• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

2021 Limited Edition Dolls

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got my Cindy 50th doll yesterday (she's perfect - NOW) - when I opened the box her head was spun around backwards, I took a quick pic to remember the occasion, lol. I've ordered so many of these over the years and opened and fixed up little things with the dolls that I wasn't taken that back by it as I was already prepared to open and do little this and thats....but at the same time you are like - COME ON! Did anyone else who got one notice if her head was actually secured with a tie of some sort? I was just curious since mine wasn't. Quality control this time - bad. Also, her head moves incredibly easy....more so than any of my 17 inch dolls. Maybe that's why it was spun around, who knows. I will also add...her dress comes with a ton of little plastic ties to keep the tulle in place, however it looked very flat. I removed them all and "poofed" it up a little and it looks so much better to me :)

51761055101_b15e94165d_b.jpg

Last edited:
Oh my gosh, what the heck?! That's too bizarre @Rapunz . It does sound like the head might have turned due to it being too loose. But that still should have been discovered upon quality checking. I guess they're getting relaxed to save money... I really like how you fluffed out her dress though! That looks way better than when she first arrived!

Last edited:
Well, it happened. I'm having buyer's remorse over the Designer Ariel doll. She just arrived today, and this is the first time I've ever contemplated returning a doll.

After all the pictures I saw, I feel like I got bait and switched by her color scheme. I believed it was a pink/blue theme from what I saw. And I was really looking forward to that. But it turns out it's actually a peach/coral and light Teal green theme.

So I don't know what to do. I'm disappointed...just so bummed when it came to my expectation.

Last edited:
My doll nightmare continues...

So leaked pictures and a video of the Designer Mulan are out. I saw them on IG thanks to @mmdisney200. Mulan is my favorite princess and I thought I would buy her no matter what, BUT her design is absolutely not where I thought it would go. She looks like a villain. I don't want to say it's ugly...but all black? What happened to the beautiful colors she used to wear in her gowns. How about something that resembles Chinese watercolors?

Help me please x_x...is there anyway to redeem the outfit leak I just saw?

I think she’s gorgeous. We need to remember these are designer dolls and meant to have a designer look to it, so of course the outfits will be different. She looks like she’s wearing a high end couture outfit to me.
That's the kind of information I think I need to hear. Thank you. I get stuck with the shock of seeing an outfit with very little context to enjoy it. If more information comes out about her outfit, maybe that will help me more too.

I'm really trying to come to terms with Mulan outfit. But I do feel like there's something missing around the waist or something to do with the pants... I just recently got onto sewing accessories, and I'm wondering if there's something I can do to add something to the waist. But I'm not so good at designer outfits, lol.

I hate to say it, but this version of Mulan reminds me of a female Jafar :/

Black has very negative connotations in China, symbolizing “destruction, evil, cruelty, and sadness. The Chinese word for black is 'hei' which stands for bad luck, irregularity, and illegality.”. While these meanings may go along with the movie Mulan, they’re hardly a celebration of Mulan’s character.

I agree with @Zhanneel that there’s something about the pants that’s unsettling. Maybe it’s their silhouette? They’re like wide-legged work pants.

Lastly, the shape of her head is too round, and she looks like a Bratz doll! Compared to Mulan’s matchmaker and Ping designer dolls, it’s way off!

I know Disney is trying to do something new with these dolls, but with the exceptions of Pocahontas, it’s been a rough ride.

So my Ariel just arrived in the mail and I know this is probably an unpopular opinion but to me She looks fantastic and even better in the box. The more I look at her the more I begin to understand why they made the design choices they did. Originally I thought She looked like an ode to Venus rising out of the ocean but I had wished she had a longer dress, but as her dress looks like she’s meant to rise out of the water , it makes it appear as if she is gaining her legs as she comes to shore which is pretty nice to me to have her legs displayed that way.

