer has *some* right to be annoyed with them scampering all over the house, trying to disrupt things. :p

PixiePost likes this.
  12. Meritre

Meritre Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I just watched a video about Disney and reusing, recycling their own stuff. It was mentioned that one of the Headless Horsemen was used for Philip in Sleeping Beauty so I think it's highly possible that the actrually did reuse it. Good catch :)

Yes, cats insist on beeing served first :)(at least mine did when they were still around) No way they would turn down an early breakfast.

13. Papaya

Papaya Active Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Good catch! Now that you pointed it out, it definitely feels like that song in Hercules ties with the scene in Cinderella. It's hard to unsee the connection now, even though I never saw it before.

Also no way I'm rewatching the Adventures of mice-- err, Cinderella again. The live action version from 2015 was way more entertaining for me since it actually was all about Cindy's story and not some sidekick animals. Also it looked wonderful.

Speaking of which, can the members compare the original Cinderella to its live action remake? That would be interesting to read.

14. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    428   0   0

They certainly can in addition to the analysis. :) I haven't seen the LA, so I can't add much to that discussion. XD

15. xdattax

xdattax Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    54   0   0

This is a short one.

Over all impressions
    Cinderella is blue. One cannot get away from the coloration of this film. This was the first thing I really noticed and kept noticing throughout the whole thing was that it is blue. Which explains why Cinderella is the blue princess. I haven’t seen Cinderella in several years but less time than some of the others but still quite a while. It’s a pretty straightforward telling of the fairytale without the gruesome toe and heel cutting on the stepsisters part. Overall it’s very pretty straightforward.

Character connections
    This one was pretty easy to connect with the main care. Cinderella show it was climbed loving thoughtful and helpful despite many samples. She is a positive character as well as a symbol of traditional feminist which isn’t a bad thing, but a much more popular and accepted ideal in the 1950s.

The character I felt least connected to was a pair, the sisters. Girls aren’t fleshed out at all, they’re just obnoxious to be obnoxious. At least the stepmother had reasoning she was money hungry. The two daughters just grew up like that. There’s no real connection to them other than to just not like them.

Song analysis
    Sing sweet nightingale is my favorite song here as it shows the contrasts between the sisters. Cindy is lovely to hear, while the sisters are cacophonous. This pretty much describes their relationship.

Symbols
    The slipper felt symbolic of the dreams themselves, so easily broken by daybreak (or a walking stick). But, Cinderella never gave up on her dreams, hence having a backup. :)

Iconic shot

[​IMG]

Yup. Home girl wanted a night off and a nice dress, so here it is. :)

Ok. I’m wiped. It’s late. No shot of my ancient VHS copy. But man, my tv is starting to fail. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MerlinEmrys likes this.
  16. slbrabham

slbrabham Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0

Cinderella

1.). Overall Impression

I enjoyed the movie. The villain was scary because she was realistic. Cinderella was accepting of her situation rather than weak. When you can't control a situation, you can control your reaction to the situation. If you think about the time period of the setting and the film's creation, her actions make sense. The music was pretty and memorable.

The one thing that bugged me was this question. Why do some animals talk in this movie and others don't? I kept thinking of this as I watched the movie. Lucifer, Major, and Bruno do not talk like humans talk. The mice talk like humans.

2.) Character Connection

I connected with Cinderella in that she tried to look on the bright side of life and didn't let others change her. Some people may consider her weak for staying with Lady Tremaine, but she really didn't have anywhere else to go. I think she showed a strength in not allowing the harshness of her life to make her a hard person. She dreamed of a better future so she never lost her sense of hope. She displayed kindness towards the animals instead of hurting them. She modeled kindness and acceptance which are two ideas I try to model in my life.
    Also, she didn't really seem like a morning person and I can relate.
    [​IMG]

The character I least connected with was the prince. He wasn't a bad guy. He didn't have much personality or motivation. Was he a good guy? All I know from the film is he liked horses, dancing, and pretty blonds. There wasn't anything there to like or dislike.

Side Thought: I know we reference the progression of princesses and villains, but the princes really needed to develop more something.

