WDW Annual Pass Expert Advice Please!

Discussion in 'Disney Chat' started by TinyTink, May 1, 2018.

1. TinyTink

TinyTink Africa-The Real Animal Kingdom DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Hi everyone - Pleased to share that one of our daughters will be attending University reasonably close to WDW. She is already asking for an annual pass -- Any quick intel (a) How Much, (b) Student Discounts, (c) Does it matter when during the year it is purchased (d) any discount for us as parents who live out of state, but will probably be visiting reasonably often and (e) any other information that we should know in general?
    Thanks everyone!

2. khossler

khossler Moana and Toy Story Collector!

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

I’m not sure how long you have to be at a residence to get fluoride resident pricing but my husband and I got two AP and it was right at $1600 I think.

TinyTink likes this.
  3. khossler

khossler Moana and Toy Story Collector!

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

And it’s good for one year from the first date used is how it was explained to us. So we bought in December and used in December so we renew in December.

TinyTink likes this.
  4. swscref

swscref Active Member

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

If you are a DVC member, you can get a discount on an AP that way as well.

TinyTink likes this.
  5. MerlinEmrys

MerlinEmrys Hicitus Pinicus!

Rating - 100%
    410   0   0

To my knowledge, there is no discount on AP. Your daughters, once they establish residency, can apply for a Florida AP which is considerably cheaper. Parents will have to get regular ones.

If you find that they give discofor students or teachers, please let me know! XD

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

TinyTink likes this.
  6. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    484   0   0

(a) How Much
    Depends on the type of pass, but as @MerlinEmrys said, once they establish residency, they can get the Florida resident AP.....however, usually, you cannot establish a residency in a state based upon going to school there....there might be ways around it (not living on campus, that sort of stuff)...

(b) Student Discounts,

None

(c) Does it matter when during the year it is purchased
    No. It's one year from activation date (first day you enter the parks).

(d) any discount for us as parents who live out of state, but will probably be visiting reasonably often

No.

and (e) any other information that we should know in general?

Discounts for food are few & far between, unless they have a special going on (like they did in 2016-2017 for the 45th anniversary of WDW). With an AP, you get free downloads of pictures taken by the PhotoPass photographers and ride photos.

TinyTink likes this.
  7. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    410   0   0

Photopass is only for certain levels of the pass. Gold and up I believe.

TinyTink likes this.
  8. swscref

swscref Active Member

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

Unless it's a renewal. Then it starts the day after the expiration of the prior pass, unless they are running a special.

Most restaurants offer a 10% discount for annual passholders and almost any merchandise you buy currently comes with a 20% discount. You can see everything that is offered here.
    https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/passholder-program/passholder-benefits-and-discounts/

TinyTink likes this.
  9. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    484   0   0

Yup, but based upon the OP's question, it sounds like new passes all around.

Yup, table service restaurants. For those of us in CA, we are used to discounts at QS too. I know one thing to look at is AP or Disney Visa for discounts and if you go many times and like to drink alcohol, Tables in Wonderland might be a good idea.

TinyTink likes this.
  10. swscref

swscref Active Member

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

Although there are a couple of restaurants on the list that take quick serve, you are absolutely correct. It appears 99% of them are table service. I never really noticed since we usually get a meal plan when we go. One of those things you just have to cost out and see if it's worth it as opposed to paying directly.

TinyTink likes this.
  11. TinyTink

TinyTink Africa-The Real Animal Kingdom DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Thanks everyone; super helpful to have these links and we'll look into seeing how she might get Florida residency. And yes, of course, Merlin - we will definitely let you know if there are any University-related discounts.... Off to do some Disney Research!

MerlinEmrys likes this.
  12. MerlinEmrys

Rating - 100%
    410   0   0

I think you have to have a Florida driver's license and a utility bill / bank statement in the person's name with Florida addresses. :) good luck!