• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

After 21 years - Time to refocus collection

After 21 years - Time to refocus collection

figment919

Super Active DPF Member
Rating - 100%
169   0   0
Well, I guess that this day would eventually come. After 21 years as a "Villains Completist" collector it is time to narrow down what I am interested in going forward. I am going to stay with my two favorite Villains, Scar and Hades. I am not going to go after all of the rest.

Why? Just too many mystery sets, blind mystery boxes and LE's that are just too expensive. Economics is playing a big part in my decision, but it certainly is not the only reason.

I am not changing my past Wants/Trades, just keeping to Scar and Hades going forward. The Curse of being a Completist collector has finally caught up with me lol!!

Mike S.
Figment919

Well, I guess that this day would eventually come. After 21 years as a "Villains Completist" collector it is time to narrow down what I am interested in going forward. I am going to stay with my two favorite Villains, Scar and Hades. I am not going to go after all of the rest.

Why? Just too many mystery sets, blind mystery boxes and LE's that are just too expensive. Economics is playing a big part in my decision, but it certainly is not the only reason.

I am not changing my past Wants/Trades, just keeping to Scar and Hades going forward. The Curse of being a Completist collector has finally caught up with me lol!!

Mike S.
Figment919
Honestly, it's liberating... It's what made me enjoy my collections again.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Mike S.
Figment919
I TOTALLY get the "Why" .... so many pins, from so many places.

Plus, the prices, yes, getting to way to high for my pocket book.

And I can relate to @MerlinEmrys comment above too.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Yeah, that's a heck of a lot of pins to collect. And the number of places releasing them (Loungefly, PALM, even Disney Pins Blog) just keeps increasing. Limiting to Scar and Hades sounds a lot more manageable, but still quite a bit. Regardless, have fun!

I totally feel your pain - both economically and pragmatically. With all the new sources for pins popping up and with licensees like Loungefly and others releasing pins in a seemingly never ending flow every week, it's gotten harder and harder to be a completist even within my one film (and related attractions) theme. I'm hanging in there but it gets harder with every passing day.

Even my secondary "collect only what I like" in Marvel is getting to be a lot. I really need to pare that one down. But there are just so many pins in it that I like! lol

I think your new ISO plan is smart @figment919

Mostly, I stick with the one's I like also. As a Mickey collector, I actually need to refocus my Mickey collection and weed out pins that I gained, but actually don't really like (anymore.) Tastes change and mine certainly have.

I agree that the number of new pins coming out these days is overwhelming. Glad I only collect ones direct from US Disney. So no loungefly, PALM, etc for me. I don't even have to worry about Disneyland Paris, etc. But I am also very much NOT a completist even for what I do collect.

Well, I guess that this day would eventually come.

Mike S.
Figment919
@figment919
Mike, I feel your pain. :( :(
TOO MANY pins from TOO MANY sources! ! Like all these recent Tigger & friends Loungefly Blind Box sets!! I can't keep up. :(

Don't even get me started about the $$ required to keep up with WDI/DEC Cinderella pins!! :(

Thank Goodness I've never tried to be complete overall. Just some subcategories like all Tigger and Cinderella USA Hidden Mickey pins for example.

Time, space & $$ has me rethinking my collecting future as well. Keeping it to pins I REALLY like will help.

Best of Luck with Scar and Hades collecting!! :) :) :) :tigger:

I have two collections that I've stopped collecting. One was almost completist, too. All of a sudden there were too many coming out, some being extremely difficult to find, but worse, pins get released and those who have access to them decide they are worth $100 or more and there's no way to keep up with that. I've complained about that before but now it's ended two collections. I will probably get rid of those collections that I worked so hard for because now they aren't fun. They just make me sad. I used to wonder how anyone could form a collection and then just not want them anymore. Now I understand that.

I have two collections that I've stopped collecting. One was almost completist, too. All of a sudden there were too many coming out, some being extremely difficult to find, but worse, pins get released and those who have access to them decide they are worth $100 or more and there's no way to keep up with that. I've complained about that before but now it's ended two collections. I will probably get rid of those collections that I worked so hard for because now they aren't fun. They just make me sad. I used to wonder how anyone could form a collection and then just not want them anymore. Now I understand that.

Tiggeriffic, I urge you not to make any decisions about your collections until some time has passed. Even if you never add another pin to them, there might come a time when you get enjoyment from them again. It would be terrible to let them go and then regret it.

Tiggeriffic, I urge you not to make any decisions about your collections until some time has passed. Even if you never add another pin to them, there might come a time when you get enjoyment from them again. It would be terrible to let them go and then regret it.
Thank you, that's good advice! I have been thinking about this for a few years now, but I haven't done anything yet.

Back