3.). Scene Analysis

The scene when Cinderella enters Lady Tremaine's room after Gus was discovered in Anastasia's tea cup showed the nature of the relationship between Cinderella and her step-mother. The animators use light and shadows to frame Cinderella and Lady Tremaine. When Cinderella enters the room, she is bathed in light though the room is filled with shadows. The huge room overwhelms Cinderella's slender frame just as Lady Tremaine is about to overwhelm Cinderella with work. The dark and light purple colors that saturate the room are colors beginning to be used as "villain" colors.
    [​IMG]

Lady Tremaine is in shadow as Cinderella walks toward her.
    [​IMG]

The walk is from the perspective of Cinderella. The slow music and slow pace convey a sense of dread and helplessness.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tremaine remains in shadow for most of the walk only being seen when Cinderella is close to the bed. Unlike Cinderella, Lady Tremaine is comfortable in her bed sipping tea and petting her cat.
    [​IMG]

Cinderella is in a location far from the door with little escape when Lady Tremaine punishes Cinderella. Lady Tremaine never allows Cinderella to explain what happened or defend herself because she had already decided what had happened. Lady Tremaine called the incident a cruel prank because she would have used such a trick on someone she didn't like. She judges Cinderella based on what she would do not Cinderella's actions.

This scene shows Lady Tremaine's power over Cinderella, and Cinderella's helplessness in the face of that control.

6.) Dialogue

Lady Tremaine: "Of couse, I said if."
    Drizella: "Oh! IF."
    Lady Tremaine and her daughters laugh/chuckle.

This piece of dialogue when Cinderella left the room after securing Lady Tremaine's agreement to attend the ball showed the viewer the true cruelty of Lady Tremaine. She gave Cinderella hope of attending the ball when she knew she had no intention of allowing it. The laughter with her daughters showed her lack of respect for other people.

8.) Connections and Progressions

The film opened with the introduction of the book much like Snow White. Both characters, Snow and Cinderella, faced difficulties after the death of their father. Both characters possessed a step-mother who wanted to harm them. The film Cinderella cast the step-mother as the villain here just as Snow White did. However, Lady Tremaine's character appeared more evil than the Evil Queen though the word evil is not part of her name. While both antagonists are evil, the viewer only sees the Evil Queen try to kill Snow White while the viewer watches as Lady Tremaine continuously abused Cinderella. The Evil Queen had a clear motivation for her actions as she wanted to kill Snow White so she once more would be the fairest in the land. In this film, Lady Tremaine lacked a better reason for her actions against Cinderella other than she needed a servant.

While having a poor relation act as a servant or caretaker in a family was not uncommon during the presumed time period (mid 19th century based on clothing design), Lady Tremaine appeared to find pleasure or satisfaction in her cruelty to Cinderella. To start with, she took pleasure in adding unnecessary tasks to Cinderella's chore list. She smiles and pets Lucifer as she orders Cinderella.
    [​IMG]

For another example, she gave Cinderella false hope when she promised that Cinderella could attend the ball if she found appropriate clothing and completed her chores. Then, she watched with glee as her daughters attacked Cinderella. An attack that she instigated with her comments.
    [​IMG]

Next, she imprisoned Cinderella in her room to prevent Cinderella from her chance to try on the glass slipper. Finally, she destroyed the forgotten slipper hoping to keep Cinderella from marrying the prince. Did she really need a servant that badly?

Cinderella's step-mother Lady Tremaine continued the stereotype that step-mothers of little girls are evil.

9.) Iconic Shot

[​IMG]

This shot shows the Archduke placing the slipper on Cinderella's foot. Cinderella's life is about to change with this action. Though she had danced and fallen in love with the prince, she would not have been able to marry him if she hadn't tried on the shoe. While the prince was looking for her, he didn't know her name or where to start. Also, this moment ends Cinderella's servitude to Lady Tremaine and her daughters.

10.) Pin Representation
    [​IMG]

This pin shows Cinderella's completed transformation which was part of her fulfilled wish. The sparkles show the magic of the transformation while Cinderella's face shows her amazement. The animation of this scene was very beautiful and impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    PixiePost likes this.
  17. sbmpins

sbmpins Pin Trader

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0

Ok. Here's my first attempt at one of these.

