• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

What Do You Look For In Traders

Status
Not open for further replies.
What Do You Look For In Traders

lunarbasket

Active DPF Member
Rating - 100%
169   0   0
Last night I went to my first pin trading event and had a blast! Everyone was really nice and traded just because they knew I was just starting out, and i'd like to expand my traders but I feel like a kid in a candy shop and have no idea where to start :lol:

In April NJ has their "Trade Till You Fade" for a weekend and I was told that there are roughly 100-150 traders from all over, which naturally has me :anxious:

So i'm looking to build up my traders, but I wanted to know how everyone else goes about doing it. Do you look for pins and characters you like? Decide based on how many people are wanting it on pinpics? Do you buy off ebay/DPF/DS? Buy in bulk?

My traders right now aren't anything special, so i'm hoping I can expand them by April...Any tips or help is greatly appreciated! :)

I love to trade just for the fun of trading, but I do try and get as many Goofy pins and Chip & Dale pins as I can (they are my favorite characters)...when trading in person, I look to see that the pins are not damaged in any way (I am very picky about this because I'd feel uncomfortable trading damaged pins). I have also purchased several traders (as well as pins for my collection) for great prices from fellow DPFers to help build my trader list. I have also recently begun looking for traders that other DPF members are looking for so that I can increase my trading presence online.

Everyone is different however it seems stitch and jessica are highly desired pins I dont collect these but I do pick them up when I get the chance as trading fodder lol

For me as Ive done this quite a few times bought pins for trading to get pins off my wants list I tend to go for PTN's if I see some cheap ones on ebay as I have the PTN group page saved on my browser so I can check the wants vs trades ratio quite quickly if I see a cheap pin.

I also try and find bargains etc on ebay to get pins that highly wanted to low trading values, not easy but Ive had a few lol and can pay off.

Im trying to get traders for Mousemeets in the UK at the end of April so I shall be doing the same as you haha

I will trade and trade for any pin as long as it is clearly stated the condition of a pin. I had someone tell me once a pin had a small scratch. I appreciate that information and still traded as it was a ver small scratch. I think communication is the key to success. If I have traded for a "damaged" pin by accident, I will put it in the back of my book in a special section and let people know in advance of its problem. I had a really nice princess pin that was missing a jewel but a lady really like it and said she can find a jewel at Michaels (craft store) to fix it.

At the next PTN she showed it to me and you could not tell the difference. My family and I collect because its fun, something we do as a family and we love the interaction with people regardless if we get something we want or its just a trade to get a different trader. We also like to make other people happy especially when a pin we have may complete their set.

Pin collecting is FUN!

Hey Dan,

Great idea on the damaged pins! I've just always steered clear of them thinking no one would really want them. I love the lady's idea of replacing the missing jewel too - something else I wouldn't have thought of! I learn something new here every day. :)

I trade for fun when I have just open edition and not highly wanted pins to rotate my traders for my lanyard but I tend not to trade for fun with my LE pins as I try to get pins that are actually on my wants list. I know that makes me kind off mean etc when someone asks if a certain pin is for trade and I dont like to say no but at the moment Im trying to concentrade on me for a change lol

I trade for fun when I have just open edition and not highly wanted pins to rotate my traders for my lanyard but I tend not to trade for fun with my LE pins as I try to get pins that are actually on my wants list. I know that makes me kind off mean etc when someone asks if a certain pin is for trade and I dont like to say no but at the moment Im trying to concentrade on me for a change lol

I don't think that makes you mean! I actually had a few offers for my DA Pluto that were for rack/HM pins and I chose to hold onto it because i'm hoping to at least get a pin that's on my wants for it.

Thanks everyone for your feedback :) I've been collecting pins for 4 years now, so up until a month ago I never bought to trade. This is all new to me lol

Well, if it is going to be a trader, then I must have it on it's original card. I know that might seem weird, but if I am trading it to someone else, I do not want that to fall through because I do not have the card. To determine whether I want it, I try to use PinPics whenever possible to see if by acquiring the pin, will I be able to trade it for something on my want list. Mind you, it would still be a gamble on my part, but by getting the trader pin, it helps the odds.

It could have a lot of people wanting it, but if all those wants do not have anything I would want in trade, I would pass in buying it. Since I am trading for older pins, I try to shop for bargains whenever I can as I realize that newer pins, even LE250s from DS.com might not work for an older Scrooge McDuck pin; so I have to think outside the box as to what I might buy for trading.

This is a fun hobby, but I treat it serious to the point that I want everyone who I buy from and who I trade with to feel happy for dealing with me and would repeat if the opportunity was to come again.

Last edited:
1.) Try and pick popular characters and/or popular series. It helps if you can anticipate the hot pins as they come up, before they sell out.

2.) Since you're still new, a wide variety probably wouldn't hurt, both in characters and edition sizes/types. But only a few of the less popular characters, or you'll get stuck with them.

3.) Watch for great deals, both on eBay and the boards. Having some older stuff definitely doesn't hurt.

4.) Big and beautiful doesn't hurt, either. :)

For me, personally, ds.com pins make the best traders. I keep some park around, but over the years, I find I get stuck with them a lot. DSF and WDI are nice if you can get them, but they're not the gold nuggets some think they are (they often go to the discount bins). Paris and Japan pins have always done well for me.

Even though I collect Jessica and Tinker Bell, Stitch trades better for me than any other character, hands down. I barely trade my Fab 5 away, so I tend to avoid buying them now.

For myself, I want a good condition pin with no coat of yucky on it (this includes smoking grime). The card doesn't matter so much to me, but it's nice to have it. I've started putting round sticky stickers on the back of my Trader cards, and putting them in ziplocks and keeping them with me. I can't take them around on cards, I have too many- but at least this way, I have the backers if someone wants them.

I agree abyssian28, DS.com pins almost never have more traders than wants. Also, get UP, Stitch, Jessica, and Tink pins. Remember, you'll also be able to get these types of pins during the event too so just keep an eye on ebay (don't buy lots...) and on DPF Sales Board and I'm sure you'll build a collection in no time.

This was really helpful, thanks! :) Now if I can just nail my job interview Monday and have a steady source of income, I can start buying!

Nicole (Abyssinian28) had it right!!

Stitch and Jessica trade well stateside and Chip/Dale do well in Japan and Europe. We have very little luck with Fab 5, so we don't generally choose them for traders. Haunted Mansion pins will generally do well if they are interesting...duh...and many of the NBC pins also. We would recommend a variety of LEs as well as too many of a particular edition size may limit your trading ability.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back