• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

The Pin You're "Never Going to Get"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pin You're "Never Going to Get"

Addicted to Alice Pins

Just here for the DMI codes; y'all have gone cray
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
In my time in this hobby, I have learned from the wise (but eternally youthful) collectors that you have to be patient. This advice is excellent and true, although I've really struggled with the idea that patient can encompass years, not mere weeks (ha).

So this thread isn't for sympathy or encouragement--it's just for us to share some of the hilarious, nonsensical, frustrating, what-have-you pins that you want that seem to require a bank robbery or a private detective to track down. They may not even be grails--they may just stubbornly refuse to materialize or only seem to do so in extreme or absurd circumstances.

To start, I'll offer mine:

One of my 2 remaining Alice grails is a LE25 pin from a mystery set. LIMITED. TO. TWENTY-FIVE. Two-five. I saw it offered on eBay *once* in the 6 years I've been collecting, and it was "PinPics graded" and had an asking price of $1,500. Shockingly, I passed. ;)

BUT THAT'S NOT THE PIN I WANNA SHARE!

I've been collecting Snow White for 5 minutes and have 1 unobtained grail, which popped up on eBay recently. Behold:

69f0674302f3c369f7f8d02fbefdb540.jpg

%$#=[%%*$#*)*%@@^

So, @AshleyV, which one of us is going for it??? Or do we do shared custody? :D:D:D:D:D

LOL I thought you were going for "grail" level.. but now, you mean those.. super duper grails..

I can't even find an ebay listing for this pin

pin40542th200

Ha ha, it doesn't have to be Grail or Mega-Grail. Someone might have a pin that is worth $5 but is NEVER EVER around. My issue with the Snow White pin is that the asking price is $2,400!!!!! (And trust me, I know: "They can ASK whatever they want!" But tell me I'm going to be able to float a $500 "best offer" on that thing--if I had the money to do so, anyway.)

Ha ha, it doesn't have to be Grail or Mega-Grail. Someone might have a pin that is worth $5 but is NEVER EVER around. My issue with the Snow White pin is that the asking price is $2,400!!!!! (And trust me, I know: "They can ASK whatever they want!" But tell me I'm going to be able to float a $500 "best offer" on that thing--if I had the money to do so, anyway.)

oh got it.. yes, i'd still answer with that pin. I've never seen if in any traders OR COLLECTIONS!

I have tried to make peace with the fact that I will never own the Beauty and the Beast Beloved Tales pin. Some days it works better than others.

But my true grail pin is on Ebay right now. It's only the 3rd time I've ever seen it. It's not anything special, just a pin that came on a hat. I don't know how long it was available for sale, for a guesstimate on how many should be out there. Way more than 25 though. The first two times it sold for about $50ish. This time it originally went up at $150 or $175 BIN (and an annoying $7.15 shipping, please, when you price pins that high, just include free shipping), eventually the seller dropped it to 110BIN. There is a Best Offer option, but I figure I'd get laughed at if I offered the $40 I would prefer to pay. I sometimes tell myself to save up some Paypal from Swagbucks so that I can offer, say $75 and have it be "free money." But I really don't roll that way, and I end up spending the money on several pins from Japan that are $5-$30 each.

It's this one:

RS_R60f7779e73.png

Finding some of my HTF Paris ISO's is tough, because I've mostly encountered people who have these pins for trade to be from Paris, but I am not willing to pay $13 for shipping..

If the pin really is HTF, and has the potential to escalate in price, just pay the $13 shipping. You will regret it less than watching the pin sell for $500 later on.

<--Says the person who didn't want to spend $20+shipping on Snow White and Cinderella Beloved Tales pins because they were $12.95 pins. *cries*

Finding some of my HTF Paris ISO's is tough, because I've mostly encountered people who have these pins for trade to be from Paris, but I am not willing to pay $13 for shipping..

I actually just made my first international trade because of what @hopemax said.. no one in america would make the trade with me, but someone in the UK did. It was def worth paying $13 shipping instead of having to try to buy the pin or trade it at its $150-200 value in america

My main problem is that I don't like to buy pins because I find it much more fun to trade. So my hard to find pin is a crappy little hidden mickey that's probably all over eBay but I'm not buying it because I'm stubborn. I actually saw it on a CM lanyard once but passed it by because I thought I'd already had it. Four years later I've never found it again, not even with other guests at the Epcot tables and it's getting on my nerves.

lUB45X1.png

Also the villains profiles solely because I refuse to report that kind of insane price gouging.

I was considering doing a recreation of the Scoop Sanderson Super Jumbo board, except two of the pins were not on pinpics. As it turned out one looks like another pin just without the words(mistakes happen), but one was a pre-production pin(le 2) that ended up on a DCL cruiseline auction, The stitch crush n gusher opening day pin. I think I had the pdf of it on my now dead mac book, but I can no longer pull it up on the Disney site archives either. If only...

Another pin I wish I could track back down was one I traded away, it was a preproduction of the Haunted Mansion Amenities Frame Set Completer(gated community). I don't know if he still has it or not, but I would at least like to get the Framed Set if it ever ends up for sale/trade; I haven't seen one in quite awhile...

Last edited:

You can try but those carousels are expensive. Maybe $1000 would be accepted?

My main problem is that I don't like to buy pins because I find it much more fun to trade. So my hard to find pin is a crappy little hidden mickey that's probably all over eBay but I'm not buying it because I'm stubborn. I actually saw it on a CM lanyard once but passed it by because I thought I'd already had it. Four years later I've never found it again, not even with other guests at the Epcot tables and it's getting on my nerves.

lUB45X1.png

Also the villains profiles solely because I refuse to report that kind of insane price gouging.
Wow! That's a throw back to the early HM days. And I mean early. The year before that they didn't have the HM on them and were called Cast Lanyard pins. BTW, not to drive you even crazier, but did you know there is a version of it without the HM?

Wow! That's a throw back to the early HM days. And I mean early. The year before that they didn't have the HM on them and were called Cast Lanyard pins. BTW, not to drive you even crazier, but did you know there is a version of it without the HM?
Yes, I do! I actually think I have half the set with the HM and and half the set without. They don't look different enough for me to mind either way- it's not like I'm selling them or anything haha.

I think I mentioned it in the Grails thread, but I'll never own this beauty.

pin80947th200

LE 15! That beats you, Ann! I've never seen it listed anywhere and no one is trading it. The pin may not exist. If I ever fall one Toad pin short of being a completist, I will just say this pin doesn't exist, deem myself complete, and go on with my life.

tenor.gif

I think I mentioned it in the Grails thread, but I'll never own this beauty.

pin80947th200

LE 15! That beats you, Ann! I've never seen it listed anywhere and no one is trading it. The pin may not exist. If I ever fall one Toad pin short of being a completist, I will just say this pin doesn't exist, deem myself complete, and go on with my life.

tenor.gif

That sounds like a great plan!

This pin:
pin78741th200

It was expensive when I first started collecting but now it's astronomically expensive. I wish I would have bought it way back when it was just expensive. Now I've made peace with it being a lovely dream.

A success story, (hope it's okay to post) is this pin:
thumb130_201510292668.jpg

For awhile I doubted it even existed. No one was trading it and it never came up on ebay... until one day, there it was!

Sweet side note, someone kept outbidding me but I finally won it. I came to find out, when they messaged me hoping that I had won it, that there was another, well-known DPF'er who was the other bidder. They were trying to win it for me. :)

So, don't lose hope!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back