1) overall impression
    Wow. For a film titled Cinderella, I really felt it was more about the animals with the humans just supplying the motivations for the animal's choices. One of my favorite plays is Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead. It's about 2 minor characters in Hamlet and what they were doing while Hamlet plays out. This movie felt like the same thing: here's what the animals are doing while Cinderella's story takes place. And can I also mention, I was surprised when the intro to the story flat out stated Cinderella was "abused". I didn't think an animated story from the 50s would use that word.

2) connections to characters
    I really felt the least connected to the humans in this story. Anymore, I tear up at any movie. I bawl at pixar movies. This movie gave me little emotion for a human character. Tremaine is evil and her daughters are spoiled brats. Cinderella doesn't stand up for herself to any of them. She shows more emotion at the clock tower getting her up in the morning than she shows to them. Ironically, she doesn't appear mad at the clock tower when it ends her magical evening. The other humans were one dimensional.
    I felt the most emotion for Bruno when he gets in trouble when Lucifer frames him. He's so innocent and yet penalized. Cinderella even tells him to change his dreams which seems pretty two-faced considering she just sang about making dreams come true. Full disclosure, I had two dogs sleeping on me while I watched the movie.

3) scene
    Throughout the movie, Tremaine just seems evil. While she wants the best for her daughters, she seems to enjoy treating Cinderella dreadfully even when they won't benefit. When Cinderella is in her daze and goes to her room to change for the Duke's arrival, we see Tremaine realizing Cinderella is the girl from the ball. We see her march up to the tower and there are close ups of her eyes. Her eyes stand out throughout the movie. They are usually the same turquoise color as her jewelry. But in this sequence, her eyes are green. Green with envy! Tremaine seems so calm and collected and this is the one time her emotion shows through. It's jealously that drives her to treat Cinderella as she does.

5) symbol
    I would like to consider the glass slippers. The fairy godmother said she appeared because Cinderella still believed. I wonder if Cinderella' s belief was so strong that her evening would continue that it made the slipper stay even after the expiration date. It was the slipper that made her dream come true for real. So belief created the slipper and slipper created dream in reality.

9) iconic shot
    I have always heard that the scene of Cinderella's ruined dress transforming into the gown was Walt's favorite scene. So any time I think of the film, that's the first thing that pops in my head.

10) pin
    Pin 60230 shows the iconic shot and thus best represents the film to me.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MerlinEmrys likes this.
  18. NutMeg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Omfg I wrote a super long analysis and near the end I somehow accidentally closed the tab. When I went back to the thread my post was saved at a much earlier draft. D': Let's see if I can remember everything I typed and get it posted by the time Merlin wakes up... ugh...

19. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    237   0   0

I most connected with Gus Gus. Not really knowing what all is going on at times but learning from those around him. Barging into certain situations without forethought, but having friends there to help bail him out of trouble. And a love of food! :) When his friend is in trouble he musters up all his strength to help her out.

I least connected with the stepsisters. They were downright cruel to Cinderella. I'm super close to all of my siblings and couldn't imaging treating them like Anastasia and Drizella do Cinderella.

Sing Sweet Nightingale. It serves as a juxtaposition between the ugliness of the sisters (both physical and personality-wise) to the beauty of Cinderella. Both the flute and the singing were sharp and off-tune, which transitions mid-song to Cinderella's soft and smooth vocals. The movie succeeded immensely in this.

Nightingales aren't the flashiest of birds; they're a rather plain shade of brown. However, their song is one of the sweetest in the animal kindgom. This is reflective of Cinderella herself. When the sisters sing/play the flute, it seems as if they are just reciting any old song. When Cinderella sings it, however, she has much more feeling, relating to the nightingale in the song on a very personal level.

It also gave some physical comedy to a character besides Lucifer, when Anastasia's finger gets stuck in the flute.

[​IMG]

I chose Cinderella's pink dress. It symbolizes the power of friendship and kindness (because of the way she treated all of the animals, they banded together to help her in her time of need), and it also symbolizes Cinderella's hope for a new life. She goes to her room after a long day of doing chore after chore, convinced she is not going to go to the ball. The dress is revealed to her and her hope is renewed, so she puts it on and races downstairs. Shortly after, it gets ripped apart by her stepsisters, and with the dress destroyed she loses nearly all of her hope. What little spark is left summons her Fairy Godmother, who transforms her lost hope into a glorious gown fit for a princess. This enables her to attend the ball and find her Prince Charming.

