2020 Pin Event Update

Discussion in 'Disney Pin Discussion' started by figment919, Jul 9, 2020.

1. figment919

figment919 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    144   0   0

Celebrating Twenty Years of Disney Pins – 2020 Pin Trading Event
    UPDATE: During these unprecedented times, we continue to follow guidance from government and health officials for responsibly reopening and operating our theme parks and resorts and will be making adjustments to our annual pin trading event.

The 2020 Pin Trading Event, which was originally scheduled to be held in-person at World Showplace at Epcot on August 22-23, 2020, will instead be conducted as a virtual online event on a date and time to be announced in the near future. Guests will still have the chance to discover and purchase from the unique collection of pins created for this event and virtually connect with fellow pin fans to remember and reminisce on 20 years of pin trading.

For the past 20 years, we have gathered to celebrate the magic of pin trading. We’ve journeyed through time, shared Walt’s dream, gathered for a decade of memories, joined the circus, came face-to-face with Disney Villains, let our imaginations soar, had adventures like none other and now here we are at a new milestone. Although this event will take place virtually for the first time, we invite you to remember and reminisce, connect with old friends and make new ones in the community—the family we’ve built together, no matter where you are.

Please continue to check back here for details about the 2020 Virtual Pin Trading Event.

Subject to change or cancellation without notice.

2. Abyssinian28

Abyssinian28 DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0

As expected.

3. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Cheshirefied DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    96   0   0

Yeah, not surprising but still sad to not have the trading event.

4. Shelterkat

Shelterkat A Very Merry Unbirthday!

Rating - 100%
    401   0   0

Sad, and sorry for you folks that were planning on going.:(

5. slbrabham

slbrabham Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    78   0   0

Several Thoughts

1.) I’m curious to see the pin catalog. What will the pins look like! Will it be a clever continuation on previous themes or horrible Frankenstein monsters.
    2.) I wonder if they will sell a ticket to be able to enter the RSP or if all the pins will available to anyone like the merchandise for the castle collection.
    3.) Will they do one per household?
    4.) What is the virtual connection part?

6. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    132   0   0

Good questions.

slbrabham likes this.
  7. fuzzybunny

fuzzybunny DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    131   0   0

ve
    very good questions and what will be the cost

slbrabham likes this.
  8. FoolishMortal71

FoolishMortal71 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0

Even up to a few weeks ago I was hearing from inside sources that the event was happening but I think this is a safer idea. I'm still curious to see how the pins are being designed to this Emerald theme.

9. Sortlora

Sortlora Active Member

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0

What website do you check for these events?

10. figment919

figment919 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    144   0   0

WDW URL, "Things to do", "Events & Tours", "Merchandising Events". Pin Event is the first listed item.

pincrazy likes this.
  11. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    132   0   0

Question:
    There are the event pins (welcome pin, game set, goodbye set). If they do sell tickets to an rsp, will these 9ish pins be part of the package?

So many questions.

slbrabham likes this.
  12. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0

Being far from the parks, this might be something to watch for traders. Honestly - for as decent the quality is that the Loungefly pins/shop disney pins have been - selling out due to bots and the resale markup has been a very big deterrent against me even trying....

slbrabham likes this.
  13. Cheshirecat26

Cheshirecat26 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    102   0   0

It will be interesting to see how they set this up. I am curious at what the pins will look like. I am happy to hear they did not cancel it completely and are trying to do something on-line. What I would like to see is a zoom call where they have individuals from Disney pins talking about what may be coming out over the year or have artists talk about designing pins. I don't have high hopes for a general room where all participants can chat with each other. I think that would be a bit chaotic.

FoolishMortal71 likes this.
  14. Randakinskywalker

Randakinskywalker Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

I get it, but I'm still sad about it. 2020 is feeling like such a waste. An entire year is becoming increasingly more meaningless and boring. That's obviously the least of our problems but.

Anyway, I hope they release the catalogue before they post tickets for sale. I have a feeling the pins are going to be quite ugly if their last anniversary was anything to go by, and not even pin trading can redeem the cost of a ticket this year.

It'll be interesting to see how they handle the event going forward. Will they still do auctions and such like they've done in the past? Games? I'd think they could even do virtual trading boards if they committed to it. The pins they usually get in return are worthless anyway so it wouldn't be too much of a loss to let people use pin tabs to redeem board pins.

15. Gelatoni

Gelatoni Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I'm sure Disney can do something more professional than throw all attendees in a zoom call. They are a cable and online streaming company after all so it shouldn't be too hard to set up their own platform for events. If they go this route, it'll be more like Twitch than like Zoom.

If they can ship pins to any US address, it'll mean a lot of people who normally wouldn't attend due to flight + hotel costs could attend. I'd be interested if the pins are good and the prices are reasonable.

16. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    315   0   0

My thoughts on this:

- I am glad we finally have an answer for the fate of the event (cancelled, in-person, or virtual). I am relieved for the safety of everyone that they decided not to do an in-person event.
    - I am sorry for the people who were planning to go before COVID hit, to miss out on the excitement of the event, the trade boards, the great in-person trading, character meet and greets, games, and meeting up with friends and hanging out at the parks.
    - I am happy that I might potentially get to participate, since I would not have been able to go to the live event this year.
    - I am curious as to how registration and the gift pins will be handled. (RSP open to all? Free registration but it only grants access to the RSP with no extra perks? Paid registration that includes the gift pins? etc.)
    - I hope we get to see the catalog before registering! The pins have the potential to be really great or really....odd.

17. gargress

gargress (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ Marilyn :・゚✧ DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0

Super-hype about getting a chance to attend a virtual event! Altho hopefully everyone who wants to attend can attend.

18. tinkerbelle1956

tinkerbelle1956 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    216   0   0

Any updates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    315   0   0

None as of a few days ago when I checked. I'm hoping for some info soon, at the very least dates so I can mark them off on my calendar.

tinkerbelle1956 likes this.
  20. Ajk

Ajk Let's party like its 2019.

Rating - 100%
    120   0   0

Missing not being at the event today. :(

21. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    531   0   0

The humidity?

22. Ajk

Ajk Let's party like its 2019.

Rating - 100%
    120   0   0

No, because the event isn't happening. :) I was referring to the big 20th anniversary pin trading event that was cancelled.

23. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    531   0   0

LOL, I know. But think of all the humidity you're missing out on too!

TheMickeyMouseRules and Ajk like this.
  24. figment919

figment919 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    144   0   0

Standing in some line waiting for a Trade board to open, talking with old friends and making some new ones, looking at the pin previews of upcoming releases. So sad lol!!

Ajk, coblj003 and TheMickeyMouseRules like this.
  25. figment919

figment919 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    144   0   0

Miss seeing old friends,making some new ones, and the pin previews of upcoming releases. Not crazy about the theme but who knows what Disney might have pulled out of the hat. Living in Florida now its humid mid-May until mid-October, but you don't have to shovel humidity like snow lol!! Just have to look out for those hurricanes lol!!

coblj003 likes this.