I’m in the minority but I have really been enjoying this line so far. I’m kind of glad that other collectors are not as thrilled about this series because at least the demand won’t be as intense this time around. I love this Ariel because it’s not an exact copy paste job of Ariel in her pink dress, but revamped with a new concept. I loved that about jasmine and Pocahontas too, and yes even MULAN!! (I’m definitely getting her) that their designs are something almost fantasy based, something fans and collectors would never have thought to put disney characters in. I love that! I don’t view that as bad , just subjective creativity so that collectors can just purchase the individual ones they like, instead of trying to collect all of them, though I really am hoping to get them all myself. That’s why I love this series. I’m actually being surprised every month. Past designer releases were great too, But the Designer series, the fairy tale designer couples, the masquerade series, to me a lot of them were looks I would have expected disney to do so I was never shocked or inspired. They were great but they felt like another walk in the park. This time around, I love that designers are reimagining the characters instead of reissuing the same characters with the same looks.

My doll nightmare continues...

So leaked pictures and a video of the Designer Mulan are out. I saw them on IG thanks to @mmdisney200. Mulan is my favorite princess and I thought I would buy her no matter what, BUT her design is absolutely not where I thought it would go. She looks like a villain. I don't want to say it's ugly...but all black? What happened to the beautiful colors she used to wear in her gowns. How about something that resembles Chinese watercolors?

Help me please x_x...is there anyway to redeem the outfit leak I just saw?
The designs for Mulan, Tiana and Aurora leaked several weeks ago. I'll attach the pic. It's not too far off from what I expected. Of course the pin designs are somewhat different from the final dolls as seen in the released pins. I think she's beautiful and by far my favorite in the collection so far. The black looks very elegant and mature. The only change I would make is giving her short hair like shown in the pin but the long hair doesn't bother me much.
263930925_5145923498756481_2294400696717640253_n.jpg

I will just say this....I think the designer dolls are a little more like the Premier. I see a lot of people comment over on facebook "this looks nothing like her character...or doesn't reflect the character..." - But if you think of her as an actress...as in, "hey look it's Mulan from Mulan!" (insert paparazzi) and she is showing up for a red carpet, it doesn't really have to be about the actual character, rather just the character who stared in the film, which is herself. lol. At least that is my take away when I see these :)

I will just say this....I think the designer dolls are a little more like the Premier. I see a lot of people comment over on facebook "this looks nothing like her character...or doesn't reflect the character..." - But if you think of her as an actress...as in, "hey look it's Mulan from Mulan!" (insert paparazzi) and she is showing up for a red carpet, it doesn't really have to be about the actual character, rather just the character who stared in the film, which is herself. lol. At least that is my take away when I see these :)
This is how I’ve been looking at them too! Reminds me of a runway outfit or like you say, red carpet outfit.

Catching up on all these leaks, and honestly I'm so much more impressed with the Mulan, Tiana, and Aurora designs than I have been the previous ones--Mulan, especially. Jaw-dropping.

I hate to say it, but this version of Mulan reminds me of a female Jafar :/

Black has very negative connotations in China, symbolizing “destruction, evil, cruelty, and sadness. The Chinese word for black is 'hei' which stands for bad luck, irregularity, and illegality.”. While these meanings may go along with the movie Mulan, they’re hardly a celebration of Mulan’s character.

I agree with @Zhanneel that there’s something about the pants that’s unsettling. Maybe it’s their silhouette? They’re like wide-legged work pants.

Lastly, the shape of her head is too round, and she looks like a Bratz doll! Compared to Mulan’s matchmaker and Ping designer dolls, it’s way off!

I know Disney is trying to do something new with these dolls, but with the exceptions of Pocahontas, it’s been a rough ride.
My co-worker is chinese and said that modern china, black is more of a formality color and doesnt necessarily mean evil or cruelty.

But i dont really know much about their culture too well, to be able to speak on it.

I see what everyone means by this particular Designer series being more of a runway look, if you take the character out of her movie context. In this way, the designers have a lot of wiggle room for interpretation of each dress. Less faithful to the character, but that might be the intention this time around.

That's interesting about the color of black regarding Chinese culture. I can see it both ways, being a color of formality or negatively. Again, up to the interpretation of the designer.

Hmm. On that note, I have another thought regarding the overall design of Mulan. I think it's very possible the designer did not balance the amount of black in her design. I understand if it's just me, but I feel like the black overwhelms the design. Something doesn't seem balanced color-wise. I agree that black has become a formal color, but unbalanced it can still have a negative connotation too. (This is coming from the opinion of someone who is not high fashion-minded, so there's that too, lol.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back