[​IMG]

One of the most iconic and memorable scenes in the movie is the Fairy Godmother using her magic to transform all of the objects and animals into a means for Cinderella to attend the ball and follow her dreams. The ultimate and most spectacular transformation, and probably most remembered outside of the pumpkin carriage, is Cinderella's dress. (I couldn't resist this specific shot, which looks as if a halo has appeared over Cinderella.)

I think I've made my feeling about the transformation scene pretty clear by now. ;) I really do think it is one of the most iconic moments in the entire film, and a great summary of the film's main message (if you have hope, even in dire situations, great things can happen). So I wanted to find a pin to showcase that specific moment. This pin captures the scene wonderfully.
    [​IMG]
    Pin# 39098 - Disney Auctions - Mystical Figures (Cinderella and the Fairy Godmother)

PixiePost likes this.
  20. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    237   0   0

This line also stuck out to me, but I got a different vibe from it. She's lived under Lady Tremaine's rule for most of her life, and knows that if Bruno were to attack Lucifer and get caught by Lady Tremaine, he would be in very real danger (kicked out of the house, put down, etc.). She was being pragmatic and realizing that the penalty for some dreams is worse than giving up on or changing that dream.

21. coblj003

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

As per the usual, please allow me to complete my review when I get home from work...

MerlinEmrys likes this.
  22. pincrazy

pincrazy Active Member

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Finally, another princess movie! So less stressful, emotionally.... : D

1) Overall impression, this is Disney's formula for making every little girl's dream come true. Finding a prince to fall in love and rescue you, romantic hopeful songs, and the iconic Happily Ever After. What I liked was, it's hopeful. What i didn't like was how dark Lady Tremaine was, a line of movies that make mothers/step mothers evil....seems to use the intense haunting focus on eyes similar to Snow White's the old hag.

2) Character most connected with was Cinderella because she seemed the impossibly perfect main character, there didn't seem to be anything she couldn't struggle through. Character less connected with was Bruno, he didn't seem to have much purpose, except to help scare Lucifer at the end, supposedly.

3) The sequence I picked was, as The Prince noticed Cinderella in the backdrop, lost. Seemed an inplausible idea, that she would enter a Ball and be wandering through the castle to find it, but is used as the introduction of the 2 characters as a couple, and becomes the iconic idea of love at first site.

4) A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes, seems like a statement more than a title to a song, but it's what Cinderella sings to be hopeful, and I would guess a theme for Walt to reuse for his own thoughts and dreams.

10) pin# 31708 is the scene when fairy godmother transforms Cinderella with her pumpkin coach

As a whole this movie didn't seem to have the artwork as in previous pieces, less dimensional or layering/depth, but started to develop and integrate magical transitions. The sequences with transforming a pumpkin into a coach, Cinderella's dress, and the mice into horses seem magical. These movies have an innocence that reminds me of childhood....an age of wonder, happiness, and pretend : )

23. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    428   0   0

Hey gang! The Prof is in a mini vaca until this evening. So you've got a bit more time than normal. ;P

NutMeg likes this.
  24. coblj003

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

So now we're in the 1950's, the decade of hopes and dreams in the making for the Disney Company. Time to review the 12th animated feature(6. Saludos Amigos, 7. Three Caballeros, 8. Make Mine Music, 9. Melody Time, 10. Fun and Fancy Free, 11. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad) as well as the 2nd Princess chapter, Cinderella. I do recall watching this as a kid, of which the scene that truely comes to mind is the Stepsisters destroying the Dress. It was around this time I remember reading the Brother's Grimm version (cut toes, heels, and eyes galore...), though Disney was able to showcase that later in their adaptation of Into the Woods.
    [​IMG]

1. What is your overall impression of the film? Some possible talking points include: what you did or did not like about it; what about the film has stuck with you; what did you find different on this viewing; how would modern audiences respond to this (for the older films)… The list goes on. Hahah!

