Why are these people able to post all these adverts promoting products

Discussion in 'The Help Desk' started by Damiens pins, Feb 17, 2018.

1. bookhugger

bookhugger I love books!

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

I wonder if this new forum software has that capability?

2. Palancar

Palancar Pinpics: Palancar

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

It does if the right plugin is added but with Xenforo good plugins cost money unlike Phpbb. It is just deciding on which plugin will best suite your needs. If not already aware we end up with one that worked in conjunction with the site stopforumspam..com in the account generating process, this helped alot.

3. Ksnuggles

Ksnuggles Resident Cake Baker Staff Member DPF Moderator DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0

I know the owner of this site has a spam plugin for this site and it is stopping a good number of them... even if it does not seem like it on what does make it through. The rest of the mods are on top of spammers as best we could. Usually there is one or two mods on at any given point and we delete and ban as soon as we see what does get through. However, it seems that most post between the hours of midnight and 5 am PST and not a lot of mods on at that time so we get a build up.

I know that other spam stoppers have been tried, not sure if the one you mentioned is the one in use or a not but we will pass it along to @Cicada for review.

Palancar and Connies_Hobby like this.
  4. Palancar

Palancar Pinpics: Palancar

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Understood it is basically a game of cat and mouse. I have dealt with it in the past and I feel y'alls pain. If it gets real bad it will even suck all the fun out of the forum for you. Like I said keep up the good work it is very much appreaciated by myself and I am sure the rest of the members here.

5. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

It's what @Ksnuggles has said. The owner of the site has anti-spam technology in place ... and believe it or not, it is working. All we can do is keep a close watch and ban the spammers and delete their posts as soon as we spot them. Please understand that as frustrating as this situation is, it's even more so for us. We are very appreciative of your understanding with this situation; we truly are doing the best we can to manage it.

At the end of the day, anything implemented is up to @Cicada as he owns and operates the forum. We have passed along your suggestions and concerns, but all final decisions rest with him.

timeerkat, Cicada and Nasubionna like this.
  6. Cicada

Cicada Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

We are using akismet, built-in post filtering, captchas, project honeypot, blacklists, as well as manual deletion/banning for the ones that do get through. Even still, some manage to make it through.

It's been a constant annoyance since...forever, really — and we're doing all we can to combat it.

There's a fine line between being too annoying to register/too restrictive for new registrants, and blocking spam registrations. If you make something too tedious to register for, some people may not go through the trouble.

Alternatively, we can make ALL new registrations need to be manually approved, but that's another challenge.

in the end, it's actually quite difficult to manage spam, as all blogs and forums have to deal with it.

If anyone has any other suggestions, i'm totally open, as I just rejected nearly 100 registrations that were placed in moderation queue for being suspected spam accounts. Most recently I just updated some more of the anti-spam measures to look at a longer history of IP addresses, emails and posts, to hopefully alleviate some of the repeat offenders.

Thank you to the mods and correspondents that help out; I rarely spend time on the actual forums posting, but I do check in every so often, and I'm aware that spam is becoming an issue and have looked at (and implemented) a few solutions every time it's brought up.

timeerkat likes this.
  7. Cicada

Cicada Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I am open to more moderators to help the current ones out, as it's a growing problem, so as to have better "coverage" over the forum throughout the day.

8. Ajk

Ajk Not so new anymore.

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0

I’m on the east coast and can help with those early morning pacific hours mentioned in an earlier post. I’m usually on by 7:30 AM ET and there are often quite a few that came in since folks went to sleep. Would be glad to help clean those up.

9. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Cheshirefied DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    91   0   0

Since it's been forever since I initially registered, I don't know what the current form may look like, but wondering if it's possible to include a section of relevant to the forum but "fun" questions (but requiring relevant answers)? Something like "what's your 'home' park?", "name five pin themes you collect", "when did you start collecting pins?", "what was your first pin?"? I don't know if there's a way to do something like that that might at least stop bots or make spammers have to actually answer relevant questions rather than presumably just input contact info and captcha images?

10. LittleBird

LittleBird Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    144   0   0

I don't want to jinx anything, but this issue seems to be less of a problem lately. So thank you for all the work you've been doing, @Cicada, @dancecats, @Ksnuggles, and other mods!