• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

QUESTION What is a Zap?

SmallSmileyHappy.jpg
What exactly is a "Zap?"
SmallSmileyHappy.jpg

This is a question I have been asked at least a dozen times in the past year. Perhaps because I am so active, or perhaps because of zap mayhem... Whatever the reason, I get this P.M. on a regular basis.

Perhaps some of the other "zap pro's" can chime in with what I write here.

So, here are the questions, and some of the answers about zap's.

1. What is a zap? A zap is a random act of kindness. Someone thought of you, and wanted to make you smile, so they zapped you.
  2. How do I get zapped? Zaps can be whimsical and random. People who are having a bad week may get zapped, or they may not. People who are helpful, or offer kindness to fellow forum members may get a zap, or they may not.
  3. Is a zap only about pins? No. Zaps can be pins, stickers, a note with a picture, something crafty, snacks, cookies, candy... basically oh... ANYTHING. :)
  4. Are zaps only Grails? A resounding NO. You as a zapper can send something as simple as a cute hidden mickey, to as spectacular as a high dollar grail pin. It is the THOUGHT that counts, not the $ value.
The "heart and soul" or ”spirit” of zapping is just about being kind to someone else. It is in essence a random act of kindness that cannot be asked for, bribed for, or forced. There is no "earning" a zap with time put in for the community. Just because you zap other people, or because you’re new, or because your year has SUCKED... does not mean you will be getting a shower of zaps. Do those things mentioned increase the odd's of being zapped? Oh, heck yes!

Some other questions about zapping:
  1. When I get a zap, what do I do? A proper thank you is definitely in order. Some folks do a post here on the zap forum. Others just send a P.M. saying thank you if they know who it was. Whatever the method, please make sure folks know you appreciate the zap.
  2. What if I get zapped a pin that doesn't belong in my collection, or that I dislike? Can I get rid of it? :eek:Occasionally it is something you may not want to keep. This can be a sensitive topic. Many times, the zapper might be upset if you offer the zapped pin for trade, but occasionally not. My general policy, when i zap someone, is that it is the zap recipient’s choice: keep it or trade it, or maybe zap it forward to another person. I do not like it when I see a pin I zapped someone go up on the sales thread, but in the end, it is THEIR pin, and they can do as they wish. So, if I get zapped, it is the same. I may use it for a trade, but I would not sell it.
What is "fishing for zaps?"
This is something I am putting here, because I have had a few "zap fishers" in the last year. I can comfortably say those folks are no longer active, so rest assured, if you’re reading this, you are not one of them....
Zap fishing is when you purposely post things on threads
OVER and OVER such as "I never get zapped" or similar comments. A person may be fishing for a zap if they repeatedly say "My holy grail is never going to come to me because I am too broke!" Mentioning a holy grail or wish for a zap over and over on threads of known zappers, or in chat when known zappers are present can also be considered fishing for a zap. P.M.ing a known zapper and begging to be zapped is NOT acceptable, and is likely to get you in a spot where you never WILL be.

Does that mean that anyone who does that is fishing for a zap? Heck no! :rolleyes:
Sometimes we all honestly are just excited and wishful. Sometimes we do not realize we have said something 5x in the last week about it. I know I have!!!

Ask yourself: "Am I trying to get someone to feel they MUST zap me?" If the answer is no, you are not "zap fishing."

I truly hope this will help everyone, new or veteran, understand the heart and soul of ZAPPING.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. That's amazing to hear that people on this forum are such kind people. This concept is so wonderful, like to get mail and see you have been zapped, that would put a smile on anyone's face!
I'm new here so I wasn't sure what zapped was.
This thread is super informative.
Can't wait til I get some more pins, then maybe I can zap someone and make their day :) all you pin traders are amazing!

I had seen this term on the site and had no idea what it meant, i've been on other forums where gifting someone was just called "gifting", but i like the name "Zap". thanks for writing these informative topics, they make everything so much easier to understand.

How does one zap someone?

First you choose somebody you want to zap and then you pm somebody with a very large address book (like me) and ask them for the address. Zaps can be anything, not just pins. This time of year freshly made treats make wonderful zaps, but it could be something local that you send. For instance I live in Seattle so Salmon is a popular zap we send out.

Back