As a princess movie, this one seems to get alot of PC flack, but I clearly believe that as an early Disney movie I would rate it 4 stars. As one of the ones I do watched before, I was able to dwell more on how improved the pacing has become since Snow White. The soundtrack is great and easy to listen; and while the story itself of course is the basic fairy tale, Disney was able to contribute some of it's signature additions such as cutesy animals and ideal, likable, and relatable heroines as well as interestingly detailed villains. Behind the scenes wise, I think this has the most memorable voice actor cast in a Disney Movie thus far: Eleanor Audley as Lady Tremaine is the precursor to Maleficent and the Haunted Mansion's Madam Leota; Lucille Bliss, as Anastasia Tremaine, is recognizable as a later Smurfette; Rhoda Williams, as Drizella Tremaine, would be featured in Disney's Carousel of Progress as the Mother/Teenage daughter from 1964-1972. James Macdonald, as Jaq/Gus, is clearly recognizable as the voice actor of Chip(Not Dale) which the two mice seemed to emulate.

2. What specific character did you connect most with and why? AND! What character did you find yourself the least connected to and why?

I think most closely relate to the Duke, always tired and stuck at work until it is done lol. As a matter of principle, I don't think I can relate to stepmother Lady Tremaine, just her scheming and her behavior to her step daughter reminded me of the book "A Child called It" and how the mother would hide or make excuses for her son that she abused and how she encouraged her other children to follow suit.

5. Choose one specific symbol in the film to analyze. A symbol is typically something inanimate, an object, rather than a character. So don’t say “Brer Bear represents dumb people,” as that’s more of a character analysis than a symbol. Rather, think about specific objects (jewelry, clothing, houses, food, weapons, etc.) What does this symbol mean and how does that meaning impact the film?

This goes with Timeerkat's iconic shot, but I don't think that the halo presented above her was an accident, or at least not necessarily of the heavenly angel kind persay. Halos in the Art world usually signified the spiritual holiness of angels or saints, but also of the dominion of royalty(or in this case future royalty). A fountain at the Magic Kingdom also uses this premise(with a floating crown) to similar effect.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. What connections or progressions do you see in this film to past films? Example: how does Sleeping Beauty progress (or digress?) the princess archetype built in Cinderella? Be specific!

The Adventures of Ichabod and the headless horseman was definitely evident in the chase scene. Not only are the riders in black/red reminiscent of the headless horseman himself by trying to capture Cinderella, even the carriage driver looks similar to Ichabod being chased. The pumpkin getting smashed on the ground in Cinderella is almost the same as the final shot from that piece.
    Cinderella
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Adventures of Ichabod an Mr. Toad
    [​IMG]

9. What is the iconic shot of the film? What single frame of animation do you find to be the most memorable and why?

Timeerkat beat me to it, as what I thought was the best iconic shot of the movie so I'll include another iconic shot, the dance scene. This is her dream, her ultimate wish that she has wanted, what strikes me most about the scene is that it isn't about meeting the prince(she doesn't even know it's him), it's about meeting someone and falling in love against all odds. The scenery in the background is very reminiscent of the Pastoral Scene from Fantasia. Go figure this image is presented as the defacto Engagement/Marriage scene for the Disney company.

[​IMG]

10. What single pin do you think best represents this film for you? Why? Give us the pin number and post a picture!

I think this pin does a good job showcasing the scene Timeerkat provided. As a spinner, not only does it show the Fairy Godmother and Cinderella with the ruined dress, it demonstrates her miracle of turning those rages into an otherworldly dress from Cinderella's dreams.

Pin 91702 DSF - Cinderella - Cinderella and Fairy Godmother
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    PixiePost likes this.
  25. coblj003

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

Random Thoughts
    1. Does anyone else notice the trio of female mice(in green, blue, and red). Barring Huey, Duey, and Louis, do they represent the first in a future tradition of colored trios in Disney Animated features or was there another in the package films?

That series was awesome and I'm surprised Disney hasn't done more in that series. The artwork is from The Little Golden Book of Cinderella, illustrated by Retta Scott Worcester. I can tell you that pin is huge, I got it as a CM trade; it looks like a lanyard medal hanging down(didn't last long either).

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    watzshakinbacon likes this.