Traveling with pins

Discussion in 'The Help Desk' started by PlebianPirate15, Jul 29, 2018.

1. PlebianPirate15

PlebianPirate15 New Member

0   0   0

Preparing for the pin event in advance. Does anyone have any experience taking a Zuca bag on an airplane? Will it fit in the overhead bin? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

2. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    73   0   0

Good question, I know there are people who know.

3. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0

I feel like I read this somewhere that Zuca bags might not fit. Your best bet is to get the dimensions of your bag and check again the checked bag dimensions. I personally don't have one but am super jealous! I took my pins in a binder and a small pin bag last year, and I was exhausted from carrying them around. Also, they don't let you sit on the floor when you're in line for the event (which I assume is what the question is in reference to), but people who were sitting on their zuca bags were ok.

DeputyDonald likes this.
  4. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

I haven't travelled with a Zuca bag, but I have travelled with pins. If you aren't checking your pins (not that I'm recommending you do that), make sure that you allow extra time to clear security. Traveling with all that shiny metal, it's almost a given that you'll be chosen for further screening (I've never had that not happen when bringing pins with me), and it probably wouldn't hurt to let the screeners know that you've got bags/binders of pins with you when you start the screening process. I can't tell you how many times I've given a 'Pin Trading 101' seminar at TSA checkpoints to very curious screeners lol.

As far as the Zuca bag goes, as I've said, I've never travelled with one, but I agree with @watzshakinbacon about this. I do fly fairly often and my instinct about this is that as long as the bag fits your chosen airline's dimensions for carryon baggage, I don't think it'll be a problem. I don't think airlines care what type of carryon luggage you have, only that it complies with their given dimensions, which I believe you can find on their individual websites.

krand1276 likes this.
  5. Palancar

Palancar Pinpics: Palancar

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

In the past traveling with underwater photo equipment in hard cases. Some planes have larger underseat and overhead baggage storage areas than others, especially the commuter planes.

6. krand1276

krand1276 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0

:p:p
    So true! The only place I wasn’t second screened for them was Anchorage. I was already chatting with the TSA agent and told him we had pins and were always stopped everywhere else. I asked why didn’t it happen that time? He said they have a button that lets them look layer by layer at the bags in there. The shape and size of the pins weren’t anything they needed to double check. He also joked that the other TSA locations weren’t trained well enough. :p

A screener in Tokyo completely took the pin bag apart. It has velcroed pages and zippers. Undid everything! That took almost 10 minutes, then more to put it back together. I also had one guy here in the states, take my bag aside, ask what was in it. “Pins.” “Is there anything in there that might prick or poke me?” “Well, they ARE pins...” I probably said that with a little too much sarcasm. Note: not a very good idea to be smart-alecky with the TSA.

slbrabham likes this.
  7. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

I agree that it isn't wise to be smart-alecky with TSA, but in your defense: if anyone is going to say anything that (for lack of a better word) stupid, varying degrees of sarcasm will be a natural response from just about anybody. :rolleyes:

krand1276 likes this.
  8. lynn99

lynn99 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    133   0   0

Some Zucas are designed to fit in the overhead, some are not. If it has the dual rear wheels (sport version), it will probably NOT fit. The "business" version is designed to fit. (putting it up there wheels out works better). But, since airplanes vary, best to check (we fly southwest, and sometimes delta and have not had any problems on "regular" jets).

And yes, we almost always get pulled aside for extra screening. They usually pull every book out and flip through every page. (the only times we have not been pulled aside was at MCO - but those are the exception rather than the rule)