A Fake or a 2nd Run? DLRP Elena of Avalor

Discussion in 'Pin Comparison' started by ladyroselie, Dec 26, 2018.

1. ladyroselie

ladyroselie Water Talent Fairy

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0

I waited a little too long after the Disneyland Resort Paris Elena of Avalor OE pin came out in Jan. 2017 to pick one up and now there seem to be two different versions and also Hong Kong Fakes. I'm not sure if I have an original run and a second run that lost some detail, or if either is even real.

The pin on the left I bought from a seller in Canada, the one on the right from a seller in Paris. I think the Left might be real.

[​IMG]

The differences are:
    1. Eye color, Left is light grey and right is dark grey. The DLRP flyer art had brown.
    2. Left has nostrils, right has no indication of a nose.
    3. Left has darker skin. It doesn't show very much in person, but the camera really picks it up.
    4. Left has a light pink sash that stands out against the dress. Right has a darker pink sash that blends in with the red dress even more in person then the pictures show.
    5. Left the bracelet has turquoise colored fill, right the bracelet has skin colored fill.
    6. Left has a shimmer with tiny sparkle flakes, Right has rather large sparkle flakes.

[​IMG]

The backs look the same to me:

[​IMG]

The cards have different FAC numbers:

[​IMG]

They aren't the scary versions being sold from Hong Kong (pic credit eBay). Yikes!

[​IMG]

Any thoughts? Does anyone own this pin that can shed some light on if there were multiple runs, with details getting lost? I might even have two fakes here, but I think the right one is at least legit, she looks the most like the concept art from the Paris flyer:

[​IMG]

2. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    81   0   0

Your right pin also appears to have sharp edges at the bottom and on the right.

3. ladyroselie

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0

Yes they do look a little rough. I've seen edges like that direct from Disney before, but it is suspicious. Weird thing is, I've bought stuff from that seller before that was never faked, totally legit, and it seems like they buy merch right from the parks.

4. chubs191

chubs191 Beautiful Tomorrow Admirer

Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0

I had a friend who had one bought as a Christmas present from DLP for his friend last year. She looked nothing like the Pinpics listing if that helps. He thought it was fake, except it came directly from the park.

5. ladyroselie

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0

Thank you that does help! I haven't seen any that looked like the PinPics listing either, which seems to be directly from the flyer art (DLRP January 2017). I'm displaying the one on the left with my collection, mainly because she actually has a nose and the bracelet has color.

6. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    81   0   0

Maybe your seller just grabbed a poor quality pin. I remember going through the Frozen
    snowflake pins at DLR trying to find one decent pin because the Quality Control was so
    poor.

7. ladyroselie

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0

That would make sense. Hmmm...

The SKU numbers are the same and match PinPics, I just wish I knew why the FAC numbers are different. I don't know much about that part of pin trading.

8. TonkaToy

TonkaToy Si & Am Lover!

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

FAC numbers always seem to change, even on pins purchased at a park...
    I don't rely on them too heavily as an indicator - unless it is absent - then I get suspicious. :)

9. ladyroselie

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0

Thank you! I don't know much about how that works. It does make me think they are two different runs, but how could they forget to give her a nose?!

TonkaToy likes this.
  10. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    525   0   0

No idea, but Paris makes such lovely pins.

ladyroselie likes this.
  11. ladyroselie

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0

They certainly do! I always find myself buying them, but I need to do it quickly after release because they seem to also get faked fast!

starry_solo likes this.
  12. TonkaToy

TonkaToy Si & Am Lover!

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

I think the FAC numbers refer to which factory produced the pin. So maybe they change based on where they are produced? Could more than one factory put out the same pins? Probably...

13. ladyroselie

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0

I didn't know that, thank you. It makes sense, one factory was clearly WAY more quality then the other. I do feel like DLP pins in general have been dipping in quality in the last year. I love their designs though, so hopefully they get back on track!